“Worst Hotel Experience of My Life...Will never stay at IHG properties AGAIN!!!”

Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed at Crowne Plaza on March 6 with my boyfriend for my birthday. Requested a single king or queen room but was given 2 small double beds. My room was facing the atrium where the bar was located and it was very noisy.The decor is beautiful and very modern but the layout of the rooms prevents a quiet night's rest. On March 10th I checked my bank statement and saw that I was charged $200 extra than I was supposed to be charged. I work night shift so as soon as I saw the charge I immediately called the hotel to inquire about the additional charges. I spoke with the Night Auditor Johnathan who was very rude to me. He informed me that I had been charged a $200 smoking fee. He stated that he smelled marijuana coming from my room and when he tried to put the bill under my door he couldn't because it was blocked. I don't smoke neither does my boyfriend. I asked who could I talk to get these charges refunded and he rudely stated "Maybe if you call during the day and not at 3am you could speak to Summer,she's the manager." I contacted Summer in the morning and experienced the same rudeness and abrasiveness as I had with Johnathan. Summer notified me that I had been charged a $200 smoking fee and accused me of smoking marijuana in my room. She stated that security had notified her that a smell of marijuana was coming from my room but they did not want to get the authorities involved. I called the front desk that morning for toothbrushes and toothpaste,had to go down stairs and get the toothbrush and toothpaste from the front desk clerk AND spoke to the front desk clerk before I left. Not once did she try to give me my bill or notify of any additional fees. If Johnathan,security or whoever felt that illicit drug use was going on in my room they should have notified the authorities. As previously mentioned I could hear everything that was going in the atrium/bar from my room with the door closed. If I could hear downstairs then any noise I made could possibly be heard so I blocked my door which is my right. I spoke with someone at the front desk 3 times before I checked out that morning...a phone call, a knock at the door; any type of notification of an additional fee and the suspicion of an illicit drug being used in my room would have been nice!!! I sent an email to ihg's guest relations with no response so I called the 1800 only for them to tell me to speak to a manager at the hotel. I have NEVER been treated in such a manner. I felt like I was treated like a dog. I will NEVER stay at another IHG property again after being treated the way I was treated.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hollydawn, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
This matter has been researched while you were at the property and after you checked out of the hotel. I stand behind and support the decisions made by the managers and staff. I apologize if you feel like you have been mistreated by any of the staff. I take all reviews about this hotel to be serious; however, I view the account that your write about to be different. Mark Mitchell General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Upon booking we specified a 1 large queen or kingsize bed and not two double beds, we were given 2 very squeeky double beds. We always specify one bed as families with small children normally take the two doubles and kids in hotel rooms tend to bounce around on beds. When we arrived at the hotel there was nobody to ve seen from the ouside and when I went inside to enquire about assistance with luggage I was met by a "supervisor" with the worst attitude I've ever come across in any of the hotels we stayed in before. This is listed as a 4 star hotel, yet there wasn't even bottled water available in the room. We'll definitely make sure no one we know or nobody who asks us for recommendations in this area will avoid booking at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hollydawn, Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We pride ourselves on the service we extend to our guests. Service is a major focus for the hotel, and we failed this with you. I apologize for the bed situation. None of our beds at the hotel are double in size; they are either King size or Queen size. We strive to give each and every guest great service and a great product. Neither our standard, nor your expectations were met. I hate that our true representation was not extended to you during your stay. Mark Mitchell General Manager
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This place could actually be so much better than it is. The bar and restaurant need serious help. If there are more than 4 or 5 people there at one time, good luck! The bartenders have to run their own food, which leads to long waits for drinks. If you want coffee after 7am, it has to be waitress service. Totally ridiculous. They have one bartender who is fantastic - I believe her name is Stephanie? Could be wrong. The front desk and housekeeping staff are great. Always a smile, always say good morning. Awesome. They seriously need to fix that front entrance. Not fun dragging suitcases over cobblestones. I always stay here when I'm in town and recommend it. Just hope they take care of the little things.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Niagara Falls
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I am not sure I would stay here again. The room was nicely furnished but small. Clean and comfortable beds. The biggest problem was the door to the bathroom is a sliding door and would not stay closed so you go in, close the door and turn around and it was open a few inches. Also the toilet was so loud it woke up everyone in the room and I could hear the neighbours toilet as well.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Liketotravel68,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is lovely to hear you liked your room and found the bed clean and comfortable. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced with regards to the bathroom. I assure you the feedback we receive will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Forest Park, Illinois
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This hotel should get a five star rating, the rooms are great and very comfortable, mine was right next to the elevator bank and I didn't even know it was there, The staff was very helpful and took care of everthing. It is located across the street from a shopping mall that is surouded by every resturant chain known to man. The only problem is the inhouse resturant, was not up to standards of the rest of the hotel. The one time I ate there the service was very slow and the menu is very over priced. I highly recomend this hotel as a place to stay when in Charleston both because if it's location and the the comfortble and elegant rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Some friends and I traveled down to Charleston for a half marathon and we selected the Crowne Plaza due to the convenient location of the finish line. It was right across from the Tanger Outlets, and minutes from downtown Charleston. The service in the hotel was fabulous and each employee was welcoming and hospitable. We also enjoyed drinks at the bar one night as well as breakfast one morning. Everything was beyond our expectations. If you are looking to stay in North Charleston, the Crowne Plaza should be your pick!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Grovetown
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My fiance and I checked into this hotel for a weekend visit to Charleston, SC. We are quite the hotel snobs, so we tend to be very selective in which hotels we choose to stay. The Crowne Plaze is usually a great choice. This one, however, doesn't even come close to the standards that I have seen in other Crowne Plazas in other locations.

This hotel looks like a Crowne Plaza. The rooms are nice enough. We had no problem with the cleanliness. But the service and the noise was almost too much to handle. The service was lackluster at best. Everything was done at the employee's own pace. More than once I was standing in the lobby waiting to talk to a front desk representative, but they were to busy with their computer screen to look up at me. I had to approach the desk almost completely before I was even acknowledged.

The worst part about the hotel is the noise. It is a horrible setup. Like many hotels, all of the rooms face inward, toward an interior "courtyard" like lobby. In the center of this is the bar. Both Friday and Saturday night was incredibly noisy and there were just a handful of patrons at the bar. So, both of us were looking forward to sleeping in late on Sunday morning since we didn't get to bed until quite late Saturday night...due to the noise. Well, on Sunday morning at 7am we started to hear drums and other musicians as a church (that apparently takes place in one of their ballrooms) was warming up. At 8am a church service began that was loud enough for the whole hotel to attend without leaving our room. The noise made this one of the worst hotel experiences that we have had in a long time.

great location? yep. Clean rooms? Sure. Relaxing environment? absoltuely not! The next time that we visit Charleston, we will find another place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Micanda1202
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Micanda1202,

Thank you for your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret your was negatively impacted by the noise challenges you experienced. We don't want any guest inconvenienced and rest assured that your comments will be used for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D