“Where are these rude staff members??”

Tropical Seas Hotel
Ranked #113 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Owen Sound
“Where are these rude staff members??”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We spend two or three winter months at Tropical Seas Hotel, and have yet to find one of these "Rude staff members" that some people are talking about. Now..I have been there when a so called "guest" has been very rude to front desk staff,and can see where if I was behind that desk I might have been more than rude to the so called "Guest". When will people realize that the people behind the desk want to make your stay enjoyable, so that you visit again, because without guests they will not have a job. So..smarten up some of you complainers!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kinglimey
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Once again our "protector". Thanks for the comment. Looking forward to seeing you late January!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Bridgewater Corners, Vermont
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We've been staying the winter at Tropical Seas for 9 years. This winter will be our tenth year. All the staff are great. They treat us so good. They are all like family now. The front desk folks are always friendly and efficient. I would recommend the place to everybody I know.

Room Tip: We like the side balcony rooms. We can see the ocean and inland at the same time without leaving th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments! Your 2nd family will be awaiting your arrival in January!
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

After reading many reviews we decided we would take the plunge and give it a shot. We stayed over Labor Day weekend. Overall it was just an okay experience. Great service at the front desk. The hall ways and elevator were not very clean, there is only one elevator and it is very slow, we ended up taking the steps most of the time. Very old looking rooms, especially the bathroom, it had very low drop down ceilings with rust on them and the perimeter of the bathroom was not very clean. And I have never stayed in a room where the shampoo and hair dryer were not in all rooms (they are provided after request at front desk). Our in room kitchen was also very ran down and had rust and grime in it. Parking was not bad even with it being Labor Day weekend. The pool and hot tub were very nice even though the hot tub was very small. I was glad it had two outdoor shower spots. Very good location as far as the ocean and view. Definitely a good hour+ walk to the main boardwalk, but that's not terrible since you can walk on the beach) . I would suggest changing the light bulbs on all the balconies. Our balcony light was out and so were most of them (only counted 11 working balcony lights on the whole hotel). This makes the hotel appear dark and gloomy from the beach. I would stay here again if you fix the things I mentioned above. But until they are fixed I don't know if I can recommend this hotel. As I said before just an okay hotel. Nothing bad enough to say I will never ever stay there again. This review is not to bash Tropical Seas Hotel at all as we still had a great vacation. It is just to inform everyone of some of the things I was looking for when I was booking the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Hicksbb
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
It is very disappointing that your room was not as it should have been. I wish you had contacted a manager before leaving so we could have fixed the problems before you left. Please know that I have already addressed this with housekeeping and maintenance and are taking steps to prevent this from happening again. We appreciate you letting us know and hope in the future you will give us a second chance.
Westbury, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had an excellent time at the Tropical Seas Resort at Myrtle Beach South Carolina. We had an Oceanfront Efficency with two Double Beds, a full size kitchen, and an oceanfront balcony. Rooms were clean. Smelled real fresh. Beds very comfortable. In kitchen we had a full size new refrigerator, stove with oven, cooking utensils, including plates, cups, silverware, toaster, coffee maker, microwave oven. All of us were very comfortable and happy with our accomodations. The resort had two swimming pools, lounge chairs, right on the ocean, and about 10 minutes away from all the attractions, like family kingdom and the sky wheel. Lots of restaurants, mini golf courses, and beach wear stores in the area. Definitely would come back to myrtle beach, and stay at the Tropical Seas Resort. Staff was very accomodating.

Room Tip: Would suggest the oceanfront Efficency Rooms....You look right on to the ocean from your balcony. A...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank catherine s
We would like to thank you for staying with us and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My family and I have been staying at Tropical Seas for approximately 17 years! When we arrive, we are greeted with a welcome back hug! Robin, Ann and the rest of the staff are always very kind and helpful, If you ever have any problems or concerns, they are addressed immediately. You can not beat the ocean front location. There are 2 pools and a hot tub with a very large pool deck which is fabulous. (You can compare the hotels on either side of Tropical Seas. Their pool decks are very small and very crowded!) The hotel does need some updating (which I believe they are in the process of doing) but the rooms are always clean. We always stay in the 2 bedroom oceanfront efficiency which is very spacious. Mama Mia Pizzeria is an onsite carryout restaurant that has delicious food. I highly recommend Tropical Seas Hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PamelaMae63
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We enjoy seeing repeat guests year after year. You're like family to the staff at Tropical Seas. Thanks for being such a loyal guest of ours, we appreciate it!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I just returned home from a weekend stay at Tropical Seas (8/16-8/18). I was skeptical at first when I booked my room from the previous reviews but decided to book anyway. I arrived almost an hour early from check in time and asked if there was any way I could check in early. The staff was very friendly and told me as long as my room was ready which it was. Check in went smooth and parking was great! When we got to our room (807) lone behold it was very clean and I could actually smell cleaning supplies when I entered the room. We had an Oceanfront Efficiency room and it was ample enough space and the view was awesome!!! The beds were super comfortable. The staff at all times were super friendly and always willing to help!! I am glad I decided to book here and I am sure I will return again! Great Place!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I'm so glad you decided to stay with us and you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. We are open year round. Hope to see you in the future!
North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were very surprised at the size of our two bedroom suite. It is uncommon to find such a roomy area, at a price like this. The staff is super friendly, the location is just great and uncluttered, and we had great QUIET nights for sleeping, unlike other hotels we'd stayed at. The only reasons I did not give Tropical Seas a better score, is that the carpet needs to be steam cleaned (very much!), and the WIFI is just not reliable. Even with those two issues, the good outweighed the bad. I would certainly consider staying here again. I have paid similar prices and have stayed in tiny rooms where the doors were like cardboard. This place is not like that. My family and I enjoyed our visit.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with family, consider the two bedroom suite. Very roomy and comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
I apologize for the carpet not being clean. Tropical Seas has been so booked that its been hard to get into the rooms to do this task, but it will be done when things slow down a bit. I wasn't aware of the Wi-Fi problem, I will be contacting our computer tech on this. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to our repeat guests returning year after year and welcome you as well. Thanks for taking the time to inform others of your stay!