“I'd Recommend It - and I Don't Please Easily”

Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention
Ranked #14 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Los Angeles, CA
“I'd Recommend It - and I Don't Please Easily”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the hotel. I have never encountered rude staff. To the contrary, I found all the staff to be delightful. An,d I have met the general manager and he trains his staff to be customer focused. Yes, there were groups in over the weekend but one would find that in any similar hotel. I was in the 2nd week of a business trip and ready to complain but could nothing to complain about. I dined in the restaurant and used room service. All good. My only suggestion (okay, a bit of a whine) is to change at least one dish per day in the breakfast buffet. If you are there for several days, seeing one surprise at breakfast would be appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have a hallway window. You always have to keep your curtains closed so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
EmbNChas, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Wow - thanks for your comments! We shared them this afternoon with the team. We hope to have you back again soon. All best wishes - Peter Steketee, GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
richmond,virginia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I agree with a few of the reviewers in that this front staff needs to be mentored in their "hospitality". We did not feel welcomed when we came in at all, stood there while the gentleman helped the man in front of me, then female came out to her "booth', and didn't talk or acknowledge us at all. We got checked in by the gentleman, in an efficient but not exceptionally friendly way, almost in a "mechanical " way, I would say, then stood there waiting for a luggage cart to become available as there weren't any to be seen. Finally, after waiting for a while, we asked and were told "they are kept in the back"- not sure why we weren't told this to begin with instead of us just standing there. Also, when we were checking out, and my husband asked for a cart, the front desk woman acted as though she was being "put out" or bothered. Not the kind of service I would expect from ANY Hilton personnel.

Our room also had a stale/ musty/ or moldy odor that another reviewer had mentioned, and I had to use a room spray that I had packed in the car as well as crank up the air conditioner and leave for a while , hoping it would be better when we returned from dinner, and then had to spray again when we got back. Would have asked to switch rooms, but had been told when we booked it was the last king bed available this weekend by the 800 number. Also had already brought in and settled in our stuff, didn't feel like re-packing it back up and shuffling around as we were already exhausted, so just put up with it.

Another "surprise " came when I called down to ask why we couldn't connect to the internet in our room, and was told it was $10/day " unless you are a gold/platinum Hilton honors member." Really? Even the cheapest hotels/ restaurants ,( including fast food and Krispy Kreme for Pete's sake,) give complimentary internet access! We are silver honors members, and Hilton Grand Vacation Club owners, but not gold/platinum members, so no internet in our rooms without paying the $10/day. From what I understand, Embassy Suites is a franchise, so owner's choice on whether owner wants to charge or not.

Also, FYI, there is a $7.50 charge one way per person for a shuttle if you want to take it to the historic district area, (by reservation/appt.)

Then the USA Today paper that the amenities book had listed as delivered to EACH room Mon thru Fri didn't arrive on Monday. I called the front desk to ask about it, and was told " we are green now, so only 15% of the guests have one delivered, and they are only delivered to the gold/ platinum Hilton honors members- but you can access it on the internet". Um, for $10? and aren't these the same guests who have the free access to the internet, but everyone else has to pay the $10 /DAY to access this "complimentary" USA Today paper if they want to read it in their room?

I was VERY surprised, as Embassy Suites is considered to be a little higher end or upscale from a lot of hotels, they would nickel and dime all this, and also local calls? Also, this was again finding this out thru the front desk people, and the personality of the people needed work. I didn't attack,although I was shocked, as I just wondered why we couldn't access the internet or get the paper delivered, but it was more of a "your problem" response, and "oh well". I ended up contacting the 1-800 Hiltons number the first morning we were there to let them know we were having unpleasant "surprises" at this hotel, something we don't normally get as we frequent the Hilton family of businesses almost exclusively, and generally always get a wonderful experience. That is one of the reasons we stick with them, because of their high standards. After the responses we were getting from the front desk,as well as the smell, we felt we had to say something. After I got home, I had an e-mail from the assistant manager, saying they had tried to "reach out " to us while we were there after the 1-800 number contacted them about our call, but ,frankly, it shouldn't have been hard, as we were back by 7:30pm both nights, and there were no messages, no phone calls, no "blinking light" so no voicemails left for us, no notes, and the hotel also had our cell numbers that were never called, so not sure when they actually tried to contact us.

On the really only plus sides, the room was what is expected of a usual Embassy Suite, I.e. it is a Suite, so 2 rooms. The furniture is a little dated, a little worn,not a really comfortable couch, chair for watching TV in the TV area, but not really a big issue. It was just a little bit like stepping into a time warp, esp with the internet charge and local call charges still being done and the dated furniture ,so I felt like I'd stepped back into the 80's or 90's (wallpaper border included.)

Another plus for this hotel was the male cook making the omelets and the ladies in the breakfast area. He had a TERRIFIC personality, and he did make a great omelet. (The rest of the breakfast was fine, about the same as a Homewood Suites.) The ladies in the food area were all very helpful and friendly,(even when the coffee makers kept having to be fixed over and over again both mornings, they were always apologetic and helpful to get them working again). I also spoke to one of the maids before I left, to let her know the freezer in the mini frig in our room needed to be defrosted as it was extremely thick with ice , and she was very friendly and said she would take care of it right away. The front end could learn from these people how to treat their guests nicely and with a good attitude.

I am giving it an average rating, not a poor rating, only because of the above people in the food service area, and the town of Charleston, itself. It is a beautiful town to visit, and lots to see, but I would not and will not stay at this hotel again, esp with so many other great choices in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loving-bears
EmbNChas, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent visit with us - it's truly appreciated. We are disappointed we did not meet your expectations with our front office team and will certainly share your comments with our team-members. Please accept our apology. We are thankful for your kind comments about our complimentary breakfast and housekeeping team and will share that news with them as well. Hopefully, you will give us another chance to serve you if your travels have you headed back this way.

All best wishes, Peter Steketee, GM.
Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for a family reunion in the area;excellent location and accommodations. Location is near an outlet mall with good restaurant selections and stores. Very clean with free breakfast, eggs to order station and the staff was very attentive and quick. Food was great! The parking is free and easy to come and go. No complaints about the staff ; all were very friendly and attentive. The grandkids loved the pool. Free alcoholic drinks and appetizers in the afternoon is a good deal with the only drawback being is they don't put out much variety and no free coffee for people that do not drink. Bar staff was always engaging and friendly. Ordered room service from the bar and received it in a timely manner and it tasted great. I would recommend to other travelers and I will stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Two room suites with television in both rooms, with nice furniture and comfortable layout. Stayed o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We're glad you enjoyed your visit with us! Hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes/ Peter Steketee, GM
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pros: Comfortable beds, clean rooms, friendly chef at breakfast making good omelets.

Cons: had to wait for a long time for the front desk to acknowledge us waiting to check in, when there were two employees and both of them speaking to a single customer about mundane things.
Also, $10 for internet. Seriously? Even the cheapest motels have complimentary internet service. Breakfast bagels and bread were horrible, either they were days old or extremely cheap.

I bid on Priceline and got our room for $55. If I paid full amount, I would not give 3 stars to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cx007
Thanks for your feedback - it's always appreciated! We are sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectations in key areas during your recent visit with us - please accept our apology. Your comments will be shared with our team-members as we strive to improve guest satisfaction. Thanks for your very nice comments about our housekeeping and complimentary breakfast team - they always appreciate hearing guest comments. We hope you will give us another chance to serve if your travels have you returning here to Charleston.

Thanks again and best regards - Peter Steketee, GM.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference, which was scheduled in the hotel's conference center. It took the hotel shuttle an hour and 15 minutes to pick me up at the airport. Ordered room service the first night I was there. It took over an hour. But the worst part was finding there was no ink in the printer in the business center. Mind you this was a hotel which had a large business conference scheduled IN their hotel. Seems to me that making sure there is ink in the business center printer would be a basic preparation for such a conference. They also did not even send someone out to buy one, the whole two days I was there. The suite was nice and roomy, which is why I gave them three stars, but the service at this hotel leaves a great deal to be desired.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jhughey
EmbNChas, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Jhughey,

We were so disappointed to hear we failed to meet or exceed your expectaions during your recent visit with us - please accept our sincere apology. Your experiences with our shuttle service and business center are of great concern and have been discussed with our leadership team. We do thank you for your kind comments regarding the comfort of our two-room suites it's appreciated! We hope you'll give us another chance to serve you if your travel plans include Charleston in the future. With best regards, Peter Steketee, GM.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The location of the hotel is great for visiting the outlets in Charleston and for access to the beaches and downtown Charleston. It was pretty clean for the most parts but make sure to let them know if you want your sheets changed out. Also, the breakfast is phenomenal and Broderick is a GREAT cook! Yummy omelletes! The happy hours were great with free drinks and snacks. We got put in a smoking room the first night and they changed us first thing in the morning as soon as the first non smoking king came available. The smoking room was almost unbearable for me but I was able to open a window to help out with it. The elevators are super quick and the staff are mostly pleasant with the exception of one of the females at the front desk. She was a lil' rude but I wasn't going to let anyone rain on my parade so I let it slide. The beds are comfy and we got a great night's rest! They have some good info and great magazines in the room.

Room Tip: Get the King Bed and corner suites are larger!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
EmbNChas, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thanks for your 4 star rating - we truly appreciate your comments. We're delighted you had such a great time in Charleston - it is a super place to call home. We are sorry you did not appreciate our green friendly linen program - it's a standard we have in place to conserve water use. There should have been a sign in your bathroom explaining we change them out every 3 days unless you request otherwise. We will pass on your comments to Broderick for his yummy omelette's. Hope to see you back her soon! Best regards, Peter Steketee, GM
Key West, Florida
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is just down the road from the airport and is attached to a convention center and North Charleston arena. The hotel is very clean and staff are very friendly. With the free happy hours every night and free breakfast every morning, large, 2 room suites and convenience to local restaurants and shopping, this is by far the best hotel for business travelers near the Charleston airport. It doesn't hurt that it is also one of the least expensive. Bravo to the entire ES chain, and to this hotel. This will always be my "go to" hotel when m that area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
THANKS! We love it when our guests give us a BRAVO! We are proud to be your "go to" hotel and hope we get a chance to say hello when you next visit. Cheers! Peter Steketee, GM.
Also consider these accommodations in or near North Charleston
Hilton Garden Inn Charleston Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Charleston Air...
#4 of 59 in North Charleston
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North Charleston - Convention Center
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel North...
#5 of 59 in North Charleston
Hyatt Place Charleston Airport and Convention Center
Hyatt Place Charleston Airport a...
#2 of 59 in North Charleston
Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston
Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport Convention Center
Crowne Plaza Charleston Airport ...
#21 of 59 in North Charleston
Belmond Charleston Place
Belmond Charleston Place
#13 of 61 in Charleston

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention

Property: Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention
Address: 5055 International Blvd, North Charleston, SC 29418-5963
#15 Business Hotel in North Charleston
#20 Family Hotel in North Charleston
#21 Romantic Hotel in North Charleston
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention 3.5*
Enjoy a convenient location at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston Airport Hotel & Convention Center. Take the complimentary shuttle to Charleston International Airport just two miles away and walk to over 30 restaurants in the local neighborhood. Our Charleston, SC hotel is adjacent to the Charleston Area Convention Center and the Performing Arts Center and the Coliseum, ideal for attending an event at these venues. Just 10 minutes from Downtown Charleston, recently ranked the No. 1 City in the World by Travel + Leisure ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Airport/ Hotel North Charleston