“Can't Beat The Bang For The Buck”

Hyatt Place Charleston Airport and Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Listen... I'm a hotel snob - particularly when I'm visiting a city. Think Fairmont... think Intercontinental. At the other end of the spectrum, my wife and I gravitate towards historic inns and B&B's. Heck... I haven't stayed in a regular Hyatt/Hilton/Sheraton/etc. in years.

That said... this trip was about visiting my brother-in-law and our nephews who recently moved to Charleston (West Ashley) and we knew we'd be spending little time enjoying our accommodations as such, so, what the heck, we expanded our usual lodging search perimeters.

I'm a pool guy. I have to have a pool. Therefore, I only check out properties with pools. The Hyatt Place made the cut because they have a serviceable indoor pool.

I'm not an airport/convention center hotel kinda guys, but... as I noted above... since the Hyatt Place had a pool it came to my attention.

The other thing that caught my eye while narrowing my hotel search... 42-inch flat screen TVs in every room and for all intents and purposes every room appears to be a "mini-suite" with a semi-separate "entertaining/working" space with a large couch.

Oh... and as others have mentioned... the hotel is pretty much brand new.

Hey... if you're a tech guy or gal this Hyatt will appeal to you. I still use cell phones to TALK on... (*GRIN*)... but the TV, desk, and side bed tables had "jacks" galore and if you're into having a "wired" hotel room... you've found it here.

Me? I appreciated the oversized "rainfall" shower head more than the gadgets (including a single cup coffee maker, iron, ironing board, pull out sofa...).

Bottom line for us... we paid $76/nt. - which included continental breakfast each morning - for a nice big room with a 42-inch flat screen TV in a nearly brand new Hyatt "family" hotel. (If it had been $119 - or even $99 - we would have passed; but for $76 a night... we couldn't in good conscience pass the deal by.)

We had a top floor (6th floor) room overlooking the local road in front of the hotel. (The Preforming Arts Center is basically behind the hotel...)

The bedding and bed itself was ok... what you'd expect. (As I wrote above, I'm a Fairmont kinda guy...) (*WINK*)

The bed... too much "pillow top" for my tastes. I'm more of a "firm" mattress guy; same with the wife.

They use those little "standard" (small) pillows. I suppose we could have requested queen or king sized pillows (it was a king sized bed) but we never bothered.

The location of the hotel is great - at least for our purposes it was! Our relative's place in West Ashley was ten minutes down the road one way while Charleston proper was ten minutes down the road another way and we were equally close to Shem Creek and maybe 20 minutes from the beaches. Plus, within a square mile of the hotel there was outlet shopping and a Walmart so if we were covered in case we had forgotten to pack anything or needed something we hadn't packed.

The staff was very friendly - particularly the morning/day staff.

The buffet was adequate - I mean... what do you want for "free?" Good coffee. Fruit salad and separate grapefruit slices. Cereals. Juices. Bagels, toast, english muffins. The breakfast area was clean, bright, and cheerful.

Oh... back to the pool area... there's also a medium sized but well equipped exercise room.

There are two "guest computers" in the lobby and also a big book of Charleston area restaurant menus to browse.

Oh... and before I forget... yes, of course parking is free and plentiful.

All in all, a heck of a find. If you're looking for a "base" instead of a resort, the Hyatt Place is probably the place for you. Business... holiday... it's definitely a "duel personality" hotel.

Hey... if you can get a room there for under $100 you're going to be completely satisfied.

Hey... one day I overheard a conversation between the front desk and a "guest to be" on the phone who was apparently verifying an upcoming reservation. The quote I heard from the staffer was $53/nt.

Like I say up above... at the very least you're going to be completely satisfied staying here; at best, you'll feel like a real "winner" for "stealing" your room.

Oh... oh... oh... before I sign off! Though I didn't mention it (because we didn't partake) part of the "Hyatt Place" shtick is that pre-made (but fresh daily!) sandwiches, salads, and "light refreshments" (including beer and wine) are available 24-hrs. a day from a "stand" in the lobby. Hey... it's cost effective for the hotel and therefore for the guest. This way they don't require extra staff yet if a guest is hungry at 3:00 a.m. he or she can grab a bite or something to drink. I can see how this would be a real plus for business guests especially.

BILL

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William B

Reviewed May 13, 2010

I was "sent" to this hotel by the cruise line when we had to return to port early.
it was a fabulous place. Brand new, and everything was elegant.
The bed was superb -- high and fluffy and loaded with pillows and silky sheets.
Staff was super nice.
No restaurant or coffee shop on premises, just some light selections that were a little pricey.
It was several miles away from the city center, with only an occasional shuttle bus to go downtown. Airport and convention center, however, and many good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank joramrose
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel is very new and clean. Employees were helpful and friendly. Shower was wonderful. But one reason I wouldn't return is because the lighting is so cold, bright, and glaring. Atmosphere means alot to me, and I felt like I was in Walmart. Also, there were no brochures about area attractions; we had just arrived in Charleston and I was looking forward to going to the hotel and planning our trip.

Reviewed April 28, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for the Family Circle Tennis Cup and it was amazing. Most all the other hotels in area were way overpriced and the Hyatt was right on the money. When I checked in early it was clean comfortable and with no hassle. Our room was on the 2nd floor over looking the front. Not much of a view but I didn't book for the view. The HUGE sofa in the room made me feel right at home. When we got back from long days at the Tennis Tournament the sofa hit the spot. We don't eat breakfast food in hotels but the coffee was great (Seattle’s Best). I would defiantly recommend the hotel to anyone needing to stay in the North Charleston Area. It was very easy to find.

1  Thank DJinSC001
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Great room and amenities, including enough outlets for computers, chargers, and all the tech stuff we travel with. AMAZING, WONDERFUL STAFF. Not inexpensive for the star level, but you are not paying for silly stuff that you don't need or parking either. The dining area and complimentary breakfast are very good. The only complaint is that the a/c-heating unit is right next to the bed, and the thermostat is by the door--opposite sides of the room--so keeping the temp comfortable is a challenge. An odd note: the bathroom door swings within millimeters of the toilet, so getting in and out can be a challenge. Why not simply have the door swing out towards the room? No one in a wheelchair could access this bathroom.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank cdfs
Reviewed April 18, 2010

I just returned from the Hyatt Place Charleston Convention. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were beautiful. The place was spotless. The staff was very accomodating and very knowledgable of the area. They even suggested a great alternative to going downtown for dinner.

Reviewed March 28, 2010

You can tell that this hotel is brand new, which is fantastic. Even the hallway has a "New Hotel Smell." The rooms are GORGEOUS. The beds are so plush and soft, and they give you a ton of really soft pillows. All bedclothes are spotless, and there is not a speck of dust in the place. I wish I knew the name of the housekeeping supervisor I dealt with for a pack & play, as she is amazing. The lady who checked us in practiced the utmost in professionalism and courteousness. She made our arrival a very pleasant breeze.
We checked in and dropped our stuff off in our room, then left for the day to visit Historic Charleston. We promised our four year old son that if he was good all day, we would take him (and his infant brother) swimming in the heated pool that the reservation clerk named Matt claimed that they have at this location. When I asked Matt about the temperature of the pool, he told me that it would be well warm enough to take two small children swimming. We went to the store and purchased swim diapers for our small baby. When we got to the pool, the pool room was excessively hot. There are roughly 15 large lights around the pool itself (high up on the wall) and there are several lights (recessed) over one table and four chairs. The pool itself is significantly small, with a max occupancy of 59 (but good luck getting that many people in there.) We stepped into the water, and I stepped right back out. It seems that at one point earlier in the day, the pool was indeed heated. Either the heater broke, or the pool technician (who was listed as a gentleman named Dennis, I believe) decided to turn it off before he left for the day.

This was a pretty big issue for my family, as it was a specific requirement of a hotel that we stayed at that there be a heated pool warm enough for babies, small children and an elderly gentleman who just had heart surgery. Now, the pool had a listed closing time of 10PM on the door leading into the actual pool room. On the rules sign, it listed the closing time at 9PM. We were there at 7:00PM. In the very beginning of spring. This is not at all an appropriate time to decide to leave the pool unheated at night.

I went to the front desk to ask them to please have maintenance check the heater, and to please reheat the pool. A front desk clerk named Gary was the person who "greeted" me. I told him of the situation, and he said "Give me just a moment, and I will get in touch with maintenance." he then (quite literally) turned around, then turned back to me and replied (verbatim) "Maintenance is gone for the day." Immediately I am shocked. I reply "Are you kidding?" He says "No, ma'am. They really are gone." I ask what happens if something in the hotel breaks. He tells me that it would have to wait until tomorrow.

Are you serious?!

*IF* my toilet explodes.. My shower floods.. My TV falls and shatters..
Any one or several of a MYRIAD of possibilities here. If something happens, I will have to deal with it for an entire night, until maintenance comes in the next day.

This. Is. RIDICULOUS.

Never in my LIFE have I stayed ANYWHERE that did not have a maintenance staff member on duty at all times. That is plain reckless.

Ok, so I go tell my family, and we abandon the idea of taking our family swimming.
My husband and I are pretty upset, as we ended day out early, so that our kids could swim. Now our night is shot, and the hotel is too far out from any kid friendly entertainment to warrant leaving again. We get back up to our room, and my husband decided to go downstairs and speak to a manager. The front desk staff tells him that he would not be able to speak to a manager until Monday morning. He tells me this, and that sounds completely incorrect. Not having a maintenance staff member on duty is one thing. Not having a manager at now 8:00 pm on a Saturday night is something entirely different, and 100% unbelievable. Julie gave him a business card for Jerry, the General Manager and told him to call Jerry on Monday.

Not acceptable.

I hear this, and I call down to the front desk. Again, I speak to Gary. I ask to speak to the Manager on Duty. He tells me that Mimosa, the MoD, has "stepped out for a moment."
I say "Ok, not a problem at all. Please have Mimosa call me the moment she steps back in." Guess what? His story changes now. Just like with the Maintenance request. Now, he says "Oh, well Mimosa has actually left for the night."

Are you KIDDING ME?!

Now, there is absolutely nobody here to deal with this problem. What started out as a tiny maintenance request, has now been transformed into a vacation ruining, anger inducing trip that we now officially want to be over, only 8 hours after beginning. We now want to make the three hour drive back home, and forget this ever took place.

I tell Gary that all of this is completely unacceptable, I will not stand for it. No, I will NOT stay the night here and *hope* that the General Manager decides our problem was worth refunding our money. I tell him I want to speak to a Manager this very moment, and "no" is not an answer I am going to accept. He says he is going to call his General Manager, and he will give me a call right back.

Ten minutes later, I get a call from Julie. She tells me that the GM has told them it is OK to refund our money. This is great, as we now want to leave. The downside is that in no way do I feel that the problem was resolved. My husband works 60+ hours per week, and it took him an enormous amount of time to get two consecutive days off, and weekend days on top of that.

Our one chance to have a weekend getaway has been ruined by lackluster customer service, and negligible staffing practices. While the location is phenomenal, I will never again in my lifetime (or yours) stay at a Hyatt.

I understand that the Hyatt is not in the business of ruining vacations. However, one piece of misinformation, or one oversight certainly can do just that...
...And it has.

What little bit of time and money we have to spend on leisurely activities, we chose to spend those with you. Unfortunately, that is a choice we came to regret. Considering our past with the hospitality industry, I feel we were even a bit more understanding than the average customer. I feel that we were more accommodating to the inner workings of the hierarchy of the hotel. Considering our knowledge of the inner workings, we found it absolutely insulting to be handed a business card, and told that a Manager who could do anything would not be in until Monday morning. I do not appreciate being told that "The Manager will *probably* do something for [me]."

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family