“watch out for bugs”

Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Hampton, South Carolina
“watch out for bugs”
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Nice room,great for business, only complaint, large palmetto bugs! Staff very attentive, went to Wal-Mart and brought us our own can of Raid, after they tried to catch one in a jar! Zero tolerance for bugs, no matter what part of the country I am in, so I would not recommend!
KSolomon

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ksolo35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Our family has stayed in various hotels in the Charleston area and my last review of the Embassy Suites N. Chas. was less than kind (although true). The Hyatt Place in N. Charleston (Convention Center) is an absolute gem in every respect. The hotel is designed with the patron in mind and at every level. To say that the staff is top-notch is an understatement. The rooms are designed well, COMFORTABLE, and if I could find a way to get the bed home, I'd do it. We will return to Charleston more often just knowing this hotel will be waiting for us.

Feel free to bring your gaming systems for the kids (big AND small) because they have easy access/hook up to the large screen television.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed 2 nights before we went on our cruise. This hotel was very very nice. The hotel staff were so friendly and helpful, the bed was the most comfortable on I have ever slept on. Very close to shopping and to downtown Charleston. They thought of everything....they even had a book at the front with all the local restaurant menues! Perfect Place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Destin, FL
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I've really come to really enjoy staying at the Hyatt Place chain and the Hyatt Place North Charleston Convention Center lived up to my expectations. The hotel rooms are very contemporary and well laid out. It was very clean and the staff extremely friendly and helpful.

I'd contacted the staff ahead of time to advise of my late arrival and they had a crib waiting in the room for my infant son just as I'd requested. I was impressed yet again with the Hyatt Place. A great value overall.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Harriman (Orange County) New York
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Listen... I'm a hotel snob - particularly when I'm visiting a city. Think Fairmont... think Intercontinental. At the other end of the spectrum, my wife and I gravitate towards historic inns and B&B's. Heck... I haven't stayed in a regular Hyatt/Hilton/Sheraton/etc. in years.

That said... this trip was about visiting my brother-in-law and our nephews who recently moved to Charleston (West Ashley) and we knew we'd be spending little time enjoying our accommodations as such, so, what the heck, we expanded our usual lodging search perimeters.

I'm a pool guy. I have to have a pool. Therefore, I only check out properties with pools. The Hyatt Place made the cut because they have a serviceable indoor pool.

I'm not an airport/convention center hotel kinda guys, but... as I noted above... since the Hyatt Place had a pool it came to my attention.

The other thing that caught my eye while narrowing my hotel search... 42-inch flat screen TVs in every room and for all intents and purposes every room appears to be a "mini-suite" with a semi-separate "entertaining/working" space with a large couch.

Oh... and as others have mentioned... the hotel is pretty much brand new.

Hey... if you're a tech guy or gal this Hyatt will appeal to you. I still use cell phones to TALK on... (*GRIN*)... but the TV, desk, and side bed tables had "jacks" galore and if you're into having a "wired" hotel room... you've found it here.

Me? I appreciated the oversized "rainfall" shower head more than the gadgets (including a single cup coffee maker, iron, ironing board, pull out sofa...).

Bottom line for us... we paid $76/nt. - which included continental breakfast each morning - for a nice big room with a 42-inch flat screen TV in a nearly brand new Hyatt "family" hotel. (If it had been $119 - or even $99 - we would have passed; but for $76 a night... we couldn't in good conscience pass the deal by.)

We had a top floor (6th floor) room overlooking the local road in front of the hotel. (The Preforming Arts Center is basically behind the hotel...)

The bedding and bed itself was ok... what you'd expect. (As I wrote above, I'm a Fairmont kinda guy...) (*WINK*)

The bed... too much "pillow top" for my tastes. I'm more of a "firm" mattress guy; same with the wife.

They use those little "standard" (small) pillows. I suppose we could have requested queen or king sized pillows (it was a king sized bed) but we never bothered.

The location of the hotel is great - at least for our purposes it was! Our relative's place in West Ashley was ten minutes down the road one way while Charleston proper was ten minutes down the road another way and we were equally close to Shem Creek and maybe 20 minutes from the beaches. Plus, within a square mile of the hotel there was outlet shopping and a Walmart so if we were covered in case we had forgotten to pack anything or needed something we hadn't packed.

The staff was very friendly - particularly the morning/day staff.

The buffet was adequate - I mean... what do you want for "free?" Good coffee. Fruit salad and separate grapefruit slices. Cereals. Juices. Bagels, toast, english muffins. The breakfast area was clean, bright, and cheerful.

Oh... back to the pool area... there's also a medium sized but well equipped exercise room.

There are two "guest computers" in the lobby and also a big book of Charleston area restaurant menus to browse.

Oh... and before I forget... yes, of course parking is free and plentiful.

All in all, a heck of a find. If you're looking for a "base" instead of a resort, the Hyatt Place is probably the place for you. Business... holiday... it's definitely a "duel personality" hotel.

Hey... if you can get a room there for under $100 you're going to be completely satisfied.

Hey... one day I overheard a conversation between the front desk and a "guest to be" on the phone who was apparently verifying an upcoming reservation. The quote I heard from the staffer was $53/nt.

Like I say up above... at the very least you're going to be completely satisfied staying here; at best, you'll feel like a real "winner" for "stealing" your room.

Oh... oh... oh... before I sign off! Though I didn't mention it (because we didn't partake) part of the "Hyatt Place" shtick is that pre-made (but fresh daily!) sandwiches, salads, and "light refreshments" (including beer and wine) are available 24-hrs. a day from a "stand" in the lobby. Hey... it's cost effective for the hotel and therefore for the guest. This way they don't require extra staff yet if a guest is hungry at 3:00 a.m. he or she can grab a bite or something to drink. I can see how this would be a real plus for business guests especially.

BILL

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William B
Oklahoma
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I was "sent" to this hotel by the cruise line when we had to return to port early.
it was a fabulous place. Brand new, and everything was elegant.
The bed was superb -- high and fluffy and loaded with pillows and silky sheets.
Staff was super nice.
No restaurant or coffee shop on premises, just some light selections that were a little pricey.
It was several miles away from the city center, with only an occasional shuttle bus to go downtown. Airport and convention center, however, and many good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank joramrose
Michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel is very new and clean. Employees were helpful and friendly. Shower was wonderful. But one reason I wouldn't return is because the lighting is so cold, bright, and glaring. Atmosphere means alot to me, and I felt like I was in Walmart. Also, there were no brochures about area attractions; we had just arrived in Charleston and I was looking forward to going to the hotel and planning our trip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple