“Rundown”

The Reef Myrtle Beach
Ranked #165 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 31, 2006

The room I stayed in (9th floor) was very rundown. Had to fix one of the beds before we could sleep on it and the sofa bed had a spring missing which meant you would be sleeping "down hill". THe staff, however, was very nice and the motel is ocean front, just don't let the word "resort" give you any expectations. The lobby is just about the only thing updated in the place.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank hvrbug
There are newer reviews for The Reef Myrtle Beach

Cleveland
Reviewed March 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Reef for 5 nights. We had arrived around midnight and found the attached parking deck to be full so after unloading we had to move the car about 2 blocks away to their overflow lot. While this may not be convenient to travelers with young children, we were fine w/ this (most hotels in Myrtle Beach which are in the same price range have an overflow lot that's a couple of blocks out.)

The room was fine, clean, comfortable, nice view. Again, it was what we expected for the price. The desk & housekeeping were very pleasant. The only issue we had was that the toilet wouldnt flush one night. We called the desk and they sent someone up to fix it w/in 15 minutes.

The outdoor pool area is very nice, the indoor pool area is not as nice as they make it out to be on the hotel's website, however it was still pleasant. The gameroom did look 'junky' however we really didnt care about whether the hotel even had a gameroom when we booked.

The location is great. Being on the southend of the strip it makes it easy to pull in and out of the hotel. Plus there is a 'Lymo' stop very close to the hotel ("Lymo" being the shuttle that goes up and down the strip and into town, broadway at the beach, etc).

Overall, we had a positive experience and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2003
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2006

My friend and I stayed at The Reef July 30 through Aug 6 2005. When we go to check in the lady at the desk was so nice. The lobby was clean and smelled just like the beach. It was awesome!! I read on someones review that they thought the rooms were small but the room we had was huge. We had 2 double beds, a kitchen, and a living room for only 2 people. It was very clean and we had an awesome view!! The parking situation was not the best, but I do not mind to park across the street. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I plan on staying here this summer.

2  Thank SweetNPink002
Berea, Ohio
Reviewed October 10, 2005

I stayed at The Reef in Myrtle Beach and overall had a wonderful time!! Our room was Oceanfront with a nice balcony and beautiful view!! The room was spacious....love the full kitchen so we can eat breakfast and lunch in our room, very convenient!! The rooms could use a little updating (tile floor old in the kitchen and bathrooms) and tub needs resurfaced or replaced but other than that everything was very nice. I found everyone I met (personnel) to be very friendly and helpful. I have recommended this to my friends and will be back in the future! Thanks to the Reef for a relaxing and nice summer vacation.

Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
OH
Reviewed August 22, 2005

We visited in the middle of August of 2005. The Room was absolutly NASTY. I don't believe the maids know how to use pledge and a cloth! But anyway, the bathroom was YUCKY! Soap scum covered everything! I would have felt more comfortable taking a shower in my clothes. Kitchen was quite small. But who wants to cook a meal on vacation anyway? Carpet was ICKY! Full of sand... but we were at the beach..... Oh parking, don't let me forget that... Only 86 parking spots for 130 rooms. My question is, where do you park when the lot is full? Oh and DO NOT PARK ON TOP NEAR THE LOBBY!!! Unless you wish to have a new scrape or dent added to your car/truck. The turns on the parking lot are HORRIBLE. And if you plan on going out in the evening, don't plan on getting a parking spot at this hotel. Like I said... there was not enough parking spaces. I probably will never stay here again. The only reason we did was because this was a last minute vacation and they were the only 1/2 way decent looking motel that had a room available.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Reviewed August 22, 2005

I stayed at "the reef" from august 19-22, 2005. Me and my friend drove from TN for a weekend at the beach. We heard that the hotel had good prices and a nice oceanfront hotel to stay in. So, we made reservations thinking we could trust in this persons good opinions about the place. The first thing we did not like when we arrived was the parking. There is not enough parking, and we had to park across the street. What really ticked us off is when we seen housekeeping parking in the garage during their work hours, and here we were walking across the street. Then, when we walked in, the whole place had an old smell. We got on the elevator, (which there is only two), and it was nasty and it stunk so, so bad. Well, we got to the room and it was clean, but the rooms are way too small. We did not stay in our hotel unless we were in bed or getting ready. The only thing that place had going for them was the nice ocean front. Also, please do something about the lobby, because it is not very attractive at all!! The game room is just not happening for the kids. There needs to be more things for the kids, not just two little things for them. Lets put it this way, put more in to your hotel and you will get more business. We just got home and we have decided when we go back on Labor Day weekend, it won't be at that hotel. That is all we did was try to find a better hotel for the next trip. Just try to put more time and effort in your hotel, or you will gradually lose your business.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 4, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Reef in mid March 2005. I had reserved a room from a very reputable booking company at a set price, but when we arrived at the Reef they would not honour that price. I had to call the booking company who in turn had to call the Reef. Finally after everything concerning the $$ was straightened out, we were shown to our room (2 room suite), 2 room suite my butt, it was a dark, dingy, smelly hole in the wall that they tried to pass off as a suite. The door wouldn't lock so we had to move furniture in front of it, there was no TP in the washroom and when I phoned down to the front desk to get some, they told me that I would have to come down and get it myself. I had booked this room for 3 nights but after the first awful night I went to front desk and demanded my money back. After a somewhat lengthy heated conversation they did indeed refund my money but I noticed on my bill that they charged me $1 for calling to the front desk.
I wouldn't stay at the Reef Resort again if my very life depended on it..

• Stayed: March 2005