“great stay:)”
Review of Aloft Charleston

Aloft Charleston
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed November 8, 2012

just wanted to let yall know that Holly and Cash were a joy to be around during my stay. they were very accomodating and cant wait to see them again on my next visit:) the location was perfect! i will be sure to recommend this hotel to everyone i know. absolutely loved the decor!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Angeline R, Front Office Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

We are buzzed to hear that you had a great stay. I will share your comments with Cash and Holly. The next time your in town please buzz on in to the Aloft for a nice relaxing weekend.

Angeline Richards
Assistant General Manager
Aloft Charleston Airport & Convention Center

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The earplugs that Aloft places next to the best are the first indicator that the hotel is situated directly under one of the runways used by military aircrafts. On some nights there are as many as ten aircraft that land during the later hours, however most of the nights had but one or two.

The room is clean and comfortable. I like the bathroom layout and the mint soup they provide. The lobby is very sheik, with a full bar and a pool table. It has the feel of a nice frat house.

As for things I don't like. I don't like the air conditioning. It is so loud that I can't hear a phone call while it’s running. The Internet is free and is typically solid. It doesn't seem to be as solid in my room on this stay, so it depends on location. If you are a Starwood member, for which I am a Platinum, there is no better place to stay in North Charleston.

Room Tip: They have a laundry facility on the top floor. Avoid rooms near the elevator. It's loud and th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked a King online, they only had 2 queen available when I arrived. It was ok, room seemed bigger and the front desk young man was so pleasant. Great local magazines in the room, close to downtown. My evening was quiet, peaceful. Price and location is wonderful. Works well for me.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Angeline R, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. I hope you keep us in mind when you come back into town!!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel could actually be quite nice if it was cleaned decently; and I mean this about the rooms, the bathrooms in the lobby and the lobby itself (dirty floors, dirt in the grout of the tile in bathrooms like it hadn’t been cleaned in a while). The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the overpoweringly disgusting smell in the lobby (they had candles burning and I think also an air spray)- it smelled almost like the citronella candles burned outside to keep bugs away- not a nice smell. I actually got a headache from it, and I would think if you had guests with allergies it would affect them as well. At check in I did NOT get a receipt for the hold they put on my credit card (MY MISTAKE). I had the emailed confirmation from Priceline that my room would be $289, and I had also called and spoken with Rose who told me that with taxes my room would be roughly $320 total. The check in attendant did not offer or give me a receipt, and I only knew I had been overcharged when I received an email stating my bank account had been over drawn by $443! I went back to the front desk and was told that since I booked through Priceline (they kept referring to it as Booking.com) I should have been rung up differently to reflect the Priceline rates. In total I was charged $532 dollars instead of $320. The hotel manager (kindly) informed me there was nothing she could do because the room rates wouldn’t drop till Sunday when I checked out. I had to get my boyfriend’s credit card and have the hold switched to HIS card, and then call my bank and ask them to remove the Aloft charge.

The hotel did give us a nice little doggy bag with info on local vets and dog parks, which was considerate. What I did not find considerate was the broken hairdryer in the room or the gigantic cockroach we had to kill. When I told the hotel at checkout about the bugs and broken hairdryer the attendant at the front desk didn’t even pretend that she cared. The hotel has no room service, FYI, you can only order food from a local delivery service, and they have a delivery minimum you have to meet when you order. There was a nice buffet offered on Saturday and Sunday for only $6 that I though provided good food for an amazing price (you did get seconds for free). Upon checkout I was told my total was $360, but found out that since I was paying with my DEBIT CARD there was an automatic HOLD charge of $150 added to the $360 (the $150 hold charge was supposed to fall off with five to seven business days). I only found this out after I ran my debit card for $360 and was charged $540.
Overall I was not impressed with the hotel or the service of its staff, and I will not be going back to Aloft ever.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anastasia S
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I feel like the hotel was created by IKEA. The rooms are on the smaller side. However they are well planned out. The staff was friendly. I like the fact the it is a mordern hotel. It is a little drive from downtown but you can walk to the outlets nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The decorative inside makes up for its average exterior. It has very clean and quiet atmosphere. Perfect for a business trip hideout insted of a place to bring the kids. The rooms are nice, depending on which side of the hotel you stay in. you could either wake up to a dark cave scene, or be woken up by the beaming sun rays. I would definately rate this hotel a 3+ but not quite a 4star but with minor touch ups it could be one easy.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

To attend my high school class reunion, I decided to arrive in Charleston the night before the festivities began and have a little down time. I'd never heard of Aloft, and I was pleasantly surprised. As I'm violently allergic to feathers, I notify hotels not to have any down pillows or comforters in my room. In most cases, my request is ignored until I call housekeeping to replace the down pillows with polyster ones. Aloft had heeded my request. The bathroom was spacious; the shower was sublime especially after venturing to the outlets, which are much further away from the hotel than expected.

The small hotel bar was perfect. I asked the young woman tending bar if it was possible to buy a bottle of wine to take to my room. Not only did she say it was ok, but she gave me the wine at half price as it was still during happies. The free breakfast was wasted on me, but it was available if you belong to AAA.

What a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo