“Be Aware!!!”

North Charleston Inn
Ranked #43 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Hotel was booked online at North Charleston Inn. When we arrived no reservations. Paid Cash and they asked for credit card for incendentials gave them another credit card they said a $5 hold would be on it till check out and then reimbursed to account. My account has been charged $5 and $61.88. I was unaware of!
HOTEL SAYS IT HAS WIRELESS BUT WIRELESS WAS DOWN! I had to check out and move to another hotel after unpacking and finding out no wireless.
NOT A GREAT VACATION THANKS TO THIS HOTEL! Location was very scary to two young female girls!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank BecksAngl
There are newer reviews for North Charleston Inn

Reviewed December 12, 2008

When we checked in we had to sign a disclaimer about the state of disrepair of this crappy hotel (can you believe that?). Since I booked on Orbitz I had no choice but to stay there. I plan to advise Orbitz to remove them from their listing.

The photos of the hotel online are very deceiving. Our room smelled like a combination of urine, mildew, and wet dog. Things are worn out and broken, and I see no sign of renovation. Obviously no one really cares about this place, and my advice is to stay elsewhere. This hotel is truly a run-down, filthy, smelly, DUMP.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
DHitchcock, General Manager, Doug Hitchcock at North Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2009

I am writing for the purpose of updating travelers about The North Charleston Inn. You will notice that the comments are a little out of date as the last one was in December of 2008. The hotel has seen significant improvements in 2009 and I would like to assure travelers that they will recieve excellent customer service, a nice clean room, at a very reasonable rate. Please feel free to call me directly at 1-877-464-2700 if there are any questions I may answer regarding our hotel. The entire staff at The North Charleston Inn look forward to serving you when you visit Charleston.

Doug Hitchcock

Reviewed August 17, 2008

We spent the night at this motel and it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. The room itself, as far as decor, was OK, and the bed was comfortable, but that was the extent of anything positive about the experience. The room had a definite odor, seemed to smell like urine to me, that they tried to mask with heavy deodorizer. The drawers in the dresser smelled terrible, no way could anyone put clothes in them. One of the chairs had a big rip in it. One of the nightstands had stains on it I could wipe up, so that made me wonder how clean the room was. Every time the AC came on during the night it was so loud it woke me up. The tub's bottom was not on a hard/flat surface, and it was very hard to stand on. I can't even describe how weird it was, almost like when you stepped on one place on the bottom of the tub, you went down and another part went up. It was like being on very uneven ground that you couldn't see. No one with balance issues could shower in it, that's for sure.
It was barely OK for the one night as we went to a show at the nearby coliseum and really weren't in the room much, but I could not have stayed there a minute longer than we did.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Please if you value your life do not stay at this hotel. Upon our arrival there were unsavory people standing in the lobby looking like they were doing illegal transactions. Once we went to our rooms you could not sleep because of the loud cursing, hollering and screaming of the residents. When people did not want to carry their luggage down the steps they just threw the luggage down the steps which made loud crashing noises. When you try to report problems to the management they refuse to listen. The smirks on their faces says "they have your money so there is nothing you can do. We also heard loud barking dogs which seems like german shepards or pit bulls, not small dogs. Why would people have dogs that large in a hotel room. Last but not least they have microwaves in the room along with small refrigerators that do not work. The plumbling is broken and you get no help from management. The rooms are dirty and the locks are not that secure. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank zakisham
DHitchcock, General Manager, Doug Hitchcock at North Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2008

I am sorry you left our hotel feeling the way you did. As we take all of guests comments to heart, I have asked all 5 Managers at the hotel and none were aware of the issues mentioned. It is certainly not my place to pass judgement on our guests appearance so I will have take your word on the unsavory comment. As far as the dogs, we are a pet freindly hotel and do not discriminate based on the size of the dog. As to why people take dogs to hotels, I can only speculate people that love their pets would want to be with them. We do have security at the hotel 7 days a week and there was no mention in the security logs of any issues. I am certainly not disputing what you have said, but I would like to speak with you personally for more details so feel free to call me at 843-744-8281.

Doug Hitchcock

Reviewed July 3, 2008

Our group stayed at the North Charleston Inn during the week of the Fourth of July. I was concerned when I read some of the reviews, but DON'T BELIEVE THEM! I don't know what people expect for under $100.00 per night, certainly not a resort. WE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE. Our room was clean and the staff seems to be working hard to please the guests. I believe that the hotel may have had some problems in the past that they are working hard to overcome. Many of the rooms are being rennovated and the $4.99 breakfast buffet is wonderful. The pool area is large and landscaped beautifully. There is a Tangers Outlet Mall and a brand new Walmart right around the corner and you are about 30 minutes to either Folly Beach or the Isle of Palms. We visited both and spent a great deal of time in Dowhtown Charleston. Was it a resort? No. But it was more than adequate as a place to rest. I highly recommend the North Charleston Inn for those who are traveling or are on a tight budget.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 30, 2008

This hotel is disgusting. We were checked into a dirty room—beds unmade, garbage everywhere, and they put us on the second floor. I was traveling with a handicapped person who could not take stairs- they do not have elevators. They did put us in a different room after complaining to pretty much everyone that worked there. To tell the truth I didn’t even want to stay there at all, but we arrived at 3am. The next room that they had us stay in was disgusting as well. The sink and shower were dirty, the beds were sunken in, there were stains on all of the towels and sheets, cigarette burns everywhere (even though it was a non smoking room), the toilet moved if you sat on it, and to top it all of there were bugs—roaches, ants, pretty much anything you can think of.

I spoke to the manager about the situation, and she did offer me 50% off of my one night stay. She told me that the money would be credited to my account within 5 days. Well, 5 days later, I looked at my account, and noticed that I had been charged not only for the full price of the one night, but also for 3 more nights that I had not stayed there. When I called to let know of the mistake, everyone I talked to was rude and unwilling to make the changes.

Overall, this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Please do not stay in this horrid hotel unless you are looking to have a bad time while in beautiful Charleston.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank gweiss83
Reviewed May 23, 2008

My friend and I waited too long to book a room the weekend of the Cooper River Bridge Run. We decided it wouldn't be so bad because it was cheap and right beside the Outlet Mall. We ended up just having to laugh about it and try to have a sense of humor because it was one thing after another.

At check in there was one clerk and three people came to check in at once. Another girl walked out of the back room saw the crowd, said "Oh, h*ll no," and walked back into the back (she came out when the other girl was checking in the last person in line). The girl who was actually working was very nice and courteous.

The airport noise, the large groups of very young people who were very drunk, the one group who came back to the hotel at 4am and started chasing their dog around the courtyard and yelling because somebody had let it out and the powerwashing that woke us up on the second morning are all reasons I would not recommend staying here. They were literally powerwashing our door and water was pouring in because the door did not meet the threshold. We had to catch two palmetto bugs and throw them out the door and the bathroom was very dirty. We tried to call the front desk twice about the early morning noise, but nobody answered.

In addition, it did not feel very safe, so I would not recommend it for a single woman.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends