“Modern out of town hotel”
Review of Aloft Charleston

Aloft Charleston
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Hampshire
“Modern out of town hotel”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived in Charleston without having booked anywhere in advance, so we stopped at the Tourist Office and they were very helpful in finding us somewhere to stay, Ideally, we had wanted to stay near the beach, but there was nothing available so we opted to stay out of town. This worked out well as we drove into Charleston each day and it was no problem.

This is a very modern hotel and the check in was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and also had a microwave, fridge and safe. There was also free wifi. Our room looked out over the front and in the mornings we were fascinated to watch a family of ducks who seemed to keep crossing the busy road.

Breakfast was included in our room rate, but it was not great. There is a food area where you make your choice and then it is bought out to you all wrapped up, I chose a muffin with Eggs, Ham and Cheese, it was un-naturally hot and it did not really have a lot of taste. We did not bother with breakfast on our second morning.

There are several eating places nearby the hotel and we ate at Big Billys Burgers which was great.

We received good service, the room was clean and it was good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven S, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thanks for your recent review of your stay at the aloft Charleston! We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, its modern upbeat vibe, and the overall accommodations! I do apologize for the temperature of your refuel breakfast sandwich and will review this and your overall experience with the staff. We value your feedback, and will ensure that we look into these items, to ensure your next stay is even better! We are also glad to hear that you met our feather friends wondering around the grounds! The ducks bring joy many who encounter them! See you soon!

Live~ Life ~ Aloft and Safe Travels Always!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Welcoming staff, and clean, OK room, although wallpaper was peeling off in the bathroom. BUT, 24 hours a day in the room I had (227) there is this loud noise every 30 seconds or so. Thought it must be the elevator, which is close, but not every 30 seconds throughout the night (and day). A colleague in another room (220) had the same problem. Time for the management to install some sound-proofing. Won't ever stay here again, and will recommend others not to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jinnes
Steven S, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thanks for your review. I am please that you encountered welcoming staff and cleanliness was not an issue. But... I do want to sincerley apologize for the issues you encountered. These issues are not typical at our property and we take them very seriously. I have reviewed the information you provided and apparently this room had some wall paper replacement that failed to stick. We have corrected the issue for future guests and are looking to into the issue with noise. Please reach out to me if there is anything else we can do to assure you that your next stay will be perfect.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I recently stayed at the Aloft hotel in North Charleston for a quick weekend stay. I was mixing business and pleasure and was pleasantly suprised. As a Starwood member, I have not stayed at a Aloft before and enjoyed my stay. The hotel reminds me of a more business orientated and cheaper version of a W. Another way to look at it is that the Aloft brand is a trendier version of a Four Points by Sheraton. If Four Points is Sheraton's lower priced point business hotel, than Aloft's is W's. My room was clean and well appointed: Flat screen tv mounted on wall, Mini-fridge, and a glass door on the shower! Some very nice touches on a sub $200 a night room.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably better.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We are glad that you decided to give the aloft a try and appreciate your review. The aloft is a similar version of W. We pride ourself on giving our guests a new, unique, and different experience! Thanks again for your kind review, we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Charleston!

Live~Life~Aloft
Florida
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Aloft is a lot like a W with less expensive furnishings but just as cool. Wonderful greeting by the staff with live music playing in the lobby. Wow - great first impression! Everyone was very friendly!! The set up of the rooms were totally hip. The bar was nice, uncrowded and service fantastic. One problem in my room was the loud air conditioner. I told the front desk about it in the morning so hopefully it has been repaired. It was an easy drive into the city to do all the tourist stuff and the rooms were less than half the cost to stay downtown.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for such a great review, and we are pleased that you LIKED IT ! At the aloft Charleston we pride ourselves on making the first impression a lasting impression! I do apologize for the airconditioning and will review to ensure it does not bother a future aloft guest.

Safe Travels !
Reviewed October 9, 2013

When we checked in there was a slight problem with the room however the staff fixed right away the young lady a the desk was amazing she is such an asset to the hotel the GM was wonderful he a great roll model and his staff follows suite excellent hotel the only place to stay in Charleston sc

• Stayed October 2013
Thanks you for the fantastic review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the service was impeccable! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Charleston !
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Traveled to this hotel as part of a conference. Room received no maid service over two night stay. Elevator was broken. Internet was slow to the point of being unusable...later found front desk staff watching hulu.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Amy_Poe, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Charleston, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Diaworld,
I am so sorry to hear about the negative experience you had while staying at the Aloft Charleston. I understand how frustrating it can be to arrive at a hotel and not have all the amenities working, especially the elevator. Also, I am so sorry that the customer service you experienced during your stay was not up to par, and I do appreciate you writing this review to let us know so that we can address these items with our staff to improve for future guest stays. In regards to not having your room cleaned during your stay, I am not sure if this is the reason, but might you been asked at check-in if you wanted to “make a green choice” during your stay? I am not sure if you did, but if you answered yes, then you actually let the hotel know that you were going to forego housekeeping services for the duration of your stay. If this happened, I apologize if what you were opting into wasn’t made clear to you during check-in. If you would like to discuss your stay any further, I encourage you to reach out to the GM, Steve Spear (sspear@aloftcharlestonairport.com). I hope the rest of your time in Charleston was great.
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Well I never got to stay in the room a booked. My whole family got to stay there because they used points.I didn't have points and was trying to save a few bucks. I went thru a third party (Expedia.) Not only that, I was charge for the night I didn't stay there. Some how the date was changed to the week before the wedding. And for $165 do you think someone would call and say, Chuck we have a room booked and you haven't showed up? Or maybe an email from the hotel? Expedia has blown up my email since I signed up. Delete them as fast as possible. but the one you should have read gets over looked because you get sick of all the junk you get now days. So to everyone I know, I will never ever recommend this site or hotel again. When I got there this morning at 11 an the hotel cleck looked up my reservation and asked for my cell number saying she would call me the minute a room open up from house keeping. At Three in the afternoon I check in with her and she informs me I don’t have a reservation. I asked what had changed from 11 to 3? I’ve been sitting around the hotel for four hours thinking I had a room. She then tells me I had a reservation for the weekend before. Now I had called the week before to request a room near my parents who are in there 80”s. Gave the hotel their names and dates. And wouldn’t you think that on a prepaid room someone from the hotel would call me and ask when I was planning on checking in? So the hotel just sales the room again and charges me for not showing up. So our whole family gets to enjoy the moment together while I go check into another hotel down the street. Pay again for a room I get to use. The Homewood Suites was a better deal, bigger room, full breakfast and enjoyable service. I will never use Expedia again or stay in another Aloft hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't book thru a third party like Expedia. If there is a problem you are on your own!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank clanders
Dear clanders,
I am so sorry to hear about the negative experience you had with our hotel. I completely understand your frustration with this situation, and although we have no control over what happens with expedia bookings, I do want to apologize for the lack of communication that came from our hotel during the conversations you had with the staff during the week prior to your visit as well as once you arrived at the hotel. I do want to thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can use it as a learning experience moving forward. I have passed this review along to the management team, and if you would like to discuss anything further, I encourage you to reach out to Steve Spear, the general manager, at sspear@aloftcharlestonairport.com. Again, I am so sorry that your experience with the Aloft Charleston was not a great one, but I do hope the rest of your time in Charleston was much better.