“Don't stay here!!!!”

Ranked #42 of 60 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I reserved a non-smoking room only to be checked into a smoking room complete with tar stains on the fixtures, and if you're a non-smoker; "that odor". Upon further evaluation, we found what appeared to be blood stains on two walls, and burn holes in the carpet. The night clerk and a maintenance guy came up and said it was "paint", both on the carpet and walls. Curious, as the "paint" drips didn't match ANY color in the room! No explanation as to why I was in a smoking room other than they didn't have any non-smoking available. So they put us up in another room, much cleaner, though still smoking, and pumped it full of air fresher. Great, two stinks for the price of one. Later that evening, (1 a.m. or so) as we lay on a poor mattress, the obnoxious neighbor in the next room was arguing with another, at the top of her lungs for over half an hour. When I called the front desk I was told that she (the desk clerk) was there alone, the Inn has no security, and I was welcome to call the police myself. Finally the loud mouths quieted down, and we later awoke to what sounded like a jet touching down on the roof!!! For an alarm clock, the obnoxious neighbor in the other adjacent room started a screaming session into her cell phone on the front entry way at about 6:30 a.m. We were registered for a two day stay, checked out after that night, did not get a refund, paid three times as much for the only other available room in Charleston that weekend, and I'd pay it again to escape this place!! On the upside, it didn't have bedbugs.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SleeplessPa
NCIGM, General Manager at North Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

I do sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay with us. We work hard on ensuring that all of our guests receive the best experience possible. I have already attempted to contact the third party website that you have booked your room through to work out a resolution and they should have or will be getting in contact with you.

Reviewed September 20, 2010

Guest Representatives are nice, but the managers are never there! I called over several times and wasnt able to talk to anyone about having an event. So i booked some where else.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2010

When I made the reservation I noted on the form that we would be arriving late, around 1-2AM as we were driving in from Louisville, KY. I also called the hotel while in route, around 6PM, to make sure they knew we would be very late. She confirmed that it was noted on the reservation. Imagine my surprise when we checked in at 2:30AM, the front desk clerk said, "We don't have anymore king rooms available." Aren't hotels supposed to hold a reservation until 7AM or walk the guest to another hotel if they oversold??? Anyway, she looked through the computer for several minutes and said, "Well, room 109 is showing out of order but it could be ok, let me go check." She went and checked the room and came back to confirm that it was indeed ok and supposedly, the last king available. In addition, while I held the reservation to one credit card, I wanted to pay with a different card on check in. The clerk, without asking authorized the first card and when I presented the new card said, "Oh, you wanted to use a different card? I've already authorized the card you gave when you made the reservation." Meaning that $150 or so was being held against my credit limit on the first card. So I was not going to give her another card to tie up another $150. Very unprofessional, in my opinion, and shows lack of training. Most hotels I've checked in have asked, "Do you want to keep it on the card you reserved with?" before authorizing anything. The entire check in process took well over 20 minutes with all the confusion, this at 2:30 in the morning after a 9+ hour drive.

When we went to our room, the room next door 111, was empty, a king and was clearly available (curtains open, bed made, etc.). When we woke the next morning, it was still empty, curtains open, and available, so apparently, our's was not the last king after all, again, poor communication to the front desk about what was available and what was not. The room is a basic room, no frills or amenities but about what we expected for the price. The bed was comfortable however, a nice surprise.

I was disappointed again with the front desk at check out. I had gone to the front desk earlier in the morning to get a map of the area and noticed the front desk clerk with a guest checking out. She was very friendly, smiling, laughing and joking with the customer. The conversation was very animated and I thought, "Wow, she is sure friendly!" When we checked out however, it was as if her evil twin had stepped in. I was given one word replies, no smiles and when I said, "Have a good day," when I went to leave, all I got back was sort of a grunted, "Uh huh." I have some idea why I was treated differently, but will not go into that here.

One last complaint, when we checked in we were advised that breakfast was from 6-9 though when we checked out Saturday AM at around 9:55AM, it was still going on. I assumed that breakfast on the weekends was from 6-10 or maybe 7-10 instead of 9. Had we known this we would have planned to have breakfast at the hotel around 9:30 when we awoke. Again, poor attention to detail on the front desk's part, not to advise that weekend breakfast hours were different.

The room did have wireless internet connection but certainly NOT high speed. The connection was slow at best. If you need a fast internet connection for any reason (work, etc.) this is not the location for you.

Overall, if you are in town for a day, this location is not horrible, just not great. The location is on a major highway and there is noise in the rooms, they are not sound proofed. The front desk needs a lot of work in customer service. In addition, housekeeping and/or maintenance needs work in communicating to the front desk what rooms are available. Further, management needs to make the front desk aware of the fact that guests should be walked to a comparable property should they sell out all the rooms a guest guaranteed with the use of a credit card. Lastly, the front desk should be made aware to always ask the guest which card they want to use for the stay BEFORE they authorize charges to the card.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
NCI-AGM, Manager at North Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

The North Charleston Inn would like to apologize for the troubles during your recent stay with us. We take these reviews seriously so we can correct our mistakes and move forward. We appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns and would like to welcome you back if ever in the area again.

Regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2010

My sons baseball team (10 & under) needed a place to stay for the weekend. From a parents veiw it needed to be close to the complex, restuarants,shopping centers have a nice pool, a clean room and good rates. It meet all the expectations. Just being on vaction two weeks before the money was tight. So we needed a place cheap and with most places being cheap you get crappy rooms. Not the case here, rooms were nice. Cold air, hot water, refrigerator,microwave and comfortable bed. We stayed three night and four days. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
NCI-AGM, Manager at North Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with us and potential guests. We take much pride in our hotel, and I believe it shows. Please come back anytime if you are ever in Charleston--we would love to have you again.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

The staff of The North Charleston Inn was very helpful in assisting with a function I planned for a friend. I am an event planner and the space was perfect for our needs. Amy went out of her way to make sure we were satisfied and our needs were met. I have since booked 2 more events, with a strong possibility of a 3rd. I strongly reccommend the Palmetto Room for your entertainment needs. Ms. Washington

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
NCI-AGM, Manager at North Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Ms. Washington,

I greatly appreciate your feedback and you taking the time to let us know about your visit. We look forward to seeing you again in the upcoming months with your future events.

Reviewed July 1, 2010

When we checked in the Inn, I noticed that the lobby floor needed to be mopped. That gave me a bad impression of the hotel from the start. When we arrived at the rooom, it had an odor and the bathroom floor wasn't clean. Lucky we had some Lysol that we keep in our travel bag. That night it was very noisy outside our room and alot of people were hanging outside drinking. The next day we left to go shopping and when we returned, we were locked out of our room. Neither of our key cards worked. The person that was on duty at the front desk said we probably were responsible, but when my friends card wasn't working either from a different room, he didn't have an explaination. When we finally got in the room, we had no towels at all. I called down to the desk to ask for towels and about 15 minutes later the manager came to the door and said she needed to physically look in our bathroom and by the sink to verify we didn't have towels. Since my friend was in the bathroom, she had to come back to verify. We finally got showered and dressed to go to the concert that we were there to see and when we returned that late that night, the key card did not work again. There were so many people hanging outside that I was kind of scared to appropriate my room door. I am glad to say that is the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel and hope that it is the last. This hotel needs security and some professionals manning the front desk in addition to maintenance of the rooms and lobby. PLEASE DO NOT STAY THERE!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uniquecolumbia

We strive to achieve the best possible customer service and guest satisfaction at the North Charleston Inn. I greatly apologize for falling short in this instance. I appreciate you expressing your concerns, and I assure you the problems have been corrected--we hope you give us another opportunity in the future!

Reviewed June 20, 2010

I arrived on Thursday June 17, 2010 and the Assistant Manager was behind the desk. She greeted me with warm enthusiam that I feel was genuine. I was shown to my room and greeted with clean linens and a great atmosphere. I requested extra towels and was surprised that they arrived just minutes after my request. Later in the evening I went down to the bar and was impressed to see the assistant manager speaking with the guests in the bar. Making certain that all was well with the hotel and that they were enjoying their stay. I had to leave on Sat June 19, but will not hesitate to return to this hotel the next time I am in Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo

Thank you!!! Come back and see us soon.