“In the road surprise.”

Cuisines: American
Johnson City, Tennessee
“In the road surprise.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Was just stopping for gas and restroom break however it was close enough to lunch and a halfway point to home so decided to grab a bite. Nothing gourmet but definetely worth the stop and away from fast food. I had the beef tips and rice which were very good along with Mac and cheese. Not the box kind but real cheddar cheese Mac. It was also very good. Fried squash tasted fresh but hard to say. Corn muffins were tasty. My partner had the fried chicken and also was very good. She also had the loaded potato salad which appeared to be just mayo based with bacon on top. It was fine but nothing I would order again. Free dessert(banana pudding). i took a bite but nothing special so decided not to eat the calories.Over all was a good value and pretty good home cooking. Wouldn't hesitate to stop in again on my next trip thru SC and our waitress was very friendly.

Visited July 2013

Mount Vernon, New York
“You MUST get the famous Fried Chicken!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We go to Bill and Fran's every year when we visit Newbery for the Cromer family reunion. The fried chicken puts Colonel Sanders to shame. Anything you order will be down home delicious. Go, eat and enjoy!

Visited June 2013
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Must...have....BLT”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I stopped here - or were guided here? - a few weeks ago traveling from Chicago to Jacksonville FL. We thought we were getting off the road for a quick coffee from the advertised gas station but when we pulled into the lot and saw Bill and Fran's on the other side of the parking lot, we decided to give it a try. And what a good choice! We sat at the counter and watched the very talented, multi-tasking short order cook keep three or four different orders all going at the same time. Yes, the staff doesn't want to make small talk but hey, that has its own charm, I guess. We ordered BLTs to go - something else we never do. I don't remember any other BLT ever tasting so good. Next time we're driving on I26, we know where we're going to stop!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kate A
Greenville, South Carolina
“Meat and...”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

2 or 3. Food is good, great value, your typical meat and three, great service, very clean, just off the highway.

Howell, New Jersey
“Don't have the catfish”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is the typical road side diner style restaurant. I am sure they do certain things really well like breakfast. The food prices are certainly cheap enough and there were plenty of older locals present. I had the Catfish special. 3 fish with sides. the sides were fine, potato and corn. The waitress told me the field peas tasted like dirt to her. She did give me a free sampler. I thought they were just like black beans. The catfish was deepfried and sitting in a hot pan under a heat lamp. I saw this later. It was served so quickly I didn't have my napkin out yet. The things were a solid hunk of fried breading. There was almost no edible portions left. The meat was so dried out it was really pitiful. I ate the potato and corn, had two of three dinner rolls, (the store bought kind) and left the third one after finding my second to be half stale.

If I had breakfast there it might be a different story, but after that dinner I won't go back.

• Visited January 2013