“don't be fooled by the internet pics and the flase post made by the satff”
Review of Hotel Blue

Hotel Blue
Ranked #142 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“don't be fooled by the internet pics and the flase post made by the satff”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

First after you stay u will never be able to go on their web site and post a review because they knw it will be a negative review. they have fake posting giving all the wonderful reviews on their web site. probably posted by the staff or owner. Hopefully u will see the real ones and NOT stay at HOTEL BLUE. I would accept the hotel being slightly different than the web but this hotel was nothing like the web description and pics. To their credit the only thing I found enjoyable abt this hotel was the bar at the pool and after the dissapointment of the rooms and the rude staff u will need a stiff drink.

Let me begin with chk-in. there was atorm so the computers were dwn (2 of the staffers up front were arguing) And alos to their credit the chk-in area/lobby has upgraded decor.
Well once we left the lobby to go to our room thats were the TRUTH was told. The elevators were hot, musty & moldy. Once we enterd our so called 2/bed rm suite that we thought we booked. the front opens to a room with 2 beds and the 2nd bdrm is a pull out bed tht tucked inside the wall which is also the dinning/ tv area. The kitchenette was so small I passed it coming in...seriously it was the size of a storage closet.

The room kept in fashion with the elevators they smelled musty/molded as well. Truly the owners should be ashamed to take ppls hard earned money knowing that they are not providing the accomodations that they portray.

Well after the shock of the room I called down to the forn desk to ask if there was mistake becuse I bookde a 2 bedrm only to be rudley told that was the 2/bd rm suite that I booked.

My entire family was there for afamily reunion so we all decide to make the most of our accomodations but Nooooooo. Then we had problems with the flashlight cops harassing our teenage kids (posing themselves as real cops at that) that was another episode that would take 2 pages to tell.

Just knw that the rooms are nasty there is no WI-FI as they mention on the web. the coffe pot, toaster, TV looked like sumthng they picked up from a yard sale (no kidding)

None of this will matter to the staff because once the get your money they will talk rude to you and not care waht u think of their hotel.

Also if you have teenage kids please tell them to have their video phones on when approached by the flashlight cops(security) they are harassing the teens for no reason. They will soon find themselves in court for some of their maddness.

I could go on and on abt this shabby hotel but u get the picture

STAY AWAY FROM HOTEL BLUE

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I wish I would have done more research on this hotel. It was TERRIBLE! Extremely dirty, probably has not been renovated in twenty years. Stay away! I felt totally ripped off--ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We wanted a week's vacation w/our recently turned 1 year old daughter at Myrtle Beach. We picked Hotel Blue because it was on the beach, had pools, had a suite where she could have her pack n' play in one room and we could still watch tv, read, etc. in the other room & they had WiFi. We also wanted a full kitchen so we didn't have to eat out constantly. Unfortunately, I would need to work a bit on vacation so internet access was key. The pictures of the rooms looked nice and the price was reasonable. They also mentioned having a swim up bar. We'd have our sis & bro in law watch our daughter one day and evening so we thought this would be a fun vacation touch for us.

Upon check in only one of the 2 bedside lamps worked. The bathroom door looked like it'd been kicked in and poorly patched a couple times. We were on the top floor which made for a nice view and no neighbors above but right next to the elevators which was fairly noisy. There were a few large water stains in the dining room/living room extra room and some cracking plaster. There were dingy faded stains on the carpet in there and on the couch. There was also some random black crumbly looking stuff on the wall alongside the dining room table (old food maybe, I didn't get too close to investigate). I bought disinfecting wipes when we got groceries and wiped down the table and the backs and tops of the dining room chairs. The wipes were really gross afterward. There was a little balcony with some lightweight plastic furniture that had a nice view of the ocean. It mostly faced the hotel right across from us where unfortunately Karaoke was blaring until 11:30/12 most nights. This was off the room where we had our daughter & the bass and some music were easily audible. Thankfully she still slept fairly well.

The Wi-Fi access was a total joke. I work from home and have a great connection and use my wireless router all of the time w/no trouble. I've also used various wi-fi hotspots @ Panera, restaurants, other hotels, etc. w/o any issues. I had to work Wed. and started very early while my family slept so I could get it out of the way & still spend time w/them. I then got to spend an hour trying to get access. I had to register on some external site, create a login ID, verify it through an e-mail which was a pain to get into because of the crummy connection and it was a headache. Most places simply make you agree to their terms on an external site page when you first open a web browser and you're good to go. These extra steps were ridiculous. I followed them, got connected and had my various sites and tools up. Then the connection dropped. This costs me valuable time as I then have to log into everything I use for my job all over again. I called the IT support number on a card in the room, selected tech support option and got voice mail. I called the front desk & said I needed access and couldn't wait around for a callback whenever. She said they were supposed to be available 24 hrs a day, called them and got a hold of them. I spoke w/the IT guy who said the "Hotel Blue" wireless connection I was using wasn't really the one to use. 'Cause THAT makes sense. He said if I was on the side of the hotel where the bedrooms were I needed to use HotelBlue13. I searched and there was no such option available. He said that it must be down and he send a tech over to check it out. In the meantime, I could work in the other room in our site (on the other side of the hotel) and use HotelBlue14. This was the room where my daughter was sleeping and I would risk waking her up. I should just simply have access, there shouldn't be all of these hoops to jump through. She woke up before long, I used the other connection option and then his techs stopped an hr or so later to say the other connection (13) was back up and made sure I could access it.

Fri. morning I had a bit more work to finish up and again started bright & early. Surprise, surprise, HotelBlue13 was nowhere to be found. I called IT yet again simply to let them know it was down & they should send someone out again & was then going to sit on the balcony and use the other connection. The tech told me he was out in the field and couldn't check to see if it was really down or not, asked me to call back in a couple hrs to troubleshoot w/him. Told him I was just giving him a "heads up" and it's his job to then investigate. I wasn't going to be around in a couple hrs., I'd be spending time w/my family on the beach. I couldn't believe these guys. Called the front desk to speak w/a manager so he could know that his internet provider was not serving them well & was told the manager was out on the property. They took a message & said he'd call me back. I never got a callback.

Thurs. eve. there was a really intense thunderstorm with high winds and really heavy rain. When we checked in we notice there was a substantial, like 2-3 inch, gap under the door to our room. Daylight would come in early and I worried about bugs finding there way in. I didn't see any though, and figured all the doors were probably like that so it wasn't worth moving rooms. A sign of a poorly managed hotel, but not something they'd likely be able to do anything about at the moment. Then the storm hit. I had just helped my husband clean up my daughter after being out at the pool and came into the bedroom just in time to see water streaming into the room under the door. Our luggage and my laptop & bag were there in front of the A/C until and electric cords and the water was almost to it! Thankfully, I acted quickly grabbed nearby towels & was able to just shove them all along the bottom of the door. It held and we kept the door plugged like this the rest of our stay. The doors opened up onto an open walkway covered in outdoor carpeting. There was standing water all along this and I don't know if there were drains anywhere. Surely these would have helped. Also, my sis-in-law needed to dry our nephew's hair that afternoon. She turned on the one provided in the bathroom. She said it got red and started to smoke a bit. She immediately unplugged it. I tried looking it over and plugging it back in the next day and couldn't get it to turn on at all. Nice, really nice...sheesh.

The bed in our room and Murphy bed in the extra room were ok. Not great but ok. The housekeeping staff were very sweet & helpful. The kitchen had most of what we needed - dishes, utensils, fridge, stove w/oven, microwave, toaster, coffee pot. They had 2 pots and no skillet, lol. Made making breakfast interesting but my husband managed yummy scrambled eggs & bacon cooked in the bottom of a saucepan! Oh well. The swim-up bar was just that. The submerged bar stool seats were cool and my buddy & I enjoyed getting drinks just before the big storm I mentioned. Unfortunately, it closed at 4 each day as did the only food place in the hotel, a basic little poolside cafe w/hotdogs & chili cheese fries. There was a small pool area around the swim up bar that really just seemed like an extension of it. Then a good sized hot tub. The lazy river was medium sized and seemed ok. To their credit, 2 hotels over was Captain's Quarters w/more pools and a bowling alley we had access to. We didn't end up using it but I took a brief look and that seemed nice.

All in all, this just wasn't the hotel for us and we won't be going back. It seemed best to stay in North Myrtle Beach if you have a family anyhow. We stayed in a Quality Inn in N. Myrtle on Hwy 17 that was nice. It was right by Cherry Grove Beach which was also a great beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Richmond
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have stayed here twice and really love it. I have found great deals on fairly large rooms here. The pool area is great. The swim up bar is very cool. The location is great as well, across the street from the family kingdom. They also have a little cafe thats open during the day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kaniecki1
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I read several reviews on TripAdvisors AFTER my friends had already made reservations at Hotel Blue. The rooms and hotel are not as picture perfect as their website leads you to believe, but overall it was a nice experience. The room was very clean and we always had lots of clean towels. The balcony with oceanviews were also really nice. We did not have any problems with the staff, but never needed anything while we were there. Parking was also never an issue for us, but the garage is very tight if you're driving an SUV. We drove an Explorer and found that it was best to park on the ground floor because it was the "roomiest" of spaces.

If you plan on being active and dont care what the decor of the room looks like Hotel Blue is a great find. The decor is older and tropical (not a personal fav, but whatever...) But, we were always on the beach or at the pool (Which was really nice!) so decor wasn't a big deal. ALSO the pool's swim up bar was not open on the "swim up side" b/c there wasn't a lifeguard on duty (nor was there all week...) so I wouldn't bank on being able to swim up to the bar to order a drink. But, you can use the other side (non pool side) to order. No biggie. They have lots of beach chairs that were all in really good condition and extremely easy access to the beach. My boyfriend and I are planning on staying here again in October because it's such a good value.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My trip to Myrtle Beach in June was incredible. The rooms at Hotel Blue were really clean and the staff there was very helpful and courteous. I do plan on staying there again. My only complaint was you couldnt bring your coolers down to the pool and with two children, it was necessary. Overall experience was a thumbs up.
Can't beat the price!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
niota
Reviewed August 3, 2010

we loved our stay at hotel blue,everything was very clean,staff was very nice,the pool is the best around. A very relaxing place to stay

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple