“Clean and Upkept”

Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
toronto
“Clean and Upkept”
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I stayed here right before an early flight out of Charleston.
Clean and well maintained hotel. Nice staff.
Breakfast looked like it would be good but did not have time to try it.
Shuttle is on demand which is great 24 hours. Only complaint was waited over an hour outside the mall nearby for it. Had to call them three times.
Have seen more updated Residence Inn's but this was clean and comfortable and would recommend for the airport and convention center.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Virginia
Reviewed November 6, 2009

My wife and daughter recently accompanied me on a business trip to North Charleston. We generally have very good luck with all levels of Marriot hotels, and this Residence Inn was no exception: clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were the standard fare of hot and cold , and the "managers reception" was heavy hors d'oeuvres and a salad bar with complimetary beer and wine. Room was great. My wife and daughter particularly liked the hotel's close proximity to the nearby, and very nice, Tanger Outlet Center. Hop on the interstate and you can be in historic downtown Charleston in <15 minutes. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed October 24, 2009

After staying nearly 3 weeks in the downtown Marriott (see my review), my trip was extended a couple of days, but my room was not due to the short notice - they were booked up.. I decided to try the Residence Inn since I probably would be returning to Charleston frequently and wanted to see if I would want to stay there.
As a big fan of Marriott branded hotels (Elite Gold Member), I was pretty disappointed by this particular hotel. For a place that is only a couple years old, it looks dated and worn. The carpet in the bath area was badly stained and there was mold in the tub. My room faced both busy main streets and was just above all of the heat pump compressors outside - which usually had a couple of employees chatting it up while they had their smokes. The elevator had a horrific smell and some liquid on the floor (human, I think) and the odor permeated my rolling case wheels. After a good scrub I decided against the elevator. The breakfast was nice with a good selection and freshness. The staff was very nice. Next time I am in the area, I will unfortunately have to avoid this one.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
canandaigua, ny
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights for free because we had points saved up from a previous stay at a marriot, hence I did not rate the value, because i'm not sure what the place would cost. However, we were quite satisfied with our stay. The hotel isn't close to the historic district, so you have to drive, but there were lots of shops within walking distance to the hotel. We went to the grocery store that was across the parking lot to stock up on food for our suite. There were also other chain stores like walmart, old navy, etc. located behind the grocery store. As for the actual hotel, the suite was fine. A little small for a suite, but nonetheless fine for our needs. They had a large flat screen tv, which looked pretty new and had a large variety of channels to choose from. The things we liked best about this hotel were the outdoor pool and hottub, the free breakfast AND the free dinner ( served mon-thur). The free dinner was well stocked with a white and red wine, beer and assorted sides and desserts. All for free!
In addition to this, we had a 9 month old with us and everyone was wonderful and quite accomodating, even providing a port-a-crib since we forgot ours.
I've stayed in 2 marriot hotels now and each time have been pleasantly surprised. Good customer service, good breakfast and if you go mid-week, good dinner!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Florence, SC
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I can not say enough about my stay. After a long day at work I was able to come back and relax in my room. I had all of the comforts of home!! The only thing that I wish they had more of was TV channels. There were only 12 channels to choose from and most nights there wasn't anything on. I would not call this a show stopper though. I would reccommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Dawn W, General Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Airport, responded to this review, January 31, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful comments and feedback! We hope to see you again soon!
NJ
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I stayed at the above referenced hotel during my business trip to Moncks Corner, SC. My co-worker and I arrived at the hotel on April 19, 2009, after midnight. Our flight was delayed and we were very tired. The check-in process was a bit dragging in comparison to what I am accustomed. A real ‘surprise’ awaited me in my room. When I got into the room I noticed that the carpet was stained and something smelled terribly. I looked around the room to see what was causing such a dreadful smell. After examining the kitchen area, I noticed that there was food left in the oven. When I opened the oven the smell hit me even harder. It was coming from a very large tray (one used for baking a turkey on Thanksgiving) three-quarters filled with some meat pasta dish, obviously going rotten. I called the front desk about the food asking if they could at least remove it. I waited about 15 minutes. Afterward, I received a phone call from the front desk staff asking me to get it out of the room myself and leave it outside the door! I was not offered to move to a different room and the smell remained horrendous! That is unacceptable! I should have left and demanded a different room but I guess the tiredness and fast approaching workday made me decide otherwise. I went on to examine the bed and bathroom. I noticed there were smudges of some sort on the doorframes (I can only hope it was sauce), which I wiped as I could not stand the site of it. I subsequently called the front desk to make sure this situation will be brought up to somebody’s attention. In the morning, I spoke to the front desk staff about what happened and she appeared to take some notes. She was very polite and apologetic. After that, I expected someone (a hotel manager) to at least call me back regarding the unpleasant arrival experience. I stayed at the hotel from Sunday until Friday of that week and no one called me back. Taking everything under consideration, I would expect a manager to at least apologize. No such thing happened!
Before staying at the Charleston Airport Residence Inn, I had never experienced such neglect with regards to room cleanliness and staff. I stayed at different hotels all over the country and internationally, and I have never had such an unpleasant incident. I have never been so disappointed with a hotel, especially a Marriott brand hotel, before. Moreover, my colleague mentioned he has seen a cockroach in the room.
I followed up with a formal compaint to Marriott and received a refund for one night stay - hardly any compansation on a $179 rate! I also got a bit of a delusional email from a manager who claimed he had met and spoke with me - I think I would remember after all I have witnessed at this hotel.
Breakfast - although great variety, the coffee was very weak and staff did not replenish it timely - the guests were always waiting for it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 8, 2009

The Residence Inn helped to make out trip to Charleston very enjoyable. The hotel was was very clean and the rooms were a nice size. We stayed in the two bedroom with 4 children and two adults and had plenty of space. The beds were extremely comfortable and the breakfast was fresh and filling. We were able to sit in out near the pool and have breakfast...it was really nice. The hotel sits very close to the highway which made driving to and from the rest of Charleston very easy. The Tanger outlets, Walmart and a new Golden Corral are right around the corner. I would definitley stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family