“My stay was excellent”

SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #15 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here in October when I attended my nephews graduation from the coastguard. The location was great close to all. Upon arriving at the hotel the front desk staff was very welcoming and courteous and will say the same for the other staff I encounted during my stay. The room was clean and comfortable...I had to extend my stay due to the storm in New York and I was quite comfortable, if you looking for a place to stay in the NorthCharleston area that's reasonable I recommend the Springhill Suites. Mama and Ms Laquanda will help make your stay even better with their true southern hospitality.....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated; I will make sure to share them with my associates and in particular with Mama and Laquana..

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was in Charleston for a short trip, and I stayed at this Marriott for 3 days. The hotel is in a great location, next to a mall, many dining places and right off interstate 26, the main artery into historic downtown Charleston. The room was very clean and spacious; I definitely enjoyed the big flat screen TV that could swivel, the recessed lighting with a dimmer switch and even the fancy iPod docking clock that I used to listen to my iPod. Also, having access to free WiFi, a business center and unlimited coffee at all times was very convenient! Great attention to detail. The breakfast was delicious and this wonderful lady (I found out that her nickname is "Mama") was running the dining room making sure everyone was happy. The staff were also very professional and helpful. I didn't have any issues at all and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wilson L

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated; I will make sure to share them with my associates and in particular with Mama.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My wife and I had a very enjoyable weekend stay and the weekend rate made it an excellent value for a very nice room. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was clean, and the breakfast buffet offered several choices. The only problem we had was they neglected to service our room after the first night but when I called, housekeeping was very prompt to correct this oversight. The hotel is located in an area in North Charleston that is convenient to shopping, several restaurants, and only 11 miles from downtown Charleston.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room midway between the lobby and side exit and it was very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harry W

You are very kind with your compliments, and I truly appreciate them, although I would have wished that you had no disappointments whatsoever. I apologize for the oversight.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

It all started when my family and I check in for our weekend stay, after checking in we all headed to our room to take our luggage. We never did for any reason check our room , so we then left off to my sons game. We return later on that night everyone is now getting ready for bed. At some point getting into my bed as I turn the sheets and comforter back I then saw hair dog hair it could be , then more hair of something. So after seeing this I was already creep out and just disgusted by it so after that I then went to remove some more back then there was this huge urine stain. So I then call down to the front for some help it was clear to me that I was going to get clean sheets and things due to the hotel was already book so I couldn't change out if I wanted to. So we remade the bed once receiving it from the housemen. So the next morning came my family and I then was getting ready to go out but first everyone was getting some breakfast. There I was waiting to see if some one was going to call to check on everything they didn't so call again down stair to speak the manger to see what they was going to do about it he then Radu Moldovan the GM came up to my room to talk to me about what should've been why our bed had hair and urine stain in it , once entering the room he then started talking rough , taking pictures, and in all of this he never told me nor my husband what he could do or how he could help us. All because at this time I didn't even known that one of the housekeeper had address my son who is under AGE about what went on or what was going on with our room. This same housekeeper was I guess a part of there breakfast crew she then approach my husband like he wasn't a guess there she talk to my husband with no respect like he shouldn't have been there, but everyone else who she greeted was like they belong there.At this my husband put it altogether once he had saw her in our room yelling just being down right rude , nasty, disrespectful keep in mind now the both of them was already invading our privacy No one who enter our room was being Professional about this at all. This housekeeper Deborah the same lady down stairs who address my husband and my son then was in our room also accusing my son of telling them things about us wanted to stay for FREE so I could get money back this is what they the General Manger and his sidekick this housekeeper came up with. Just because there housekeepers didn't do there job , they came up with this accusation against my son just save there behinds or even at that time change our room. No one never myself nor my husband ever ask for any kind or amount of money back, it was all so hard on my son just to go through something like that when the general manger told us to Get out of the hotel all because we started defining for our son and our selves. It never was a time that we came back home to visit once this Marriott was build that we stayed any place else all because when we came here we felt comfortable we felt at peace, there never was a time that after all of our stay here we had any kind of problem no complaints from us to them never ever requested any kind of money in return there was never no need. So now with all of this and believe me the list still do go on. Its so sad for us now when we do return home to visit we have to find some where else to call home. I will say this they have and I believe they will always have a Great Customers service there they all are out standing but they do need another GM and some honest and respectful housekeepers that do not classify and do no there place with the rules and guide lines of an employee. Because they broke all of the rules that day. No one should every experience what my family and I did no place they go.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Somuch9
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Madam, I very much regret the circumstances but given the appalling condition of your suite, after just one night’s stay, I had no alternative but to ask you to find other accommodations. I am sorry, but what I saw that day is just not acceptable in our hotel; in fact it should not be acceptable in any hotel. It is also noteworthy that you have brought your concerns and request for compensation to the highest level of the Marriott Customer Care and I understand that you have been advised that the hotel acted appropriately.

I would also offer another correction. The “sidekick housekeeper” that you are referring to, is not a housekeeper at all, although there is nothing that she would not do to insure guest satisfaction. Her name is Mrs. Dorothy Swinton, a recipient of numerous Marriott recognition awards, as well as the South Carolina Hospitality Association “Lodging Front of the House Employee of the Year” and there are many glowing Trip Advisor comments to attest to that.

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This was a Great location for visiting Charleston area. Rooms were very nice, breakfast was excellent with the ladies who prepared the free buffet as well as all the staff very friendly. Reasonable place to stay for a vacation in the Charleston area.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments and details are greatly appreciated. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and I hope to welcome you at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

For the price we paid for this room, I wasn't expecting much from our stay. A clean room and a comfortable bed. However, from the moment we walked into the lobby I was impressed. A small market for snacks, a beautiful lounge area, a full hot breakfast (including bacon, which made my son's day!), an indoor pool, and the rooms were fantastic. Beautiful suites, we had a kingbed and the room had a comfortable sofa and the bed and pillows were great to sleep on. This was my best hotel experience in a long time. Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Karlaf9

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments are greatly appreciated and hope to welcome you and your family again soon

Reviewed October 28, 2012

PROS: Clean, spacious room; incredibly comfortable bed; wonderful breakfast!
CONS: No hot water! Seriously! There was some kind of regulator on the tub faucet to prevent guests from being able to get hot water. It was barely lukewarm. This is a deal-breaker for me. Everything else was great, but I won't stay where I'm not allowed to take a hot shower.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

I thank you for taking the time to complete this review, and for the kind words regarding the quality of the hotel, although I would have very much liked if the shower experience was not a disappointment for you.

Indeed, as per building code requirements which have been in effect throughout USA for many years now, our hotel is equipped with an anti scolding device on shower valves, designed to insure that water temperature does not exceed 114 degrees.

I do apologize if this presented an inconvenience, but safety is a huge concern in the hospitality industry. A study performed by Dr. Moritz and Dr. Henriquez at Harvard Medical School in 1949 illustrates that a 2 Deg Scald Burn can occur even at 111 degrees.

I did some research in preparing for this answer and I found temperature recommendations for showers in England of as low as 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit. Please keep in mind that some guests travel with very young children and their level of tolerance is much lower. I have also noted many on line comments from guests traveling overseas in particular, and having had very bad experiences with scolding showers.