“The Worst I Have Experience”

Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center
Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I Attended a Family Reunion July 12-13th, 2013 in Charleston. The Banquet was held at the Crown Plaza on the July 12, 2013. The Food Was Cold, and Beverage was warm. The waiter staff was lack of and very rude. Unprofessional is not even a word I can say. It should have been accommodation for at least 140 people. Family members was coming in without seating. Needless to say family members show roaches crawling on the banquet floor and staff was dropping plates the two that was serving.

The Family Reunion also held a Ice Cream Social July 13th and needless to say we also had a problem that night as well of refusing to serve more ice cream. Family requested bowl and also stated they would go out and purchase more ice cream Crown Plaza refuse to give bowls.

If this is the service that is offered to customers in which is traveling from different states to come and enjoy a family gathering we as customer will never spend money with you again in life. This experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth for the Crown Plaza, Charleston, SC. This service that you provided I wouldn't give to my worst enemy.

This will be the worst family reunion I every attended. Thanks for spoiling a moment that would never be get back a first impression is a lasting one and in my book you are no then a 1 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LaVIda M
Hollydawn, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear LaVida,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know that the comfort and treatment of our guests is our #1 Priority. It is disappointing to hear that your banquet experience was not a positive one. I was surprised and upset to read your comments as our Catering Department and I both received positive feedback from your family members and planner that weekend. It is also unfortunate that any bug issue was not brought to our attention during the event as we would have addressed this issue right away. We have not had any issues or guest complaints regarding bugs in the past.

I was at the hotel the night of your families Ice Cream Social. The planner ordered and paid for a set number of guests for ice cream. When I found out that additional people showed up unexpectedly, I personally went and scooped 15 additional bowls of ice cream for the family members at no charge and brought them out to the patio. Sometimes it is hard for a planner to know and plan financially for a drop-in social event, so I was more than happy to help her and your family with the additional complimentary ice cream.

Again, I thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in giving great service and your comments will be shared with our staff to help improve for future family reunions. I am sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience and I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you next time you are in the area.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I can't say enough about this hotel. My buddies and I were on our way home from a golf trip and had our flights cancelled. United gave us vouchers for the Crowne Plaza for the night. The free shuttle to the hotel was late, which dampened our moods, but the courtesy at the Front Desk and particularly from the Manager (sorry I forgot his name) who gave us a drink voucher immediately lifted our spirits. Our rooms were great - very spacious, clean and filled with modern amenities. Being on the tail end of our trip, we immediately went to the hotel bar, which itself was a great space with ample seating, to watch Sunday Night Baseball, and we were very pleased to find out that the bar was open until 2:00 a.m. and that dinner from the restaurant could be served at the bar (while we watched the game). The bartender was excellent, and the dinner was surprisingly good (I highly recommend the fried chicken). Despite the hotel being relatively full, there was no noise when we retired for the night. The hotel had no problem arranging for a super-early shuttle to the airport the next morning, which was on time. There was no hassle with the airline vouchers. In short, it was a classic case of lemonade out of lemons - what could have been an awful situation after a cancelled flight turned into a fun and restful extra night at a great hotel. Thanks very much Crowne Plaza!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

the hotel is very nice; room is very spacious, modern and comfortable. Its location is very conveniently located across the street from the Tanger Outlet and a 5-min drive from the airport. Except the positive was overshadowed by the negative experience i had at Sweetgrass, the hotel's restaurant. Rather than addressing me as a guest at "table x" on the restaurant check, the waitress referred to me a "chinese lady," which i find very offensive. it is very unfortunate because when friends and family ask about my stay at the Crowne Plaza, that's the first thing i tell them.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Hollydawn, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I too find the ticket description wrong and not an acceptable practice at the restaurant. This will be researched, addressed and corrected immediately. I ask that you stay with us again next time you are in town.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Once again I had an amazing 2 night stay at this property. Corey and Matt address me by name every time I check in. Best service you will find. The bellman went out of his way to help me as well as the restaurant staff. Im usually a Mills House or downtown embassy suites guy, but you can not beat this property. Better rooms at a value rate. It's a $30 ride from downtown in a town car.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for the review. We all look forward to seeing you next time you are in town.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We checked into this hotel after our original hotel was overbooked and this hotel was one of the only in the area that had availability and a "suite" since we were traveling with our 2 year old that takes naps and goes to sleep early. We paid top dollar for a suite since it clearly states on their website and I copied and pasted this description: 1 KING BED EXECUTIVE SUITE NONSMOKING-THIS SPACIOUS KING SUITE FEATURES A PRIVATE SLEEPING AREA. We walked into a single room with a couch and big bathroom, there was no private sleeping area or anything that could be called that. We were so disappointed and had to take our luggage back downstairs as we were not paying a suite price when it was not in fact a suite. The front desk person said it was considered a suite because it had a couch. As we passed by a housekeeper, we asked her if there were any rooms with private sleeping areas and she said no. The room we were booked in was mainly occupied by honeymooners since it has a fancy bathroom. The hotel had 2 rooms available so we moved to an executive room on the first floor with 2 beds. There was nothing executive about it and I will post pictures to show what I mean. The floors were disgusting, the toilet handle was falling off and the beds were so old and used that every time you got up or sat down, it made an awful noise. Keep in mind we were trying to tip toe around our sleeping 2 year old in the bed right next door. There was a small kitchen area with a sink and refrig which came in handy but we found a razor blade next to the refrig that must of been there from the remodel but it was easily visible and we were thankful that our daughter did not find it first. Luckily we were only in town for 2 nights on business as we even tried to use the pool but it was cloudy and not clean at all. There were beer bottles, wine glasses, even broken glasses and towels thrown everywhere. This was the case both days when we went out there and it was the same glasses from the day before. We were so tired from having to move from our originally booked hotel that we didn't want to do it again. We were on a time schedule and really just made the best of it for the 2 nights. I actually tried to contact the hotel upon departure but was never contacted back. I wanted to give them a fair shot before posting our horrible experience, everyone deserves a chance but there was never any follow up and this was 2 weeks ago. There are so many much better and cleaner choices in North Charleston and it really was our choice to stay here in the first place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank vacation920

First of all, I apologize for your stay. What you encountered is not the type of service or the experience that our guest should receive. We take great efforts in giving each and every guest a quality product and great guest service. Your pictures show less than acceptable standards for this hotel or me. I assure you that each of your comments has been addressed with the proper departments and procedures will not allow this to happen again. I take great pride in training and coaching all the staff in order to deliver something special and creating positive memorable moments. Your stay fell short on both, and is not the norm for us. I would like to have that conversation with you, and discuss your stay. I can be reached at 843.744.4422.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed there 4 nights.. It was good until Saturday night when they booked a family reunion. The reunion partied in the lobby and due to the hotel being open up, we could hear and see everything. However, the staff made sure it was shut down around midnight. Next time, we will make sure we do not come during holiday weekend in the Summer.

The front desk and other staff members were so nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 1st or 2nd floor. If family reunion, you will not get much sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Hollydawn, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for staying with us while in Charelston and thank you for your comments. Your review is important to me and will help improve our guests' stays over busy holiday weekend. Enjoy your summer and again, thank you.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our weekend stay at the Crown Plaza - Charleston Airport. It's located in the perfect location across from the Tanger Outlet, lots of restaurants and less than a ten minute drive to downtown Charleston,
The staff was so friendly and helpful during our stay. They were sold out due to a family reunion and a class reunion ... sometimes that can mean poor service but not in this case. We received OUTSTANDING service all weekend long. I know they were beyond busy but they were always smiling and offering assistance or directions .. or just simplify making sure everything was okay with our stay.
I would love stay here again and will tell anyone traveling in the area about my awesome experience..

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We all hope to see you back at the Crowne Plaza Charleston next time you are in town.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Charleston
Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention
Embassy Suites by Hilton North C...
#14 of 58 in North Charleston
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North Charleston - Convention Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North...
#3 of 58 in North Charleston
King Charles Inn
King Charles Inn
#19 of 61 in Charleston
Hyatt Place Charleston Airport and Convention Center
Hyatt Place Charleston Airport a...
#2 of 58 in North Charleston

Been to Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center? Share your experiences!