“Service, Service, Service”

SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #15 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I spent 3 days in Charleston and wanted to stay out of town as my interest was in visiting the gardens at the plantation sites along the Ashley River as well as a few business meeting. This hotel seems perfect, situated in the north close to the plantations. It was a nice new hotel; at 1st I was very impressed with the hotel room set up. Nice rooms, couch, desk for working, small kitchen area with a microwave and refrig. The double room is narrow and the placement of the tv strange but ok. It's a very nice hotel and my rating should have been excellent but it's not, and you have to ask why?

Well, it's all about service, management oversight of their staff, and the quality conditions. My first problem was the shower, here I am 6am getting ready for my meeting and I pull the button on the shower to get the water up, and no water... Shower switch broken. So I wash in the sink pull my hair up and tell the front desk (Problems happen but who should have checked that the showers work before a guest checks in??) You think the management would appoligize (Wrong!) nothing from them about the inconvieniece of a broken shower.

Next I come back after a long day, and it was obvious the maid was there (the bed I slept in had the quilt straighten, garbage can emptied, new shampoo), however, there were pillows from the bed on the floor and the pillows on the second bed were not straightened. In addition, the couch pillows were the same way I left them and worse there were the dirty towels in the tub where I left them to be exchanged. Obviously no one looked in the tub or cleaned it or they would of seen the towels. Obviously no one vacuumed the floor or they would of seen the pillow on the floor. Were is the managment oversight of the cleaning staff? Who is doing their quality check??

Another issue I was trying to logon to the internet, the book in the room states "instruction on using this service and connection devices required are located in each room". Well there are NO INSTRUCTIONS in the room. I call the desk and ask if they have any instruction down there, the answer I get is "no we have no instructions"! It turns out they give you a password and sign-in but have an unsecured network that doesn't use that! Not great.

Overall, all I can say is there is a lack of management oversight that leads to poor service quality.

I'm a frequent stayer at Marriott’s so I'll hope this is a random problem and not reflective of the hotel in general. It's a lovely place so I will report this to the management and hopefully you will not experience it as well.

Room Tip: Nice hotel, good rooms, lack of management oversight and questionable maid service quality issues as...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mary C
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

I thank you for bringing this incident to my attention and for graciously taking the time to discuss the issue with me on the telephone. The incident was particularly disappointing to us too, because I have noted that you were engaged with our team, communicative, and we are extremely sorry we have dropped the ball. Had you brought to our attention the issue, we could have immediately addressed it as we have housekeeping available late into the night.

Thank you again for your candor.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Springhill Suites by Marriott in North Charleston were impressively furnished and decorated in contemporary motifs that were pleasing to the eye as well as functional. This recent stay of ours lasted a few days and our room was extremely comfortable and clean. The lounging sofa, extra cushions, extra space, bed, bathroom--all decorated in pastel tones and enjoyable to return to after a day of touring. The breakfast was very good; lots of choices and plentiful food. Considering how many people were staying there, obviously tour groups, we were not bothered by crowds, extra noise or lack of space to eat at breakfast because of the spacious layout. We were impressed. The employees were pleasant; the business center was always available and I think the only drawback was the lack of a hot tub in the pool area, which would have been nice. Otherwise, we would definitely stay there again and recommend the place to friends.

Room Tip: We like a king size bed on a side that is quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Your gracious compliments and excellent details are greatly appreciated, and I will be sure to share them with my associates.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed on this property 3 times on business in the past 6 months and every time i've had a very good experience. Nothing to write home about, but I find this property as good value and what you'd expect from a value tier Marriott hotel. No issues.

• Stayed: March 2013
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

I want to thank for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We greatly appreciate your impute as we continuously strive to improve our service.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I thought id take time to write this review because our stay here was great! The hospitality in this hotel should be commended. The breakfast was great. There was an employee (sorry did not hear her name) that came to the dining area and greeted everyone in the morning and asked if anyone needed anything, she was great! Also without question the rest of the staff was very very helpful. Even though i had placed a tag on my door that i did not want housekeeping one of the housekeepers offered clean towels or anything else that i needed. The bed was very comfortable and the room was so dark and quiet i could have slept all day, my husband even overslept and he barely sleeps over 5 hours!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

I want to thank for taking the time to complete a lovely review on our hotel. Your gracious comments and details are greatly appreciated and I will make sure to share them with Mama, the breakfast associate you describe.

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for his birthday. The king bed was very comfortable and the room was spacious. The sitting area was comfortable and I liked having the area. The staff was friendly and the room was clean.

• Stayed: February 2013

I want to thank for taking the time to complete a lovely review on our hotel. Your gracious comments and details are greatly appreciated and I will make sure to share them with my associates.

Thank you again, and we all look forward to have you and your husband visit with us again.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The room was very spacious. The hotel was beautiful and perfectly maintained. The bed was very comfortable. The location is excellent. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Charleston!

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The hotel is only 10 minute drive from downtown and we saved hundred dollar each night by staying 10 minutes from the center of Charleston. The hotel staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast staff go out of their way to assist when something has run out. It is very clean and it looks like they just upgraded the decor.

Only negative- If you enjoy swimming ..there pool is the smallest I have ever seen at a hotel. But if your not planning on swimming, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I do apologize if our pool disappointed you. Frankly, we had anticipated a strong corporate environment, and given that we are so well received by so many guests traveling for leisure, we do regret that we did not plan for a larger pool.