“Very enjoyable stay”

Ranked #14 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Mount Vernon, New York
“Very enjoyable stay”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay during our 3 nights at this hotel. The room was very clean and big (like you would expect at a Springhill) and we had plenty of room for 3 adults to stay. There is a tv, couch, computer desk, mini fridge, microwave, sink, glasses, plasticware and plates, and an iHome alarm clock (which was very convenient for listening to music and charging my iPhone at the same time). The room is very accessible. If you had someone in a wheelchair or scooter, they would fit fine. My dad is also 6'4" and on the larger side and he had no problems.

Pros: The hot breakfast downstairs and 24/7 coffee is great and the attendant was the sweetest woman I've ever met. They have fresh fruit (strawberries, melon, pineapple, and watermelon), oatmeal, eggs, some kind of meat (we had pork sausages one of the days and biscuits and gravy on the others), yogurt, OJ, milk, cereal, toast, bagels, english muffins.... hmm am I leaving anything out? They restock it regularly.

Pro: The hotel is very close to the airport (within 3 miles I believe) so it was very convenient when we had to leave. It is about a 15 minute drive into the heart of Charleston. We stayed from a Saturday to a Tuesday and never had to deal with overwhelming traffic. It was a straight shot down into the city. It is also a convenient location for getting over to Isle of Palms, which is about 20 minutes away and Mt. Pleasant where the Boone Plantation is. That is also a 15-20 minute drive, with most of it highway.

Cons: The breakfast area gets frustrating. Too many pushy people who haven't eaten and have low blood sugar, so they're cranky. :) Also, the oatmeal is always watery, the eggs don't really taste like anything (time to add some ketchup, salt, and pepper!) and the waffles are only served on weekends.

Con: The pool isn't really a "pool." It's more like an oversized hot tub. I have never seen such a tiny pool in a hotel. It is the size of an in-ground pool that you would put in someone's backyard. If you enjoy getting splashed in the face by other peoples' children, then this is the pool for you - but don't expect to relax here.

Recommended updates: The office chair in our room was clearly many years old with the "leather" missing in certain spots. We found out downstairs that they are on a 5-year cycle and it just ended in June, so they are starting to update their furniture now. The only reason I am mentioning it is because it was an eyesore in what otherwise was a perfect and spotless room.

We would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 24, 2014

had a good experience at this hotel. We are a family of 3 and had a room with 2 double beds. Plenty of pillows, clean, friendly staff. Overall a good experience. Wished the continental breakfast ran a little later, we missed it.

1 Thank Jeannie M
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Our room was clean and inviting, the young lady who checked us in was friendly and helpful. During breakfast, there was a wonderful lady trying to make sure everyone was happy while she made waffles. Breakfast, though, was the one shortcoming. I think that with a full hotel, they were just overwhelmed. When I went down, I thought breakfast was over. Sausage was empty, eggs were almost, too. So were the bagels. I was assured that there was more coming and it did. Unfortunately, in the rush, the sausage was still cold. I was still very pleased with breakfast, in fact, very glad to have one.

Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect but decided to trust reviewers and glad that I did!! My husband brought me to Charleston for my birthday on yesterday. This was my first trip and the prices for hotels downtown seemed exorbitant. Springhill had garnered a multitude of positive Trip Advisor reviews and they were accurate. Prices were manageable, especially if you prepay online or by phone. The king room was spotless, comfortable, roomy, and relaxing. Kala checked us in within five minutes. She is very personable and helpful. She even checked us in as soon as we arrived - thirty minutes early. My husband and I give this hotel great ratings. I thought that the location would be isolated but it is within a short distance of eateries and retail stores. It was also within less than 30 minutes to downtown Charleston and a great beach...Isle of Palms Beach. We normally vacation in Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head but IOP Beach is now among my favorites! Clean, well appointed, great parking. Don't miss this beach! Also, visit and walk the Ravenell Bridge and then visit the park and pier under the bridge. You will not be disappointed! Beautiful water view, swings, meticulous grounds. Watch the ships and sailboats from the pier. There is also a snack shop, clean restrooms, outdoor tables, etc. we also parked at the waterfront downtown and enjoyed a leisurely walk along the waterway and through downtown. Great photo ops everywhere you go. I enjoyed my birthday vacation immensely and will definitely be back! Springhill Suites (Phosphate) set the atmosphere for a most enjoyable visit!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank BernadettePotts
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We got the last room available, so the hotel was packed. Everything we'd nice and worked. Staff was very friendly and always accommodating. Good breakfast. However "Ma Ma" was beyond excellent. She was a true Southern Hostess. She treated everyone as if they were close personal friends. She made every morning start off with a smile. Thanks "Ma Ma"
Mr. SMILEY :-)

• Stayed July 2014
Blacksburg
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed here after a day trip to Charleston, and were exceptionally pleased! From the great service at check in to the clean, large suite and the nice shower and comfy beds, everything was perfect. All hotels should strive to provide their guests with this type of comfort and service to its patrons! The free breakfast was also outstanding! Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ashuff23
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We met family for a couple of days in Charleston and have stayed in Marriott properties on the Ashley River several times. It is always a pleasure, quiet but not far from the center of the historiic district. We were there in May before it got so hot and full of tourists. We were able to drive and park everywhere we went. The hotel is what we expected, clean, well lighted with nice views, a good breakfast. We got two rooms and everyone loved it. It was expensive but about half of what it would have cost to stay in an historic inn right in the historic district.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river.