“You get what you pay for” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Tropical Seas Hotel
Ranked #114 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kingsport, Tennessee
“You get what you pay for”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I needed a plain hotel room for a cheap price to get us through two nights while we were in town for a wedding. We reserved a basic oceanfront room, with what was supposed to be 2 queen beds which were only full.. supposed to be a kitchenette which turned out to be a very old microwave and a mini fridge which was so old the door would barely open and the shelves inside were rusty. The two beds had brown stains on the boxsprings and the mattresses. At least the sheets were clean. The bathroom was ok. The shower worked, had hot water, the toilet flushed, the sink worked.. not much to say about it. The door to the balcony did not have a lock. Instead it had an old stick lock you had to remove each time. The luggage carts are old shopping carts from grocery stores.. no kidding!! Yes the staff was friendly (the one lady we ever talked to) but she doesn't make up for the way the room was. We have both stayed in Myrtle Beach several times throughout the years and had never stayed here.. We will never stay here again!

Room Tip: Interior rooms aren't worth the price.. go with an oceanfront room.. do not stay on the ground o...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whitney M
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I'm sorry if you misunderstood. The basic oceanfront room you reserved was a double. This room has 2 double beds and a small refrigerator. We don't have any rooms with queen beds. This room shouldn't have had a microwave in it. Only the efficiencies have them. I apologize for the lock on your balcony not working. Each sliding glass door has a lock and charlie bar to keep the balconies safe. Again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and hope you will give Tropical Seas another chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Tropical Seas from August 9 - 12 , I was skeptical about staying here after the bad reviews some folks left, but I decided to give them a try. The staff upon arrival Bobbie and Alysa were very nice, Alysa even printed out coupons for a local restaurant for me. The room was better then we thought it would be . Although this is an older hotel it had an oceanview, was clean , no bedbugs, we had use of the 3 pools next door at the Crown Reef and the ropical Seas also had 2 pools which were cleaned daily. The only con is they have only one elevator, no big deal though. The day mangers Stephanie and Jo were very nice and anything we needed was taken care of right away. one particular instance was one of the thunderstorms blem one of the balcony's light right of the wall and had broken glass everywhere, Maintenance came up right away and replaced the light fixture and cleaned up. I really enjoyed myself because The hotel sits on the south end which is less chaotic. Less drama less noise except for the airport nearby which was not a proble. I will be going basck next year. Don't believe some of the negative responses, I mean its not the Ritz Carlton but it is family friendly.

Room Tip: Higher up is always better and oceanfront view Kingsuite.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you. It's so nice to hear positive remarks about Tropical Seas. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Myrtle Beach.
Beckley, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Tropical Seas is an older hotel and in need of a makeover, but the staff are all very nice and courteous. Our room was clean and had NO BUGS! We had an ocean front room which we enjoyed. Though the hotel is close to the airport, none of that noise could be heard in the rooms. The pools were nice and it was great to have access to the additional pools at the Crown Reef next door. I didn't mind having an actual key to the room, it was actually easier to keep up with than a card. This is the best bargain we have found and we will probably return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always better in my book. Go for ocean front with this hotel you can actually aff...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the great comment. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff at Tropical Seas looks forward to our repeat guests year after year and would love to welcome you in that bunch!
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this hotel back in Feb but I was very nervous to stay here after reading the horrible reviews. We decided we would chance it since it was such a good price for an oceanfront double room suite w/kitchen and i am glad we didnt switch. We were very happy to discover that the reviews we had read were way over critical of this old hotel. Yes it is outdated, has keys, one elevator and hot hallways but how much time do you actually spend in the elevator and hallways? The room was clean. No bedbugs! It was cleaned daily and always stocked with fresh towels and garbage was always emptied. The door handle to the balcony was broken but we could still open and close it so it wasnt a big deal. My husband was up every morning looking out our balcony and every morning saw maintenance cleaning and testing the pH of the pools water. You get access to Crown Reefs pools and lazy river so we always walked over there but only because there were more pools and hot tubs there. The kitchen had dishes and utensils, a microwave, coffeemaker, oven and large fridge. All of which were clean. My moms only complaint was no counter in the kitchen. The beds were soft and the pillows were just right. the pizza place had great pizza and desserts. The staff was so nice and spoke to us every time we left the hotel and was very sweet to our young daughter. I would say don't let the bad reviews keep you from trying it. You would be missing out on a great hotel. Trust me there are far worse hotels out there. We would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Kristen K
Thanks for the great review. I wish you informed us immediately about the balcony door handle so we could fix it for you. I'm sorry for that but glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to our returning guests every year!
Michigan Center, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Where do I begin? When arriving at the hotel we saw a nice lobby with clean floors and newer furnishings. We were told there was only one vacancy in a smoking room. Find that must of been a lie since the sign at the front of the hotel continually said they had a vacancy and there were many empty balconies noted while we were at the pool. We were also told once we book our room for a week there were no refunds. The hallway to our room has moldy smelly carpeting which i would NOT walk bare feet on. The room smelled of sewer back up and we had to go shopping to buy some Frebreeze just to be able to deal with the smell. The pool looked in need of a chemical shocking (turning yellow to green) and the pool area was not cleaned on a daily basis. The hot tub was barely warm and the worst part of all...we could not sit out on our balcony because there were COCKROACHES!! would NEVER recommend anyone to stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask to see the room or at least see past the lobby before booking. If we had seen the room before bo...
1 Thank Michelle M
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding of the vacancy sign, we keep ours on until our sister property The Crown Reef is filled also. Our pools get cleaned every day by our maintenance staff. During the summer months our pools are checked more often due to the lotions and oils guests use that may make the water look cloudy. I apologize for the bugs on you balcony. We do get professionally treated every month for bugs. Although we try, sometimes its hard to control the bugs outside. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Salisbury, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'm afraid this hotel has fallen by the way side to it's sister hotel ( Crown Reef)
The rooms are in need of some upgrading ...had to make coffee and toast in the bathroom(no outlet in the kitchen)
Elevator broke,so everyone had to take the stairs 2 days. I understand things break,but staff not very helpful and no apologies at check out. Room did not get cleaned one day,had to call for towels and trash pickup.
Best thing was the two pools,pizza place and you could use Crown Reef pools too. We were looking for a new place to come to every year,still looking.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tamara H
I already addressed housekeeping with the issues on service. My staff was very busy helping many of our guests while our elevator was out. I'm sorry we weren't helpful to you. I'm glad you enjoyed the pools and Mama Mia's pizzeria.. If you change your mind and decide to think of us again, I would be happy to book your reservation for you personally. Thanks for taking the time to comment on our property.
Newport, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

The room didn't seem to be that bad at first. But the room was suppose to be for four people. But it only had 3 towels no wash clothes and no soap. We payed for an ocean front with a microwave so it wouldn't be so expensive to eat out. But the microwave was nasty and completely rusted over. Ther was no way it would be safe to cook food in. Then to put the icing on the cake my wife and myself have bad knees that is why we stayed at a hotel with a elevator. But it was broke right after we had our luggage in the room. So we had to fight the stairs the whole time we was there. Then when we checked out today we ask if the elevator was fixed yet so we didn't have to carry everything down the stairs. I was told by the staff it wouldn't hurt me to walk up and down the stairs. That it looked like both of us needed it. Then the staff had a laugh session. They are very RUDE and very un helpful. What bad it could be a very nice hotel with some work and new staff. Ruined my vacation. Thanks Tropical Seas!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Douglas W
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We thrive to provide the best customer service and accomodations. I apologize for your lack of towels, washcloths and soap not being in your room. After reviewing our records your reservation indicated an oceanfront double room with a small refrigerator only. I have checked with our maintenance dept. to see why a microwave was in that room type and had it immediately removal. I apologize for the elevator being down and any inconveniences this may have caused you during your stay.