“If you like roaches, bed bugs & filth...then this hotel takes top honors!”

Masters Inn Charleston North
Ranked #55 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Brentwood, New York
“If you like roaches, bed bugs & filth...then this hotel takes top honors!”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Wow! Where do I begin? Even though I had read reviews beforehand, my mom & I were on a very tight budget, so I naively convinced myself "it can't be that bad." Boy, was I wrong. The outside of the hotel looks decent enough (in the daytime), but as soon as we walked in the room, we knew we had made a terrible mistake. However, we had booked for 6 days so we were stuck. The first thing that struck us was the moldy, mildewy smell of the room. Now for THE LIST of all the other things wrong w/the room: the carpet was absolutely gross & filthy. Stains everywhere...even though the carpet was a dark green, you could still see deep stains. We did not walk on the carpet in our bare feet, but rather socks. The socks were thrown out the next morning. Also, the carpet looked as though it hadn't been vacuummed in quite some time. The bedspreads were grimy. Totally gross & disgusting. Just sitting on them made me itch. The dresser, TV & top of the microwave were very dusty as if they, too, hadn't been cleaned in a while. The bathoom floor was dirty, as was the toilet (especially under the rim) & behind the door. The shower curtain had a huge hole right in the center. There was an ironing board, but no iron (even though there was a holder for the iron). Above my mom's bed was a fist-sized hole in the wall. One light did not work - despite the light bulb still in the socket. The corner by the door was stained brown (rust or mildew?). The curtain was filthy on both sides. The door did not have a secure lock - not even a chain lock. The table & 2 chairs were gross, especially the chairs - very grimy & dusty. The phonebook had several cigarette burns on the front cover. We literally were afraid to touch anything. The tub took 20 minutes to drain properly. On the very first day, my mom killed two small spiders. That same day, we drove to Wal-Mart & the dollar store & bought $20 worth of cleaning supplies - including a bath mat - and cleaned the entire room. We at least made it liveable. On the fourth day, I killed a baby roach on the wall by the sink (I did not tell my mom this until we were safely on the plane ride home because I knew she would've been really upset). Turns out she had found something, too - but didn't tell me until after we had checked out. She turned on the air conditioner & saw what looked to be tiny (mouse?) droppings in the vent. The hotel was also very lax on providing the basic amenities like toilet paper, kleenex, soap & towels. Every day we had to go to the front desk to ask for an extra set of towels. We never got a full extra set - washcloth, hand towel & bath towel. Usually, it was 1 out of 3 or, if were lucky, 2 out of 3. They were always "out of towels" or "only had 1 washcloth left." We got so tired of asking for soap & toilet paper that we ended up just buying our own. One day, we returned to the room to find that the maid - although surprisingly leaving us 2 washcloths - did NOT remove the wet, used towels on the floor in the bathroom NOR did she empty the two wastebaskets. How can housekeeping go into a room & not perform the basic tenets? Well, should we have really been that surprised? They don't clean properly, after all. I felt like telling the front desk the reason they "don't have any towels" is because housekeeping leaves the dirty, used ones on the floor instead of taking them to the laundry to wash them!!!! What laziness! One day, we were about to pull out in our car & we saw a maid stop her cart in front of a room. We purposedly watched her. Puffing on a cigarette & a cell phone in one hand, she walked into a room w/a plastic bag, came back out 2 minutes later w/no bag in hand & went to the next room. 2 whole minutes in a room. Did not take in any cleaning supplies, no towels, no vaccuum cleaner!!! Unbelievable. Despite all this, I still haven't told you the worst. I can't tell you what the sheets & pillows looked like because thankfully, we had brought some with us. We slept on top of our sheets the whole time - there was no way we were going to pull those grimy bedspreads over us. Well, now the worst - I sleep on my left side & always extend my left arm over & across the bed. I woke up the next day w/several red marks on my left arm & the left side of my forehead. At first, I thought maybe it was just a heat rash, but after the second day, about 20 more tiny bumps had erupted on my forearm & itched like crazy. It was so bad that I went to a "minute clinic" & was told they were bed bug bites! I was given an antihistimine & even though it's been a week later, the bites are still visible (although not as bad). Guest laundry was out of order all week as was the pool (although we probably wouldn't have swam anyway - who knew what was living in that water). VERY TERRIBLE HOTEL EXPERIENCE. VERY FILTHY, GROSS & DISGUSTING. INEXCUSABLE CONDITION. I've also sent a letter to the South Carolina Department of Health to report Masters Inn. My mom & I chalked it up to a learning experience. We will never stay below the level of at least a Holiday Inn again. Final grade for Masters Inn in Mount Pleasant, SC - F minus x 100!

Room Tip: You'd be better off sleeping in your car
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank M C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2011

This hotel does not keep reservation for they customers we have confinmation numbers 97D70HFM4P4 and in our email account we have the confinmation about our rooms. The clerk is not friendly and when showed all the information she still would not show no care about where we stayed atnor did she try to find us a room or 2 . We requested to speak to the office manager and she would not make contact with her to talk to us about this situation and it was very unprofessional and not handled in the right way for this to be an hotel. While riding around in Carolina we called back and asked to have the manager to come up and speak with us about this and she stated "I am checking in a customer and I do not have time to relate a message from you to her".

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank MzKel78
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We needed an inexpensive hotel for 2 nights in Charleston, and this was the cheapest we could find. It was pretty much clean (except for the bathtub...NASTY). The room was good sized and the staff was friendly. I overheard someone saying they found a roach in their room, but thankfully that did not happen to us. This hotel worked for what we needed-a last minute, inexpensive place to stay. I'd stay here again...but only if I couldn't afford anything else.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank minnietoTN
North Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Wow. I can sum it up in one word.
My husband and I came down to SC from MA while he is working for Boeing. We found Masters Inn online and liked the 35.00 a night rate. We opted to stay for 3 weeks, at $220 a week (we have cats). The first room the girl put us in was a catastrophe, the AC was broken and I counted 3 roaches skittering away from the light, the room smelled.
I asked to be moved, and we were, this room hadn't been cleaned yet, but I allowed the maid to come in and clean, not wanting to complain again. After she straightened it out it was okay...HOWEVER... Occasionally roaches would find their way into my room, my cats would deal with them, but still. On two occasions I asked to be moved into an efficiency in the back of the building, both times the request was ignored, ,as other people moved into those rooms, who didn't reserve them. The microwave barely worked, the fridge froze everything, not to be fixed. Eventually the mold in the room began to irritate my asthma, and I was hospitalized for it.
Now the management, who I had extensive dealings with, the "general manager", was condescending and rude, made absolutely no attempt to resolve any of the problems we were having, and no attempt to quiet the mobs of people who liked to fight and scream at one another in the wee hours of the morning. The "head of maintenence/security" runs the place like a cell block, and I think, honestly believes he OWNS the hotel. He starts fights, and gets people arrested/kicked out daily, even when they did nothing to deserve it. Look at him the wrong way, your @$$ is out.
People dealt drugs in front of their rooms, smoked crack and meth behind the building, at one point there was a prostitute, "servicing" customers within the building.
The tiny pool was filthy and obviously never got cleaned.
Masters Inn on Rivers Avenue is a veritable haven for criminals, drug dealers and prostitutes who don't want to be found. The resident cop doesn't do much to settle things down when they get rough, he drives through, waves, and parks at the entrance for a quick nap.
At first, the front desk people were nice, very friendly and welcoming, they'd even reccomend good places to eat and shop...However, eventually they all turn. For no apparent reason, they become rude to everyone. I guess if they see you more than once, they figure they can treat you however they please.
When we were finally put in an efficiency room, the stove was falling apart and smelled whenever you fired it up, the rooms are so dark and musty. In a photo on one of the walls, you could actually see black mold growing. I never had such a hard time with my asthma than while at Masters Inn.
I paid for 3 weeks, and of course, even if it's their fault you want to leave, won't refund your money.
The one up-side to Masters Inn was the cleaning personnel were VERY nice. So sweet and friendly and compassionate.
And lastly, I wouldn't park your vehicle at Masters Inn either. I woke up one day to find my front tire flat, because someone had broken a beer bottle, and it punctured my tire!
If you want to stay in N. Charleston and you can't afford alot, stay clear of Masters Inn...I'd avoid the one in Mount Pleasant, as well, the "general manager's" husband runs that one.
Airport Inn on Dorchester Rd is better, cleaner and about the same price per week. Boeing employees get a discount, knocking your rate down to $204 a week.
Good Luck!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank SAnne088
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I booked with this hotel (unfortunately) before reading the bad reviews. We were on a very tight budget and $35 a night sounded awesome to me. Anyway, my 9 year old daughter and I drove in at night to check in. I am a young white woman who lives in a nearly all-black apartment complex in a big city, so it's safe to say I'm not naive and I'm certainly not scared of other races. I'm also used to seeing bugs and homeless people.

I had read the bad online reviews by this time, but thought to myself, "How bad can it possibly be?" and we went anyway. Well, it was worse than bad. The minute we drove up, the first thing we saw was two guys smoking drugs out of a glass pipe right in the parking lot, by the bushes. I'm not even kidding. There were disheveled, cracked out looking people just sitting on the ground, and some wandering around. Everyone was staring at us like we were from another planet. Some men were screaming and cursing and it sounded like a fight was happening, although we couldn't see it. A younger man walked past our car with an ice bucket, and peered suspiciously into our window. When he turned around to walk away I could SEE his gun stashed in the back of his jeans. Another guy was peeing on the ground. My daughter started shaking like a leaf and said "Mom, don't get out." I reassured her that I was thinking the same thing. They could have my $35, we were leaving! So, we never even made it inside the front door of the lobby. Where was the security guard(s) mentioned in other reviews? Nowhere in sight.

As we backed out to drive away, one of the crackheads ran up to my car and tried to yank the door open. I peeled out so hard I almost knocked him over. He started screaming "GIVE ME A RIDE!" Me and my kid were both in tears by the time we got back on the freeway. We drove several miles away and stayed at the Quality Inn instead, and it was well worth it. Please do not even THINK of going to this hotel, especially with children. It was more like a homeless shelter than a motel. And if you are nuts and decide to chance it anyway, you should probably come armed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
11 Thank EAJonesNC
Budapest
Reviewed November 4, 2010

It was the worst hotel in my life! I was so dirty, feels like urine in the carpet! Pet friendly hotel with pet urine! But good locations, and cheap and thats all! Sleeping dont touch everything, dont walk on the floot without shoes! Terrible!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank tamasBudapest
Sweden
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Start with the good: It was cheap. And... here the "good" ends!

Area: Was there a reason the police drove by a couple of times every hour? I think so!
I am very open minded and not easily scared, but I did not feel comfortable here at all!
The first thing that happened when we got there was my friend had to kill a fairly large cockroach. I killed a small one during the night as well...
Went to get ice, and it was in the lobby area. Fine, not a problem the first night. The next night the lobby was locked and the police officer that unlocked it for me told me it was for the staff's security... Once inside you couldn't get out without someone unlocking the door for you. That is totally unacceptable security-wise in my eyes, so I did not go back there after that!
There was supposed to be coffee available in the lobby area in the mornings. "Out of order" the sign said for the days we were there. C'mon, how hard can it be to get a temporary coffee-brewer going?!
Internet supposedly available in... you guessed it, lobby area only. It wasn't availble when I was there, and with the locking/unlocking situation I didn't make any more attempts.
No housekeeping done while we were gone during the day. Actually we didn't mind that so much, since we really didn't anyone opening our room and possibly leaving the door open (as we have seen in other places)...
Our room had a very powerful mildew smell in it. I suspect that's why my friend had to take her asthma medicine that she usually can stay off.
I usually take bad reviews with a grain (or a handful) of salt since it seems I'm far more tolerant to all sorts of things than most people, but this was really a BAD place!
Very cheap though...