“Very Friendly and Accomodating Staff; Tasty Continental Breakfast!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Newberry
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Spent one week in this hotel. The staff were fabulous! My room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The only negative comment I have about the room was that the bathtub needed to be re-caulked. Also, the shower curtain occasionally smelled sour/musty, but I imagine that is a recurrent problem given the humid environment. The continental breakfast was very tasty with many options; comparable to a sit down restaurant.....and the cleaning staff were very friendly and kept everything sparkling. The cinnamon buns were irresistible. We were disappointed that the swimming pool was under repair and the treadmill was in disrepair. We did enjoy a daily 5 mile walk at Lynch's Woods though - go early before the heat sets in! Thank you for an enjoyable vacation!

Room Tip: The hotel was fully booked. Despite the volume of guests, I was not bothered at all by noise. My r...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelationsMngrSS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear R and BT,
Thank you for reviewing our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newberry Hotel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our friendly staff! We take breakfast seriously, so I am glad to know that you took advantage of our complimentary Express Start breakfast bar! I hope that you had a safe trip home, and we look forward to your next visit to Newberry, South Carolina.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived late and were first told there were no rooms available other than one suite which was above our budget for a brief 6 hour stay. Then the clerk in training said that they did have "out of service rooms" available. The only difference was that the tv didn't work. Not a big deal so we took it even though they barely discounted it. What they didn't tell us is that the air conditioning unit would rattle throughout the night, preventing any decent sleep at all. The pillows were labeled as "soft" and "firm" but there was no difference in any of them. All were flat. I finally decided to get up and head to the pool, thinking a good swim would somewhat refresh me before getting back on the road, only to find that the indoor pool was closed for maintenance. That's something else that was never mentioned when we checked in. I would like to say that the room was clean and breakfast was pretty good the next morning, but that's about the only positives. I'm new to the IHG family of hotels, and had a nice stay recently at another Holiday Inn Express property. If I had it to do over again for this trip, I would have kept driving and found a Hilton or Marriott property.

Room Tip: Check the AC unit before you get settled in to make certain that it doesn't rattle.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Telecom387
GuestRelationsMngrSS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newberry Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Express Start Breakfast Bar and our clean facility. I am sorry that we were unable to offer you a standard room that was not classified as “out of service”. I apologize for the loud air conditioning unit, and appreciate you bringing it to our attention so the issue can be resolved. I will make sure that our General Manager knows about your experience so that we do not let something like this happen again. Please feel free to reach out to me at GuestRelations@HotelEvolution.Net to further discuss your visit. I hope that you will consider us in the future!

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Let us check in then informed me pool area was closed due to a imbalance of chemicals. Everything else was good. All clean , hope breakfast is good tables look nice and clean. Close to restaurants and other stores in Newberry and right off the interstate.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank jojo8264
GuestRelationsMngrSS, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear JoJo,
Thank you for reviewing our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newberry Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our convenient location just off I-26. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to take a dip in the pool during your stay. When there is an imbalance of chemicals it is hotel policy to close the swimming area until resolved. I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We selected this particular HIE as our stopping point midway between Indianapolis and Savannah. As most travelers know, hotels within an hour or so of Asheville are pretty expensive because of the mountain retreats and Biltmore. This HIE was just outside of that expensive area and offered king suites advertised as renovated, a pool, a hot tub, and a free breakfast. Still, though, we paid approximately $130 for the room, so it was a bit more than we normally pay for an HIE.

First, let me give the good points. This HIE has a welcoming staff, great pool and exercise room. Nesting barn swallows also added some interest to the location. The hot tub was great, too, although we were a little concerned when we saw that the pool inspection sticker said that their license expired in March 2012. I'm hoping that was an oversight in updating the sticker rather than foregoing a required inspection. Breakfast was fine, and the hotel staff seemed to accommodate a full house with lots and lots and lots of children as they hit the breakfast buffet with no problems. We also appreciated the clerk who checked us in and recommended in-town places to eat. We visited the recommended Palms, and it was very good after such a long drive. The room had a refrigerator and microwave and complete coffee / tea station. And, the air conditioner worked great.

On the bad side, the room appeared to be updated with the more modern HIE furniture and television. We stay at HIEs frequently, so noting the updated ones and older ones is fairly easy. I always look at the pictures on the websites to compare to the hotel description. The problem was that the items you cannot determine by photos either hadn't been updated or this hotel updated them long enough ago that they needed to be replaced now. The mattress was not comfortable at all. It was not "new" firm; it was old, worn down hard. The pillows had the renovated "firm" and "soft" labels on the pillowcases, but every pillow was lumpy and small and old. They needed to be replaced.

Breakfast was fine. The turkey sausage patties were disgusting but were replaced by more traditional sausage links midway through our time in the breakfast area. Most other typical HIE breakfast items were there EXCEPT for one key item for families with children. There was neither a pancake maker nor waffle maker nor any pre-made pancakes or waffles. For the kids, this was a let-down since those items always appear on the HIE breakfast bar.

In our world, we look for two king beds or a king suite with a king bed and fold-out king couch to accommodate our family of four with older children. Our kids are teenagers so the two double beds in a hotel room just don't cut it any longer.

Although we were planning to return on the same route, I just haven't been able to find anything that meets our needs along the same route without going to into that high-priced hotel zone, so we're going to return home via Atlanta and Chattanooga and look for an updated HIE that, hopefully, will be renovated right down to the great mattresses and linens we've been spoiled with in several HIEs across the country.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Denise R
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Robertsghs,
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newberry Hotel. We opened our doors for business in 2009, so we are a fairly new hotel. I understand your concern about the expired pool inspection sticker. South Carolina no longer issues stickers with inspections. I can assure you that the pool was inspected last week, and we are approved to continue letting our guest use the facility through March 2015.

I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. We are currently upgrading our pillows in each guest room. Each room is equipped with a Serta pillow top mattress on either king bed or queen beds depending on the room selection. We apologize for any discomfort during your stay.

Our Express Start Breakfast Bar is set up to meet state regulations. Unfortunately we are not allowed to host a pancake maker or a waffle make on the property. Please feel free to reach out to us at GuestRelations@HotelEvolution.Net to further discuss your stay with us. Thank you again for letting us know about your visit; your feedback will help us better serve our guests. We hope to see you again the next time you need a hotel in the Newberry, SC area.

Holiday Inn & Suites - Newberry Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2014

The Holiday Inn and Express in Newberry, SC was nice! It's a newer hotel so it had all the bells and whistles. It was very clean, and comfortable. The breakfast service was excellent! The staff was so nice, made you feel welcomed. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Couple Quail Hunters,
Thank you for the excellent review of our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Newberry SC. I’m happy to hear that you loved our clean and comfortable Newberry hotel. I’m also glad that you had a chance to enjoy our complimentary Express Start breakfast in the morning. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2014

We spent the night there this week as we traveled for a family funeral. The hotel was very well done, clean, comfortable, the staff was very nice. We had one of the "suite" rooms and it was nice to have the extra space, microwave, fridge, etc. The bathroom was well equipped, except no shampoo or conditioner in our room. Needed both! The breakfast was good, however, it was very busy there on a weekend morning and the young woman working could have used a helper. She was very busy!

Room Tip: room 320 was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank KarenBilly57
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Dear Karen Billy,
Thank you for the great review of our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Newberry, SC. We’re glad that you enjoyed your stay and the extra room that the suite provided . We appreciate your feedback; I will pass along your comments to the General Manager. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Newberry. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you’re in the area!
Thanks again,

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Had a long day of driving in the rain and the hotel accommodations were a welcome sight. The receptionist on duty was very efficient and helpful as we checked in. I had requested a reduced rate since we were AAA members. After giving him my payment card he asked for identification. I pulled out my drivers license and it also has my military ID card attached. He saw that and said that he could give me a better rate for military than for AAA. That was going the extra mile. Many other receptionist fail to tell you about any offers for a lower price.

We later had trouble logging onto the internet and another receptionist helped with that also. I would say that is service and it was with a smile.

The room was great and larger than most. Thank you Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Bill,
Thank you Bill for your great review and for your service to our country. We greatly appreciate you letting us know about your recent Holiday Inn Express & Suites experience here in Newberry, SC. I’m happy to hear that after a long day of driving our large rooms and terrific customer service was exactly what you needed to brighten your day. We do offer a military and AAA discount so I am glad you were able to find the best deal for you and enjoy a restful night with us. We hope you had a great trip to Newberry and we’d love to welcome you back next time you’re in the area.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites – Newberry Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newberry
Hampton Inn Newberry Opera House
Hampton Inn & Suites Clinton
Comfort Suites Clinton
Comfort Suites Clinton
#2 of 4 in Clinton
Days Inn Newberry
Days Inn Newberry
#3 of 4 in Newberry

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry? Share your experiences!