Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard
Ranked #8 of 60 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed March 8, 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham
Lbrent, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,675)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were only here for one night but were very impressed. We received a great rate and our room was very spacious and extremely clean. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. We truly enjoyed our stay, even if it was only for a night. I highly recommend this motel, especially if you have a child at Charleston Southern because it is adjacent to their campus and very convenient. It was a little ways from the downtown area, but right next to the interstate. The only thing I would mention for folks coming from the Charleston area to N. Charleston to this motel would be to be prepared for quick maneuvering to get into the left lane to make the turn onto University Blvd. However, that's not the fault of the motel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. Our goal as a staff is to see that you had an enjoyable stay! Please come back and see us when you visit Charleston again!

Reviewed March 7, 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anil O

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights mid February. Without question the best hotel I have ever stayed in and I have travelled extensively in many countries. Great first impression both interior and exterior. Main lobby is spacious and the rooms are easily accessible without interference from the event rooms that are in frequent use. Parking is plentiful and patrolled by college security which I often saw late at night. Quiet location off main highway. Quick commute to other main routes and many medical facilities.

Staff were the best and I'm pretty sure that over 7 days I met almost all of them personally which I make a point to do. Every one of them treated me with the utmost respect no matter what. I emphasize this point because I am a country bumpkin to most and now that I am retired I don't dress up and I prefer comfort over style. This has been an issue at other hotels who will look down their nose at me as if I am ruining their image by being there. Not here! Every one of them was ready and willing to help with anything that I needed or any question that I had. And there were plenty of questions connected with my reason for being in the area. No matter what or the time of day they stepped up and did their best to help. Which made a somewhat stressful situation much easier to deal with.

My room (305) was perfect. It faced the front of the hotel and except for a couple of quiet door closings close by was peaceful. Ice machine was plentiful as was beverage machine on each floor. Housekeeping always asked if I needed anything since I usually put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door when I go out. When they were in the room it was always quick and efficient. Doors are left open when they are in there as a security measure. I did return one day and they were in my room without a problem. Showers are nice. Hot water within 3 seconds, even less at the sink. Easy to regulate temperature which has been a problem many times elsewhere. Lots of towels and climate control dries the body quickly. TV fine and swiveled so that if you wanted to sit on the sofa instead of the bed to watch it worked. Wolfgang Puck coffee a pleasant perk you wouldn't expect for the great rate.

Breakfast is actually pretty tasty as hotel breakfasts go. Great bread/bagel/muffin selections for the quick toasting machine. Pastries, fruit, and yogurt. A meat selection that changed almost every day....I highly recommend the smoked sausage....it wasn't what I was expecting but it was very tasty! Waffles and bisquits w/ sausage gravy. Powdered eggs....the only negative. No surprise though since they are standard in most hotel buffets. All day coffee available and if you get there fast homebaked cookies in the evening!

If I had to nitpick the only complaint would be the difficult turn onto the access road from the highway intersection.From the one direction it is a hairpin turn and at night it's a blind turn. This isn't something they can control but it is worth mentioning to anyone coming here for the first time. Lines on the road to guide would be helpful.

This will always be my go to hotel when in this area and I am already looking for excuses to return! As mentioned the staff were the best and I miss them.... they felt like old friends when I left. Kudos to all of you and I look forward to seeing you again hopefully in the near future.

Room Tip: First floor rooms could experience hallway noise at weekends so request a higher floor if this is an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank cynsterwytche

Reviewed March 4, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was here for business and this room worked very well. Quiet atmosphere, and very close to the highway. Even has free internet. Friendly staff, business center, and a pool. I will stay here again when I return in April.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for four nights with my wife and our 16 month old son.

My visit started on a Saturday night. I reserved a two queen bed and requested a lower floor but when I checked in they had me in a one king bed room. Saying that the 1st floor was only king beds. I was not told that when I requested a lower floor so I was not happy. The lady at the desk was not very helpful just telling me that the hotel was 100% booked and nothing can be done for that night. I was placed into room 103. Not only was it not the type of room I wanted it also was extremely noisy. We heard the stairway door close each time someone used it. The next morning I went to the front desk and they had my request from my check-in about changing rooms. They were very helpful that morning. I already had an entire day planned out so they had me leave my bags at the front desk and they even put my gallon of milk for my toddler into their refrigerator to keep it cold till we came back that evening. When we came back we were greeted by Patty, by far their nicest employee. She knew right away who we were. Ensured we had everything we needed for our stay. Each day as we passed her she would say good morning and great our little son. The two queen room was much better. Was put on the 2nd floor. Had no issues with noises. The room was decent. Not the best but very good for the money we paid.

The breakfast was okay. They have two waffle irons (nice because some places only have one and can get lines). Every morning they had biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, assortment of fruit and pastries. They then rotated sausage patties, smoked sausages, and bacon. The first morning the lady running the area must have been having a bad day. Our first experience with her she was cleaning someone's table that left it trashed. She made some comments that shouldn't have been said with guests around. When I let her know items were running low she didn't seem to concerned. Like I said she must have been having a bad day because the other mornings she was fine. Our last morning she was even joking around with everyone.

Couple of things I did not like too much about the room. First the TV was much smaller then a room that size needed. It was a 32". TV channel selection was okay but all the broadcast channels were fuzzy. It was the same in both rooms so I am sure the entire hotel was like that. None of the channels were HD also. Beds were okay but one was lumpy, the other seemed fine.

Wifi was really good in both rooms. It was nice to only have to agree to the terms once for the entire trip. It remembered all of our devices and automatically allowed us to do whatever we need as soon as it connected. I watched a lot of Netflix and only had a slow connection one night. It was not super fast speed but good enough to stream SD quality with no issues.

Checkout experience was also very easy. Once again Patty was there when we left. She made a lasting expression on our entire visit in the hotel.

Overall if they have a price close to the price I paid this trip I will probably stay there again. My first night almost made me change hotels right away. Their normal price is close to the same as the Marriot Springhill Suites and I usually prefer that chain over the Wingate.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family