“Must...have....BLT” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bill and Fran's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Newberry
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Must...have....BLT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I stopped here - or were guided here? - a few weeks ago traveling from Chicago to Jacksonville FL. We thought we were getting off the road for a quick coffee from the advertised gas station but when we pulled into the lot and saw Bill and Fran's on the other side of the parking lot, we decided to give it a try. And what a good choice! We sat at the counter and watched the very talented, multi-tasking short order cook keep three or four different orders all going at the same time. Yes, the staff doesn't want to make small talk but hey, that has its own charm, I guess. We ordered BLTs to go - something else we never do. I don't remember any other BLT ever tasting so good. Next time we're driving on I26, we know where we're going to stop!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kate A

Greenville, South Carolina
“Meat and...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

2 or 3. Food is good, great value, your typical meat and three, great service, very clean, just off the highway.

Howell, New Jersey
“Don't have the catfish”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is the typical road side diner style restaurant. I am sure they do certain things really well like breakfast. The food prices are certainly cheap enough and there were plenty of older locals present. I had the Catfish special. 3 fish with sides. the sides were fine, potato and corn. The waitress told me the field peas tasted like dirt to her. She did give me a free sampler. I thought they were just like black beans. The catfish was deepfried and sitting in a hot pan under a heat lamp. I saw this later. It was served so quickly I didn't have my napkin out yet. The things were a solid hunk of fried breading. There was almost no edible portions left. The meat was so dried out it was really pitiful. I ate the potato and corn, had two of three dinner rolls, (the store bought kind) and left the third one after finding my second to be half stale.

If I had breakfast there it might be a different story, but after that dinner I won't go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank starjim
Vonore
“Service without a smile”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Bill and Fran's is a busy place. Breakfast is served all day, and many people order it. On a Sunday afternoon there is a meat-and-three special. The fried chicken is excellent, and so are the hash browns. However, do not expect the cashier to thank you, to ask youto come back, or even to smile.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Daytona Beach, FL
“Still Best for Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I read the recent reviews and would agree that Bill & Fran's is the best breakfast stop in the area. Just off of the interstate, and with a large dirt lot in back for semis, this local favorite is definitely worth visiting when you are in the area. Try the onion sausage(link). It was a pleasant surprise!

• Visited November 2012