“Okay hotel with good location.”

Tropical Seas Hotel
Ranked #112 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Okay hotel with good location.”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

After reading many reviews we decided we would take the plunge and give it a shot. We stayed over Labor Day weekend. Overall it was just an okay experience. Great service at the front desk. The hall ways and elevator were not very clean, there is only one elevator and it is very slow, we ended up taking the steps most of the time. Very old looking rooms, especially the bathroom, it had very low drop down ceilings with rust on them and the perimeter of the bathroom was not very clean. And I have never stayed in a room where the shampoo and hair dryer were not in all rooms (they are provided after request at front desk). Our in room kitchen was also very ran down and had rust and grime in it. Parking was not bad even with it being Labor Day weekend. The pool and hot tub were very nice even though the hot tub was very small. I was glad it had two outdoor shower spots. Very good location as far as the ocean and view. Definitely a good hour+ walk to the main boardwalk, but that's not terrible since you can walk on the beach) . I would suggest changing the light bulbs on all the balconies. Our balcony light was out and so were most of them (only counted 11 working balcony lights on the whole hotel). This makes the hotel appear dark and gloomy from the beach. I would stay here again if you fix the things I mentioned above. But until they are fixed I don't know if I can recommend this hotel. As I said before just an okay hotel. Nothing bad enough to say I will never ever stay there again. This review is not to bash Tropical Seas Hotel at all as we still had a great vacation. It is just to inform everyone of some of the things I was looking for when I was booking the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Hicksbb
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
It is very disappointing that your room was not as it should have been. I wish you had contacted a manager before leaving so we could have fixed the problems before you left. Please know that I have already addressed this with housekeeping and maintenance and are taking steps to prevent this from happening again. We appreciate you letting us know and hope in the future you will give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Westbury, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We had an excellent time at the Tropical Seas Resort at Myrtle Beach South Carolina. We had an Oceanfront Efficency with two Double Beds, a full size kitchen, and an oceanfront balcony. Rooms were clean. Smelled real fresh. Beds very comfortable. In kitchen we had a full size new refrigerator, stove with oven, cooking utensils, including plates, cups, silverware, toaster, coffee maker, microwave oven. All of us were very comfortable and happy with our accomodations. The resort had two swimming pools, lounge chairs, right on the ocean, and about 10 minutes away from all the attractions, like family kingdom and the sky wheel. Lots of restaurants, mini golf courses, and beach wear stores in the area. Definitely would come back to myrtle beach, and stay at the Tropical Seas Resort. Staff was very accomodating.

Room Tip: Would suggest the oceanfront Efficency Rooms....You look right on to the ocean from your balcony. A...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank catherine s
We would like to thank you for staying with us and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My family and I have been staying at Tropical Seas for approximately 17 years! When we arrive, we are greeted with a welcome back hug! Robin, Ann and the rest of the staff are always very kind and helpful, If you ever have any problems or concerns, they are addressed immediately. You can not beat the ocean front location. There are 2 pools and a hot tub with a very large pool deck which is fabulous. (You can compare the hotels on either side of Tropical Seas. Their pool decks are very small and very crowded!) The hotel does need some updating (which I believe they are in the process of doing) but the rooms are always clean. We always stay in the 2 bedroom oceanfront efficiency which is very spacious. Mama Mia Pizzeria is an onsite carryout restaurant that has delicious food. I highly recommend Tropical Seas Hotel!

1 Thank PamelaMae63
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We enjoy seeing repeat guests year after year. You're like family to the staff at Tropical Seas. Thanks for being such a loyal guest of ours, we appreciate it!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I just returned home from a weekend stay at Tropical Seas (8/16-8/18). I was skeptical at first when I booked my room from the previous reviews but decided to book anyway. I arrived almost an hour early from check in time and asked if there was any way I could check in early. The staff was very friendly and told me as long as my room was ready which it was. Check in went smooth and parking was great! When we got to our room (807) lone behold it was very clean and I could actually smell cleaning supplies when I entered the room. We had an Oceanfront Efficiency room and it was ample enough space and the view was awesome!!! The beds were super comfortable. The staff at all times were super friendly and always willing to help!! I am glad I decided to book here and I am sure I will return again! Great Place!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I'm so glad you decided to stay with us and you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. We are open year round. Hope to see you in the future!
North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were very surprised at the size of our two bedroom suite. It is uncommon to find such a roomy area, at a price like this. The staff is super friendly, the location is just great and uncluttered, and we had great QUIET nights for sleeping, unlike other hotels we'd stayed at. The only reasons I did not give Tropical Seas a better score, is that the carpet needs to be steam cleaned (very much!), and the WIFI is just not reliable. Even with those two issues, the good outweighed the bad. I would certainly consider staying here again. I have paid similar prices and have stayed in tiny rooms where the doors were like cardboard. This place is not like that. My family and I enjoyed our visit.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with family, consider the two bedroom suite. Very roomy and comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
I apologize for the carpet not being clean. Tropical Seas has been so booked that its been hard to get into the rooms to do this task, but it will be done when things slow down a bit. I wasn't aware of the Wi-Fi problem, I will be contacting our computer tech on this. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to our repeat guests returning year after year and welcome you as well. Thanks for taking the time to inform others of your stay!
mt airy
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family stayed here from July 26-29, 2013. I have to say for the price it was great. We paid the same last year for a smaller room & shared balcony for 2 days(a different beach) than we did here. I was skeptical when we booked but overall we enjoyed it. The staff was friendly. If you need something all you have to do is ask. The rooms & pools were very clean( the cleanest shower I've ever seen at an older hotel). The beds are ok but need bigger pillows & thicker blankets. I never saw any bugs anywhere. I would definitely stay here again. BTW the pizza from Mama Mia's restaurant on the 2nd floor is really good & cheap!!

2 Thank christacp76
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
There are so many choices of lodging in the Myrtle Beach area and we are pleased you selected us! We loved having you here and are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you here again. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We weren't allowed to check in at 3pm because they were still "cleaning" the room. When finally allowed to go up we found it was a smoking room and smelled like an ashtray there was dirt all over the bathroom and the towel liked like they had been sitting in the bottom of the dumpster. The two ladies working behind the desk were arguing with each and did not care if the guests heard or not. Another guest went to open her door and the door knob just came off in her hand. The staff were very rude whenever approached by anyone about any problems which there was a line of people complaining. And don't worry if you don't stay there you can park there they don't care and will not tow even if you don't have a parking permit they will inconvinence the paying guest and tell them to park down the road. We left and drive back home. The better business bureau will hear about this. And Robin T. Don't waste your time with an empty apology as you have done on all the other reviews. It's obvious you do not value your customers. If you did 90 percent of your staff would be terminated.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ACC79
I am very familiar with your short stay with us. You were a walk-in and reserved the very last room we had available for 1 night because Tropical Seas was completely booked. You were told it was a smoking room. The line of people were all the other guests trying to check in while you were complaining about having to park across the street (not down the street). We have 2 lots for our guests you arrived late and our 1st lot was full. I have a wonderful staff here and when reviewing that evening my staff politely addressed your complaints. Customer service is always very important to us. Sorry we couldn't please you.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels