“If you love flowers, do not miss this!”

Carter & Holmes Orchids
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Newberry
More attraction details
Owner description: This is a catalogue order center for orchids. They offer tours of the greenhouses and a "taking care of orchids" workshop to the public.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I went here after spending a day in Newberry and it was the perfect way to cap our day in the city. She really loves flowers and knows a good bit about them for an amateur. You can tour about 3 or 4 greenhouses and purchase just about any plant or flower you see. The facility is less than 5 miles away from town and if you are a flower person it's worth about an hour of your time. This place grows a lot of their own varieties of Orchids and cross-breeds, and some of the colors that resulting were just breathtaking considering they are from nature. You definitely want to spend at least an hour here!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

What a fabulous place. You really have the run of the green houses and can walk through any green house that is not locked. The staff working in the green houses are very friendly and will share with you everything you want to know. The varity of orchids are mind blowing. I have never grown orchids before but did buy a few different varities and the staff was great helping me decide how to take care of them and what should be purchased with them. They did not try to push products and ensured that I knew they would ship anywhere. They also told us to call if we needed help. Wonderful place for anyone that likes flowers and plants. Recommend leaving everything but your camera in the car as the rows are narrow with all the plants.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I was stunned by the 15 or so greenhouses, the brilliance of the plants, and the friendly employees. We came, accidently, during one of their 4 times a year open houses and were offered a free lunch that was delightful. Brought home one orchid that's about to bloom and two others that are flourishing. Very cool place.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We enjoyed our visit and tour or Carter and Holmes. We were very pleased to have Mr. Holmes gives us our tour. I learned a lot about orchids and had no idea there are so many varieties. There was a $5.00 charge for the tour, but you were given a voucher that was worth $5.00 at the end of the tour to buy a plant. I would not recommend this tour for those that have balance problems as there are steps and pipes you need to maneuver through as you go through the greenhouses.