“Nice Place for Weary Traveler”

SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed January 22, 2012

The property is well-appointed. The rooms and lobby are modern and well-lighted. The property seems secure. The staff friendly and courteous. Eateries, gas stations, and other services nearby. The only issue I initially had was signage--trouble locating by GPS.

• Stayed: January 2012
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments and details of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates and I hope to welcome you and your family again soon. I do apologize for any difficulty you had locating us by GPS. Our hotel is fairly new and there might be some difficulties locating it on older GPS devices that have not had recent upgrades. I can assure you however that hotel coordinates are up to date and availed to locate on all updated GPS devices.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate

Reviewed January 10, 2012

This Marriott was well kept, had great amenities and looks very recently built. The rooms are much nicer than other Marriott's I've been to and the service is unbelievable. No complains whatsoever.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete a lovely review of your stay. Your gracious compliments of the hotel and staff are greatly appreciated. We hope to welcome you and your friends again soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions while travelling on business. It is a great hotel, with a most attentive, friendly and competent staff. I will be back over and over again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review. Your gracious compliments and excellent details are greatly appreciated.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

My 10 days stay was what I needed and wanted. The money I payed was worth it clean fresh and quite. All the staff members was as nice as they could be. Travannis on the other hand was in a class all by himself. He made sure that I was well taking care of when I told him that my room was a little unclean he gave me another room with no problem.Will I come back again? Yes I will!!!! Thanks The Dedrick Family

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We were taking a family trip, to Charleston. Booked Springhill Suites, the room was clean and the staff was great. Nice family atmosphere.

Room Tip: Family Friendly
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

I want to thank you for the very kind words. I will make sure to share your comments with my associates, and I am happy to share with you that it means a lot to them to know that their efforts are recognized.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Our soccer team came to town for a soccer tournament. As customary, I blocked rooms with the team bank card. Called to get information from desk about having parents call to secure rooms with their cc, and was told not to have all the parents call that upon check in each family would be required to present payment. A family checked in late (due to a death) at 1 a.m., and was not required to present payment nor to verify the card on file. I was charged for the room, which was not my only issue with the hotel. I was researching as we were dealing with other issues from the hotel putting a hold on my account for a room that I didn't even know the family. I discovered before the staff could that I had been charged for a family who checked in without validating the card on file. Dealing with GM has not been a pleasant experience, in fact we have made a team decision not to stay at the hotel due to the probelms we encountered administratively. The hotel is nice, but not going to return no matter what the rate. When I asked the General Manager would he cover any insufficient funds due to my being charged for a room that was not my responsibility he replie no. When you block a room you are responsible. I told him I thought it was a fraudulent charge since his staff checked them in and did not validate card on file or ask for payment per the policy state to me over the phone. After several days, I spoke to the family and had them call to charge the room to their cc my charges were reversed. This has been my worst hotel experience in booking soccer tournaments ever. I asked the GM to issue some professional courtesy on another issue, and asked if he wanted return customers. He replies that he could not issue professional courtesy due to the property being off the main road, and that he did want return customers but only on his terms. Shocking. Property is nice, but the worst experience I had in booking hotels for 7 years of soccer. Would not recommend this property.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
GM7535, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston North/Ashley Phosphate, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Let me start by thanking you for the kind words regarding the quality of the hotel, which are also reinforced by a separate review from a different group participant, staying on the same occasion (see review Tournament housing for Soccer, October 3, 2011)

With respect to your complain that you have been charged for a room you did not use, with all due respect, but that is usually the case when guaranteed reservations are made and not canceled within the prescribed cancelation deadline.

Let me also point out, that in fact you had no direct dealings with the hotel and although your husband was a guest with us, and very happy with the accommodations, you were never in fact in the hotel. You never negotiate a rate or terms with the hotel directly, nor did you block any rooms directly with the hotel. Your team made reservations through a tournament office, on a group contract negotiated by the tournament office, and they provided the hotel with lists of names and credit card numbers to guarantee the reservations. Said contract had very specific and transparent terms and conditions, including cancelation deadlines and a paragraph placing the burden of transmitting all pertinent terms and conditions on the tournament office not the hotel, since they were the ones dealing with the individual teams, not the hotel.

Regretfully, a number of rooms from your team did not show up on the first night, but came in for the second night, and one room never did show up. No cancelation or changes had been made within the contract terms and the hotel charged as per the terms of the contract.

I see from your other review made for another hotel, at another location, that you value the ability to make guarantee reservations and then be able to cancel past cancelation deadline without penalty. I am very sorry, but it is not what we do it at this hotel, and particularly not with groups. Most hotels of quality have difficulty renting rooms at the last moment, as most guests pre plan their stays, and it is the very reason that we only book groups subject to pre negotiated contracts, with cutoff dates and cancelation deadlines carefully spelled out.

I do understand that you are of the impression that contracts and cancelation deadlines should not apply to you, and I regret to have to disappoint you. Please note however, that you initiated complaints and brought your concerns to the highest levels of the Marriott Customer Care Office, where after careful review, no fault was found in the manner the hotel handled this issue.

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Had an excellent stay at this hotel. The traffic was a bit heavy coming off the interstate due to the holiday season and its location near the mall, but the hotel itself was tucked back off a side street with very little thru traffic. The rooms were very clean and the bed was awesome! Having a 42 inch flat screen in the room wasn't too shabby either. The breakfast had a variety of choices, but we decided to just eat at the nearby Denny's because the eggs were a little chewy and the bacon overdone. Staff was courteous and overall was very pleased with our stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011