“Excellent in all catagories”

Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here the first weekend in October 2011. We used Priceline and we got a king size bed. Our room was fantastic and the hotel is close to everything. The free breakfast in the morning was good and the hotel staff were very professional. If you are visiting the Charleston area this is a must stay.

Room Tip: rooms in the front are very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 798nathaniele
CHARLESTONWINGATEDOS, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2011

Hello big0315,

I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor! Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at our Wingate. We believe we are excellent in all categories as well!! We hope to see you again on your next visit to Charleston.

Reviewed December 14, 2011

This location was the recommended hotel for attending a family wedding in mid-November 2011. Amenities and furnishings seemed new and the beds and linens were very comfortable. Our room looked out over a small wooded area so it felt a little removed from the hustle of the campus and the busy main drag. Breakfast was great with a good selection of quality items and a very relaxed and comfortable dining setting. Note that the hotel is not well marked and you may easily pass right by it on the road (as we did the first time, even with GPS). Price is great for such a nice hotel. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the wooded area out back.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank citylifemomma

Hello citylifemomma,

I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor! Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at our Wingate. We like to brag on our amenities because for the price, you can't beat it! It can be complicated when finding our hotel for the first time. My GPS doesn't lead me to the hotel either! The easiest way to explain is once you get off of I26 at Exit 205B, make your first left at the first light, the road wraps around and there we are. We hope to see you next time you're in the Charleston area!

Reviewed December 11, 2011

We spent 5 nights here in October, and we were extremely happy with our choice. The location is convenient (15-20 min from both Charleston downtown and Ashley River Plantations).
The room was very comfortable and spacious; the breakfast was great, too. I think you will get your money's worth here if you are looking for an affordable and nice place to stay close to Charleston.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Hello Goshan,

I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor! Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at our Wingate. I am glad you commented on our location. Even though, we are located 16 miles from downtown our hotel is easily accessible to the entire Charleston area. We hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Charleston!

Reviewed December 6, 2011

We got this room through Hotwire and did not know the name until we were booked. What a wonderful surprise. It is a nice property near the university and it sits back from the road with a nice stand of tall trees beside it. The room was spacious, clean, and well appointed. The hot tub and pool are outside and open 24/7 as long as a disturbance is not made. The breakfast area and food were inviting. I loved the place and loved the price I got from Hotwire!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Hello tlynn63,

I hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend! Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor! Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at our Wingate. Being tucked behind the trees gives our hotel the serenity everyone needs on vacation. Email me personally and I will match the best rate you find online: cnwest@charlestonwingate.com. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Charleston!

Reviewed November 21, 2011

My husband and I visited Charleston SC for our 2nd year anniversary. We stayed at the Wingate(Charleston University Blvd) and was very impressed with everything. The room we stayed in was extremely clean with comfortable beds. They even served a continential breakfast that was outstanding. The workers at Wingate were very nice and caring. I enjoyed my stay there and will definitely stay again, next time I go to Charleston. The atomsphere and cleaniness was like no other!!

Room Tip: The hotel is about fifteen minutes away from downtown Charleston.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello Blessed030,

I hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend! Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor! Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. We are glad you and your husband were able to spend your 2nd year anniversary in Charleston. We are happy to hear of the great experience you both had at our Wingate. We looked forward to seeing you guys again very soon!

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We booked our hotel through Hotwire. We wanted North Charleston as we would be attending a hockey game at the coliseum on Sat. night. We were booked at this hotel which is right on
I-26, not too far from Summerville. The hotel sets back away from the road so we had a problem finding it. The hotel does have a sign near the on-ramp to I-26....we did not see that since we were on the other side of the road.

When we arrived the room was not read (it was 2:00 P.M. on Sat. afternoon and the room was not ready). We left and came back in two hours to find a short wait for our room. The two women working the check in did not seem to know what they were doing. I guess they were both new.

The room was clean, but the bed was definitely not comfortable. Neither of us slept well at all. The complimentary breakfast was the norm. Restaurants nearby are all fast foods as the hotel is sitting on the campus of Charleston Southern University.

If I go again, I would not want to stay that far away from North Charleston. That is nothing against the hotel. My only complaint would be the bed and pillows being tooo big.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
CHARLESTONWINGATEDOS, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Charleston University Boulevard, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

Hello Pfishlady!

Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor! Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. I apologize you were not 100% satisfied at our Wingate by Wyndham. Since we are tucked away on the Charleston Southern University campus, it can be difficult to find our property for the first time. I'm sorry for any inconveniences our location caused you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you in the future. My direct line at the hotel is 843.818.5950. We hope you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I really would like to keep this place a secret, but... everything is so nice people need to know. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and inviting. And, yes, the beds really are comfortable. It is about 15-20 min. from downtown Charleston, but worth it for the surroundings and price. If you can't find something to your liking for breakfast, then you need to bring your own--they have cold and hot cereal, eggs and meat, the omnipresent sausage gravy and biscuits, yogurt, fruit, waffles, bagels, toast, English muffins, muffins and sweet rolls--not the most gourmet but tasty and plentiful. They will bring out fresh eggs 5 min. before the end of breakfast if someone wants them--all you have to do is ask. The only small negative is getting the room temperature constant, we got hot then cold--I think using the fan on all the time and a higher temp. would have been smarter, but the air conditioner really is no different than any other hotel.

Room Tip: the king with sleep sofa is almost like a small suite
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Hello jw3be,

Thank you for the review of our hotel on Tripadvisor and not keeping us a secret :) Any feedback we receive is greatly appreciated. Wyndham has recently changed their breakfast and we are finding it to be a "hit". We are glad you enjoyed it. We hope to see you again very soon!