“Repeat customer of this great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate

SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Lafayette, Tennessee
“Repeat customer of this great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here on a one-night business trip to the area (College of Charleston). I am a repeat customer to this hotel. Very clean, no frills, and excellent service from the staff. You will not find a better Marriott value in the area. Only about a 10 minute drive north of the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I am grateful for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and look forward to welcome you again at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Me and my husband spent 1 night at your hotel on January 19th. It was just one night but it felt like we were there for a week. It was great! Everyone we came in contact with was so friendly. From the time we entered into the front door lobby we were greeted by a very friendly helpful staff. The room was amazing! Plenty of space and privacy. My husband and I have spent lots of money on hotels than we spent at Springhill and none were as good as Springhill. It was well worth the money.
There was one person in particular who made us feel right at home was Ms. Dorothy Swinton, MAMA! She truly was like a mama to us and everyone we saw her interact with. She was awesome. She needs to give a class on customer service. We have never had such a warm reception at a hotel. We will always stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I am grateful for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with Mrs. Dorothy Swinton or Mama as we call her. She is an inspiration to us all and we are very blessed to have her as one of our associates. She is somewhat of a hospitality legend among Charleston Marriotts, having been over the years the recipient of many awards, such as Marriott Award of Excellency, and South Carolina Hospitality Association “Lodging Front of the House Employee of the Year”, and that is just half her story. She frequently volunteers for all sorts of charitable endeavors and in general, has the capacity to touch other people’s lives.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

As a loyal Marriott traveler this was one of the few disappointments I have faced with Marriott. The locaton is fine for what we were doing at the Convention Center. It was about 5 miles and just off I-26. To downtown its about 14 miles, which is no big deal either. The cleanliness is OK, not great. You just feel like they go through the motions here. The desk staff is not very knowledgeable. Because my stay was pleasure, I was using points. i didn't book points stay, but Marriott has a pay as you go policy now, so I can decide to use them at anytime, even when I arrive. They had no clud how to d that and said i couldn't. i had to cancel my reservation at the desk, pulll out my laptop and make a points reservation right at the desk. Then i showed them on the Marriott site, where it states, "Use your points how you want and when you want". We aso had friends that checked in and forgot to ask for the AAA discuount. This blew the front desk staff's mind. This took 20 minutes to figure out. Anyway, there are better options in the area and hotel will not be in any future planning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ECUPirates64
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Please accept my apologies, as I am terribly sorry we have disappointed you in any way, although I would point out that the core issue is a misunderstanding of what the Instant Redemption Award is, and how it works.

The line stating “Use your points how you want and when you want” is in fact a link to a page that explains the entire process. It also shows the exchange rates.

Instant Redemption is designed to allow guests who already have a regular reservation at a paying rate, to use some points at any time during their stay, but prior to checkout, to generate a credit against their folio. After check inn, the front desk representative can impute a certain code on the folio, corresponding to a certain point value, which in turns corresponds with a $ value credit. For example 20,000 points would generate $50.00 credit towards your folio, regardless what the rate on the folio (reservation) is. However, Instant Redemption is not an instant reservation on points, with no charge to the guest.

Please note that a prior reservation made by the MRW member is required, the reservation has to be checked in so that the agent would have something to post codes to, and with all due respect sir, you no longer had a reservation left. You only made one reservation at our hotel, for one room, and prior to your arrival, as per your instructions one of your friends came and checked in using that particular reservation. There was no other reservation that you had to cancel, and the record is irrefutable.

Furthermore, please note that an Instant Redemption of 20,000 points would generate a $50.00 credit, nowhere near enough to cover the cost of a room, while at our hotel the MRW member can make a regular Reward Reservation on line or by calling #800, using 15,000 for a free night.

With respect to your friends checking in and forgetting to ask for the AAA discount, it is Marriott policy that all rates and discounts are to be worked out prior to check inn and not after the fact. This is a common policy at all major hotel chains.

Again, I do apologize for disappointing you in any way.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very nice experience. All very new room, carpet, furniture, large LCD TV, quiet environment. Breakfast is also excellent. The Internet access is easy and fast. If I will visit Charleston again, I will stay here again. Strongly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank vvpyu
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was just as pleasant as the last. Hotel was very clean, the staff is friendly, helpful and informative. The breakfast bar is stocked and ready on time. Great stay, back in 6 months and will very likely be staying here again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank thefitnessworm
I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay and I will make sure share your kind words with my team. We all look forward to have you visit with us again.
PEMBROKE PINES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family (4 adults) stayed at this property 12/12-12/15/12, and all of us concurred that this is a wonderful hotel; that, by the way, is saying alot since my two young adult 'kids' are rarely impressed with any hotel we've ever used. There were so many praiseworthy aspects to this property. The room itself is spacious, well-decorated, and smartly laid out; plenty of room for luggage, ample closet space/hangers, and the overall feeling of not being in a tuna can. Two extremely comfortable, pillowtop yet supportive queen beds (major reason for my choosing the hotel), with thick/supportive pillows (and plenty of them too!); even the bed linens were of high quality, silky soft! A work desk in a separate part of the room, complimented with a comfortable, ergonomical chair and free, reasonably fast (54 mpbs) Wi-fi, enhances the value of the stay. A large, 40-42" LG (not some cheaper brand) hd-ready tv which actually worked well was welcomed after returning from daytime sightseeing; the only possible drawback was the location of the set and its limited swivel capacity. Nonetheless, lots of available HD channels inc. your basic news, sports and entertainment. We didn't use the pay-per-view option, so no comment there. It was cold (40's) at night, so we only used the A/C sparingly, but it was quiet and kept the room comfortable. Spacious bathroom/shower area, with plenty of counter space, and the shower itself was roomy (no cramp feeling, bumping into wall, etc.), the showerhead being of high quality with its plentiful water pressure, height adjustment feature, and multiple spray options. Equally impressive were the bath/hand towels; whereas in most hotels, these tend to be very thin and minimally-absorbent, at this hotel they were thick, soft, and a pleasure to use for drying off. My only knock on the bathroom facility was the absence of a fan switch to deodorize. The room itself seemed to be well-insulated from outside/nearby noise, as we never had our sleep interrupted by the same (albeit, there seemed to be very few other guests during our stay). Beyond the room, the complimentary, hot breakfast is a phenomenal spread, way beyond your typical continental fare, with everything fresh, manifold variety of choices, and always well-stocked. It's served in a spacious area (near the front desk area) with plenty of comfortable seating options, and perhaps just as important to vacationing guests, available from 6-10am! Indeed, the hot breakfast alone is reason enough to stay here :) Furthermore, there is a small pool (heated) which we didn't use, and a well-equipped fitness room with an excellent variety of workout options (e.g., treadmill, recumbent bike, stairmaster, free weights); several TV screens in the room along with large, thick towels add to the value. Finally, the hotel's staff throughout was welcoming, friendly, helpful (with printed directions & dining options) and seemed to enjoy working there, a rare quality in the moderately-priced hospitality business! The property is about a 15-20 min. drive to historic Charleston, but provides easy access to major highways in all directions, and there are plenty of gas, shopping and dining options nearby. I'm in my early 50's and have stayed in many hotels, but for the money and value, this has been the best yet, and I'd highly recommend it for either business or leisure travelers! Five-stars throughout!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CubaLibre1970
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Your gracious compliments and excellent details are greatly appreciated, and I will be sure to share them with my associates.

Specifically addressing your comments regarding the swivel capacity of the 42” HDTVs, regrettably that is entirely my fault. SpringHill Suites are the result of a very deliberate research process, and are typically specified with 37” TVs. We had to obtain special approval to introduce the 42” HDTVs, and although very well received by our guests, the large screen regrettably does diminish the swivel capacity.

With respect to auditory exhaust fans in bathrooms, the fact is that they are not very efficient in buildings with multiple floors. The typical fan motor is similar to a hairdryer and cannot very well push air 3 or 4 stories up and through the roof. All new hotels must have mechanical venting devices by code, and although a more expensive solution, most new hotels select roof top exhaust fans which are far more efficient and quite, as is the case with our hotel. I am also happy to share, that our hotel is one of the few, equipped with a central dehumidification system. Fresh, dehumidified and conditioned air is constantly pumped throughout the building, offering a far superior hotel environment.

Thank you again, and we all look forward to have you visit with us in the near future.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I stay in this hotel for 3 days. Overall my stay was very good. Check in process was a breeze, a little more attention from the housekeeping crew will make this hotel a 5 star rating. The carpet in the room have spots, the spot from the drink on the night stand was never been cleaned, the trash under the sink never been emptied, and the tissue under the sink never been refilled. Breakfast was very good with enough variety. I stayed on the 3rd floor and during the night there were d stomping noise from the room above that kept us awake. Eerily call the front lobby, and the matter wad taking care of immediately.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
You are very kind with your compliments, and I truly appreciate them, although I would have wished that you had no disappointments whatsoever. I do apologize for any oversight and will address the issues with my associates.