“Good, solid hotel for the price”

La Quinta Inn Charleston North
Ranked #47 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have stayed at this LaQuinta three times now and we primarily pick this chain because they are VERY pet friendly and the breakfast is good and free. This particular hotel is your basic, off the highway, don't want to spend all of your trip money on the hotel, or just passing through type place. It's basically clean and we didn't have any major issues. I think it isn't a new hotel as there was some dirt/dust build up in corners that aren't thoroughly cleaned very often but it was "fine". It's about 15 minutes from downtown Charleston if you're looking for a place that's inexpensive that you just need to park your head at night. The pillowtop mattresses are comfortable but if you don't like the lumpiness of feather pillows, just bring your own. I don't know that they have a huge stock foam pillows available. It is RIGHT next to I-26 so there is a bit of noise, primarily from semi-'s but not bad enough for us, to cause issues.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I have stayed at LaQuinta Inn's before and been very happy, but I was appalled by this one's conditions. Our flight was cancelled out of Charleston, so we had to spend the night again. After being at the airport for 2 hours trying to find a room, during Easter break, I finally found this one. We arrived at 830 pm, and when we checked in we were told our room wasn't ready. We were told we could have a seat in the lobby and wait. The lobby was so disgusting. The floors looked as if they hadn't been scrubbed in years, the walls had stains on them. We tried to find another hotel, with no luck, while we sat and waited.

After what seemed like an hour we were told our room was ready. When we first got to the room and opened the door we were like, ok, we only have to stay for a few hours. Then we were hit by the smell. It was very musty. The linens looked new and clean. There was a stain on one of the comforters. We started settling in and getting our cell phones plugged in. When we were looking for plugs next to the bed, we discovered dead cockroaches in between the wall and the dead. That was a big red flag to get out now.

We went to the front desk. I told the young lady on duty that we could not stay there. She was very nice about everything. I explained what the problem was and she apologized for this. Because we booked the room through a booking service we would have to cancel through them to get our money refunded. I called while there. The booking company called the front desk and she took care of everything. I wish I could remember her name, she was the best part of this experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2014

i had an overall nice stay here, but i wasn't real excited about it being right next to the interstate, all i heard were trucks and sirens from the fire dept all night. rooms were nice, staff was great. i have stayed in lots of La Quinta Inns and this was just as nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2014

you have a beautiful parking lot that me, my wife and elderly dog had to sleep in our vehicle all night after a horrible 16 hr drive. Then we had to listen to a drunk couple fighting in the parking lot having to hear the sexual favors she performs on him, fire, police sirens and smoke. People parking across from us with their high beam lights on at 4:30am. Who couldn't have asked for a more relaxing rest and a great night of sleep.Absolutely horrible experience. We even called at 3pm that day to let them know the traffic and accident situations on rt 95 and told my wife that we are all set and checked into our room and that it will be waiting for us. I even have an email stating that your room is ready. Classic case of over booking and not giving a crap about your loyal guests.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
A TripAdvisor Member
Mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Unfortunately, our experience at this hotel was unpleasant. We arrived late 0100 after driving from the Orlando area and were tired. We had reserved 2 rooms.

Upon checking into room #1, we found that the room had not been cleaned properly. There were hairs in the bath tub, but when cover sheet were turned back, it was obvious the sheets had not been changed as there was food, hair and other debris on the sheets.

We were given a replacement room and found this room to be cleaner and moved everything into this room for the night, unfortunately, after we had changed for the evening, we noticed that there was a shortage of clean towels and a dirty bath towel was hanging on the back of the bathroom door.

I phoned the front desk and they indicated that the towels would be brought up. After waiting about 30 minutes, we called the Front Desk again as we really did want to get to bed, (a staff change must have occurred), as I was told that if we wanted extra towels, we had to come to the front desk. I explained the situation that we checked in and our first room was not cleaned and were moved to this second room that was lacking towels and was told that they were going to be delivered and that we were not asking for additional towels, but simply the ones that should have been present when we checked in.

The male on the other end of the phone was still reluctant to bring the towels and I insisted that I should not have to change out of my pyjamas to come to the front desk after being told they would be delivered, considering we had already been moved to this room after the first one was unacceptable. He brought the towels to the room, but was not pleasant when he handed to me and appeared to be put out that they had to be delivered,

We had also reserved a second room for my son and daughter-in-law and their 2 children. There room reeked so badly of fresh smoke that it was nauseating to my grandchildren and we had to go back to the front desk to have them also moved to another room. These rooms were designated as non smoking.

All in all - 2 rooms reserved - 2 rooms required us to change. The Front Desk Clerk both in the evening and then the morning when we checked out both gave the same impression by their comment that they were not surprised by the cleaning staff and this was not the first incident.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this property to other travelers.