“Great view of docks, ok location, strangely damp rooms”

La Quinta Inn Charleston North
Ranked #49 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great view of docks, ok location, strangely damp rooms”
Reviewed September 17, 2007

This hotel was facing a very nice dock area with benches to sit by the water. There was ample parking. You had to drive to the heart of the town, which is a big negative for me. The places in town were twice the price for half the space (and cleanliness). We were there during a muggy time, and the rooms felt damp. The sheets were actually moist when we got in them (icky feeling). The only way to avoid that is to turn up the air conditioning while we weren't in the room. The breakfast was nice in the mornings, at least you dont have to drive to downtown for that.

• Liked — Spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Having to drive to downtown
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank TarheelTraveler81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Ft. Bragg
Reviewed August 9, 2007

This is a clean hotel, reasonable price, customer friendly hotel staff.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank BraggDLA
SC
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I bid on a 2.5 star hotel through hotwire, and instead got an average, clean, cheap hotel. If you stay here, you don't have to worry about the room being dirty and the staff is friendly. There's just not anything extraordinary. The price is a bit on the high side for what I would give a 1-2 star rating. I paid too much for it on hotwire, assuming I was getting a better deal. They refused to re-evaluate their star rating, though trip advisor and orbitz only gave it 2 stars. Hotwire states that it had a continental breakfast (so does red roof), a pool (like motel 6), oh.. and internet access (like
many low budget motels). I have no complaints about the motel, if you are expecting an average cheap motel. I refuse to deal any longer
with hotwire, however.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank Linda Y
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I stayed at this hotel on June 20, 2007. I wanted to stay in Charleston and as I had had good experiences with La Quinta in the past (meaning I knew it was cheap yet I didn't have to worry about leaving with bedbugs) I chose this location over their other Charleston location based on the better reviews on this site and the fact that it was cheaper.

The hotel is about 6 miles north of downtown Charleston. We didn't have a problem getting there, but I don't know if it would be a challenge with morning traffic. The hotel is easy to find, but the lobby entrance is oddly tucked around the back of the hotel. Check-in took less than 5 minutes and the woman was cheerful and pleasant. It didn't look like there was a whole lot around the hotel. There's a McDonald's across the street that can be easily walked to and a Cracker Barrel across the bigger street that can be walked to but waiting to cross the bigger street is a bit of a pain.

The room was fine. Bed was comfortable, micro/fridge in the room. The fridge was clean and worked, didn't use the microwave. Bathroom was clean and the tub looked like it had recently been re-caulked. The shower head was pretty low - I'm 6'2'' and I think it came to somewhere below my chin. It wasn't a big deal for one night, but was a bit annoying. Can't comment on breakfast or the pool as we didn't try either.

Overall, it was a decent hotel. Check-out took less than a minute - I simply handed in my key and was handed my receipt. While it's certainly not the greatest hotel, I think we ended up paying around $70 with taxes included on a AAA rate so I couldn't complain. The property isn't anything special, but it looks like it's well taken care of and was fine for our stay.

• Liked — quick check-in and out, decent rate
  • Disliked — low shower head
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seanpac22
High Point, NC
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed at the La Quinta Charleston on Sunday evening through Friday morning from May 2005 through August 2005. (16 weeks) We originally choose this motel because it was close to the worksite and because it had a pool. We enjoyed our stay and felt very safe and comfortable there. The pool was kept very clean. I was able work from the room during the day due to the wireless high speed internet. (when I was not at the pool!) while my husband worked nearby in North Charleston. During that time there were a few small problems but they were resolved quickly and were made to feel welcome. All of the employees except one were very friendly and accommodating. They all bent over backwards to please me. Staying there that long, I had my favorite rooms and they went out of there way to see that I was pleased. We will definitely stay there again and would recommend it for anyone staying on business or pleasure.

• Liked — The pool was great and it was convenient to Charleston, highways, restaurants
  • Disliked — Breakfast could be better
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank riffells
JasperGort
Reviewed June 25, 2007

Overall, my husband and I enjoyed this motel. We could see where some would appreciate it, and others might feel let down.

The rooms are exterior corridor, which for some is convenient because your vehicle is just outside (easy to load/unload luggage). Parking was difficult during the weekend, although we had no problem during the week.

Our room was a king bed and very spacious. It included a comfy recliner and oversized work area with plenty of space for luggage, if required. The bathroom sink area is separate from the toilet/shower area, which is nice for couples getting ready in the morning, although the shower area felt a big cramped. The microwave/fridge was very convenient and, for us anyway, was free of charge, even though we didn't reserve one. I suppose we were lucky, because a room with a microwave and fridge does typically cost extra.

Note: Be sure to place the little green notecard on your pillow every day or your linens won't be changed. The hotel, after all, is "eco friendly."

The pool area was nice and clean; we enjoyed a nice swim in the morning. The pool hours are from 9am to 10pm, which is about right. Be sure to ask for pool towels to avoid using up your own room towels.

Lastly, the breakfast was somewhat of a let-down from other La Quinta Inns. There were two types of cold cereals, bagels, toast, instant oatmeal and grits, hardboiled eggs, yogurt and juice/coffee. Some mornings there were mini-doughnuts. I appreciated the effort, but compared to other motels where fresh, homemade waffles and bisquit/gravy are the norm, this breakfast seems a bit flat.

The motel isn't far from downtown Charleston; beware, you do travel through some rough areas before you get to the beauty of the historic area. All in all, a decent value and nice stay.

• Liked — Spacious, Clean Room
  • Disliked — Breakfast Could be Better
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JasperGort
Fenton Missouri
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I sure got a surprise when I saw this hotel up close. It liiked like something out of the sixties or seventies. The roads have even been built up on 2 sides of the structure making access very difficult. I went to Charleston to honor the 9 firefighters killed in the line of duty last Monday. For one night I guess I could survive but anything longer was not going to happen at this place.

Upon arriving there was no clerk to be found and after driving almost
800 miles I was tired. after about 15 minutes she appeared and was very nice. I believe she was overwhelmed by all the people staying there so I didn't get too upset. Checking out early the next AM was another story. The male clerk was not very friendly or personable.
The pool appeared to be very clean but I did not use it. To sum it up I would never stay there again. I think it will make me reconsider
staying at another Laquinta in the future,

• Disliked — apearance and condition
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business