“Great stay @ Aloft”

Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great stay @ Aloft”
Reviewed March 18, 2009

Upon arriving at Aloft we used the self service check in computers which shows you the room you are assisnged but also allows you to choose another room if you would like, however at this location there isn't much of a view from anywhere, but that feature is still neat. The guy who was working the front counter was very helpful with check in (even though we were using self check in) as well as with answering questions about the establishment.
Like another person stated in the review, I was expecting something different in regards to the bar and canteen areas. I was thinking they would be in another area (maybe even floor) of the hotel, but they are all a part of the lobby when you enter the hotel. Nonetheless, the area is still very spacious, nice and of course contemporary. There is a nice outdoor courtyard, indoor pool and small business center. There's a large variety of snacks to select from in the snack bar - with a price of course. :)The hotel offers free wi-fi which is a plus. The elevators have this cool little display that moves/changes when you move your feet adding to the funkiness of the hotel. :)

The King room that we had was very spacious. The sink area is somewhat small. There is a mini-fridge under the sink. None of the rooms in any Aloft (according to the rep at the desk) has tubs. It's showers only. The arrangement of the room and the plasma TV are very nice! In the room there is a frosted glass that is actually the same frosted glass of the shower - so you can somewhat see the person who is in the shower, not 100%, but you can still see. I'm not sure if this is the case in Queen rooms (people traveling with kids, etc).

The hotel is only about 10 minutes from downtown and is within walking distance of the outlet mall and several fast food restaurants.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
South Carolina
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Stayed at the hotel for one night. Was VERY impressed with the front desk staff...hi Amanda! My son was looking forward to the hotel so he could hook up his XBox and play while we were in town. When we arrived in our room, the XBox would not connect to the TV. No worries, the staff was so wonderful and promptly moved us down to the 4th floor and a TV that connected to the gaming system. All of the staff we encountered was friendly and attentive. I don't easily give compliments.
Overall, the value was good for the money. The room was different than the standard Hampton Inn room. :)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
houston
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Very hip and chic - reminiscent of the W Hotels but a much better value. It was minimalistic in furnisings which was OK. The bed was extremely comfortable, the big flat screen TV was great. We had a blast talking to other guests and the bartender at the lobby bar. Great drinks!

We were coming from the Sanctuary Hotel on Kiawah Island and just needed a night close to the airport for an early morning flight. This was perfect. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Had a free shuttle to the airport (and from if necessary).

We have stayed in hotels all over the world and this was a wonderful, value packed experience.

• Liked — location, decor, cleanliness, price
  • Disliked — liked everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We just returned from aloft Charleston and think it's still got a ways to go to become the nice hotel you can tell it wants to be. The decor is funky and fun. The rooms are a little small, but the showers are great.

Check in was a complete nightmare and we had to switch rooms a couple of times to get somewhere where it wasn't noisy and the room was cleaned thouroughly. You can clearly tell the staff was young and inexperienced. They have a long way to go for customer service in the hospitality industry. W Hotels should take a look at staffing the place up as I think it really has potential.

• Liked — It's fun - good location
  • Disliked — The staff and paying for cofee in the morning? Give me a break!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Fort Meade, Maryland
Reviewed November 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on Nov. 24th for one night before catching a flight to New York the next day. It was a cool little place in my opinion. The lobby really did have a lofty feel as the space was very open. plenty of places to lounge, funky art on the walls, a nice bar with a pool table, a fireplace... They also have an outdoor courtyard and an indoor pool. The fitness center was well kept and adequate. My room was pretty nice as well. Two very large windows, comfy bed, media port, plenty of counter space in the bathroom. There is a voyeur shower, but I was traveling with my finance so that wasn't so much a negative.. Our room was facing the street but I did not hear any street noise. I was awoken by the sound of an airplane at one point, but that's the price you pay when you want to be close to the airport.
The hotel is about 2 minutes from the Tanger Outlet and 10 minutes from the airport, and has a very efficient shuttle to both which runs 24 hours a day.
To me, this place is more for the 20's and 30's crowds, not really for families as the lobby take on a bar type atmosphere at night. I loved the place and if I'm ever passing through Charleston again, I'd stay there in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Funky atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Alamance County, NC
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I really, really wanted to like this hotel. In fact, I loved it up until the time I tried to get some sleep.

Pros:
Staff attentive. Grounds and room were clean, stylish, and well thought out. We appreciated the attention to details such as ipod dock, magazines, plenty of outlets, post-in note style notepads, complimentary bottled water, etc. One staff member, who's name I cant remember, noticed we accidentally left our car door open in the parking lot. They were able to identify us and called out room to let us know they closed the door.

Cons: You can hear the elevator distinctly in the rooms, even though our room was at the end of the hall. There were a large number of people in the lobby and in the courtyard making noise late at night (3am). Any outside noise comes in clearly through the air conditioner. And the fridge gives a loud click when the compressor comes on. I was unable to sleep through all the noise. Unfortunately, the air conditioner does not have a fan only setting. If it did, I could have left it on to muffle the other noises. Around 3:30am we gave up trying to sleep and asked to check out. We were convinced by the night staff to try another room that does not overlook the courtyard. It was marginally better and I was able to get a few hours of mediocre sleep.

Overall: If you like modern urban style, a youthfull feel and can sleep through late night noise, you will probably love this hotel. If you are a light sleeper like me, go elsewhere if you want to get a good nights rest.

Television: Love the large flat panel on the wall. Chanel selections were limited, with many stations that were not receiving a peroper signal.

Beds: Firm, which I like but some may not. There was an odd mattress cover which was stiff and tended to bunch up under the sheets. I loved the fluffy down style blankets.

Air Conditioner: Loud. Does not have fan only setting, so you cant use it to drown out sounds. Our room had two double beds. The air conditioner was under a countertop which acted as a funnel, sending cold air streaming directly at one of the two beds. Some may consider this a benefit, but we found it to be plain uncomfortable.

Internet: Free! We were able to use the wireless but could not get the hard wired internet connection to work.

Room Noise: Even at the far end of the hall, the elevators were overwhelmingly noisy. They created a noticable vibrating/buzzing sound similar to the sound of a compressor on a large air conditioner. Normally you would not think it would be a problem late at night, but it was 2am and there were guests actively going up and down the elevators. These same guests were treating the lobby and outdoor seating area like an afterpary. If you have a room overlooking the outdoor seating area, you will be able to hear anyone who is out there.

Doors: The doors to the rooms are quite heavy. This is good for keeping out noise in the hall, but I imagine it would be hard or impossible for an elderly person or a younger child to open them.

Food: We really appreciated having the 24 Hour snack bar. We headed down there for a midnight snack of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, glad we didnt have to leave the hotel to find a snack.

Around 3 after not being able to take it anymore my husband and I showered up, packed up, and went to the lobby with the intention of sleeping in our car as a shelter from the barrage of noise and stimulation that was entering our room. On our way to the lobby we noticed well over a dozen people pouring in and out of the elevators and loudly congregating in the lobby area. We made our way to the desk and spoke with the night staff member in the lobby. He asked if we were on level 2, as if there apparently was a high level of complaints coming from there, and we said no. We then told him that we wanted our money back. He offered us a new room, 2000 free club membership points, which he said was roughly equavalent to a free nights stay (Once we got home, we would discover we actually would need 7000 points for a free nights stay) and a free breakfast from the refuel station in the morning. We were convinced to try another room that does not overlook the courtyard. It was marginally better and I was able to get a few hours of mediocre sleep. The free membership points have not materalized either. We decided to give up on getting those since we dont intend to stay there again anyway.

There are so many things that this hotel has done right. If I had not been disturbed by noise until the wee hours of the night, I would have loved it.

• Liked — Modern style and youthful vibe, as a change of pace from the usual mid-grade hotel
  • Disliked — Too much late night noise.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarenea
Baltimore
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We decided on staying at this hotel because it was supposedly close to the airport. It is marginally close. It didn't look at all like the website pictures. There was one person at the front desk, who was busy doing something on the web instead of greeting us. We were put into a room at the long end of a hallway next to the stairs, which I generally don't like when traveling alone. The sink stopper was stuck shut, with water in the sink. I tried one phone to call the front desk, and it was broken. The direct dial to the front desk on the other phone didn't work, and I had to just dial 0. The "dude" at the front desk had me speak to the maintenance guy, who was very nice, came to the room after the first suggestion didn't work, and asked if we minded switching rooms. The maintenance person was the best thing in the hotel. The lobby and the hallways had an awful room freshener smell. The toilet seat in the second room was broken. When we checked out the next morning, the woman at the front desk acted as if I were crazy to want a receipt, but then the printers were broken so I couldn't get one anyway. This was definitely the only time I will book aLoft. Hilton's Hampton Inns or Courtyard by Marriott are definitely nicer in the same price range.
Stay away.

• Liked — the maintance person who was very helpful
  • Disliked — the front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business