“Very clean and Modern decor”

SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Everything was great, not problems with staff or cleanliness, only thing is it's 15-20 mins away from Charleston's "downtown" so if you are planning to keep going in town you might want to stay a little closer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

I thank you for taking the time to complete this review, and for the very kind words regarding the quality of the hotel, although I regret that the distance from downtown was a disappointment for you.

As you point out, we are 15 to 20 minutes away, depending on traffic conditions, and we do make every effort to accurately describe location and distances, specifically because we do not want it to be a surprise to anyone.

On a positive note, hotels on the outskirts of Charleston are far more reasonably priced, they offer complimentary parking and in the case of our hotel, complimentary breakfast.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in early December and our experience was good all the way through. We checked in late as our train from Washington was delayed but this was all handled smoothly with southern hospitality. Breakfast was in a bright airy area next to the checkin desk and we had no problems with seating for our family of 5 each morning. The fare was standard for this sort of lodging but it was all we needed and expected.

The hotel's location is good provided that you are happy to stay on the 'burbs and have a car. It's not hard to find and we came from halfway around the world. It is close to a wide variety of shopping and eating choices and the trip to downtown Charleston is easy on the freeway.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

I am delighted that you have felt at home while visiting with us and your gracious compliments and details of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and we look forward to have you visit with us again, in the near future.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We decided to stay at this property after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. VERY glad we did.

We booked a king suite, which was great. Very nicely furnished and quiet room, big sitting area with a great "corner" couch, computer table, big screen tv, desk, big bathroom... and very comfortable king sized bed, too.

Staff was excellent-- from the front desk to the people sweeping and vacumming to the maids cleaning the rooms. Well trained for customer service and people skills.

Our room was SPOTLESSLY clean, and it was a quiet hotel. Very close to restaurants and the interstate, only 15 minutes from downtown Charleston.

Would we stay again? You betcha.

Room Tip: King sized suite is worth a few extra bucks... and to get a quieter room, request one at the end of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments and details of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated and I will make sure to share your comments with my associates. We forward to have you visit with us again, in the near future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

One of the friendliest staff teams I've met. While the reservations did not get processed correctly (done online) they did everything they could to straighten it out. Great breakfast, nice sized rooms.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments of the hotel staff are greatly appreciated, and particularly considering that they come from a seasoned traveler, dedicated to TripAdvisor. I do hope to welcome you and your family again in the near future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

My husband and I called this hotel our 'home' for a few days while we visited Charleston. It's a great value considering it's only about 20 minutes to most Charleston attractions and I would definitely recommend it to those traveling to the area.

The room was spacious and in the typical Springhill Suites layout I know and love. What was surprising was the decor! I've never been super impressed with the semi-dated look I have found at most Springhill Suites but this was an exception. The lobby was neatly designed. Our room featured blues, greens and in-betweens which are my favorites.

Breakfast offered a wide variety of foods. The fitness room was bigger than I've seen at some other Springhill locations and featured several pieces of cardio equipment as well as some free weights. I was a bit disappointed there wasn't water in the fitness center, however, so be sure to bring your own if you need it!

We did run into some minor glitches with housekeeping... During one day of our visit, we did not receive service. When I inquired about this, a reason was not identified from the log but the front desk staff was more than willing to send someone up to attend to our room. However, it was late evening, so I declined. Next, although we were there four nights, our sheets were not changed. This was evident because I found a small ink stain on the fitted sheet the day we checked in and it remained there until we checked out.

We didn't notice much ambient noise in our room but did notice when other guests on our floor left their rooms and let the doors swing behind them, the 'slam' was very noisy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I want to thank you for your very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and look forward to welcome you again at our hotel, in the near future.

Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

What can I say, its clean and maintained and the food was good. I would return to this location again, it is a little hard to find at first but once your there its all good. It is located near many restaurants and about 15 min drive to downtown charleston (pending traffic).

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank TheFoodCritic505
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

I want to thank you for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and look forward to have you visit with us again, in the near future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We recently stayed there on a trip to Charleston. I was really disappointed at the condition of our room and of the hotel, This is a new property and our carpet had stains, there were stains on the sofa and chips out of the flooring on the elevator floor. We had other problems as well and I reported them to the hotels "director of first impressions". A very nice lady but obviously not part of the management or ownership group. Unfortunately now almost 3 weeks from the date of the visit and I have not heard from anyone. I am really disappointed. I don't normally complain about things (because usually at a Springhill you don't have to - my last 2 Springhill review ratings in Virginia and Arizonia were "5's") but this property was not good in good condition. We stayed at the Fairfield in North Charleston for the same price and that is a much better option if you are loyal to the Marriott brand. That hotel was in great shape. It just seems like they don't care about the little things at this property.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NSTraveller493
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

I thank you for your comments and please accept my apologies for having disappointed you.

The condition and image of the hotel is always of great concern to us but scheduling some of the work in public areas, can at times be challenging. We are very fortunate to be a very popular and busy hotel, and we try to insure that any work in the hotel, does not negatively impact the guest experience. We constantly do in house cleaning of carpets and upholstery, during hours when it does no interfere with our guests. Periodically we bring a professional outside contractor for deep cleaning, but we must insure that it is during times when the hotel is not very busy. It is also true that we have 3 small chips on elevator floor tiles and regrettably that is an even more challenging task to schedule, due to the drying time required and the intensive use the elevators receive.

Again, I do apologize if we have disappointed you.