“130 rooms and only 86 parking spots!”

The Reef Myrtle Beach
Ranked #165 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
OH
Reviewed August 22, 2005

We visited in the middle of August of 2005. The Room was absolutly NASTY. I don't believe the maids know how to use pledge and a cloth! But anyway, the bathroom was YUCKY! Soap scum covered everything! I would have felt more comfortable taking a shower in my clothes. Kitchen was quite small. But who wants to cook a meal on vacation anyway? Carpet was ICKY! Full of sand... but we were at the beach..... Oh parking, don't let me forget that... Only 86 parking spots for 130 rooms. My question is, where do you park when the lot is full? Oh and DO NOT PARK ON TOP NEAR THE LOBBY!!! Unless you wish to have a new scrape or dent added to your car/truck. The turns on the parking lot are HORRIBLE. And if you plan on going out in the evening, don't plan on getting a parking spot at this hotel. Like I said... there was not enough parking spaces. I probably will never stay here again. The only reason we did was because this was a last minute vacation and they were the only 1/2 way decent looking motel that had a room available.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Reviewed August 22, 2005

I stayed at "the reef" from august 19-22, 2005. Me and my friend drove from TN for a weekend at the beach. We heard that the hotel had good prices and a nice oceanfront hotel to stay in. So, we made reservations thinking we could trust in this persons good opinions about the place. The first thing we did not like when we arrived was the parking. There is not enough parking, and we had to park across the street. What really ticked us off is when we seen housekeeping parking in the garage during their work hours, and here we were walking across the street. Then, when we walked in, the whole place had an old smell. We got on the elevator, (which there is only two), and it was nasty and it stunk so, so bad. Well, we got to the room and it was clean, but the rooms are way too small. We did not stay in our hotel unless we were in bed or getting ready. The only thing that place had going for them was the nice ocean front. Also, please do something about the lobby, because it is not very attractive at all!! The game room is just not happening for the kids. There needs to be more things for the kids, not just two little things for them. Lets put it this way, put more in to your hotel and you will get more business. We just got home and we have decided when we go back on Labor Day weekend, it won't be at that hotel. That is all we did was try to find a better hotel for the next trip. Just try to put more time and effort in your hotel, or you will gradually lose your business.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 4, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Reef in mid March 2005. I had reserved a room from a very reputable booking company at a set price, but when we arrived at the Reef they would not honour that price. I had to call the booking company who in turn had to call the Reef. Finally after everything concerning the $$ was straightened out, we were shown to our room (2 room suite), 2 room suite my butt, it was a dark, dingy, smelly hole in the wall that they tried to pass off as a suite. The door wouldn't lock so we had to move furniture in front of it, there was no TP in the washroom and when I phoned down to the front desk to get some, they told me that I would have to come down and get it myself. I had booked this room for 3 nights but after the first awful night I went to front desk and demanded my money back. After a somewhat lengthy heated conversation they did indeed refund my money but I noticed on my bill that they charged me $1 for calling to the front desk.
I wouldn't stay at the Reef Resort again if my very life depended on it..

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank Sissamia
Reviewed July 31, 2005

After reveiewing the other reviews about the reef before going on my trip, I was almost terrified to arrive and the hotel only expecting the worst! However being on an already set buget the reef's prices fit perfectly. Myself and a group of about 20 others stayed there for a week and everything was GREAT! The reef has great prices, great staff, and very clean! Honestly, the only negative aspects of the reef were that it only had two elevators and that the maids came TOO early (considering we went to bed at about 6 a.m. daily). The reef is a great place to stay and I recommend it for students and families.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank sminor
Reviewed July 27, 2005

We just returned from the reef yesterday. I will list the positives first.

Two bedroom suite only $100.00 a night ( we are used to Va Beach and this is unheard of) thru expedia
I asked for a renovated room, and it was very clean. Yes the bedrooms are small, but it was enough room for my family.
The ocean water was incredible...warmer and cleaner than Va Beach. The waves were awesome.
There was always plenty of room at the pools and hot-tubs.
The staff was friendly and the daily maid service was fine.

Negatives:
Other than the lobby, the place is due for a make-over.
The lazy river is gone, and the game room had only three games and a ball machine.
Although our room was clean, the elevators and hallways had a terrible smell. Someone said some kids were letting off stink bombs.
There is construction on both sides. AND they start and 7 am!(but on a side note since there are no hotels on either side of the reef, you get alot more room on the beach, very un-crowded.
Parking is limited at the hotel, and sometimes you have to park across the street, this I hated.
There was too much obvious drinking, even though signs state you cant have alcohol outside of your room.
The kids playground should just be taken down, but the shuffleboard was fun.

Overall this is a blue-collar hotel. It seems to cater to people who want to stay on the oceanfront and dont want to or can't spend an arm and a leg. And there is nothing wrong with that. If you think that is a politically incorrect statement, you probably would feel out of place.

With both positives and negatives, we enjoyed our vacation thoroughly.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank JulWPHOTOandDESIGNS
Rockwell, North Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Very long check in lines. Our room was not ready until 4:oo. The rooms were not clean. Stove top was greasy, stove burners smoked so bad the smoke alarms went off. Kitchen floor was dirty as was the bathroom floor. Frige. was rusty on the outside and broken door shelves on inside. Both of the AC units were falling apart, the one on the balcony had the cover missing and there was a pile of flaky rusty stuff under it. This used to be a nice family place with a nice, friendly staff. This year we shared the eighth floor with under age drinkers who slept all day and partied all night. The elevators are much slower than they were in the past and in use much of the day by cleaning staff. Our room did have new carpet, drapes and bedspreads...the furniture is old and rundown. The only plus the Reef has left is the large pool, it was not kept clean though. Maybe management needs to hire more maids so they have more time to do a better job, or maybe the management just needs to manage the ones they have. OR maybe the Reef owners need to manage the management! We are going back to MB in Aug. No, we won't be staying at the Reef.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Terre Haute,Indiana
Reviewed July 23, 2005

I stayed at the Reef hotel from Monday June 11 until the following Saturday. The only thing good that the hotel really had going for them was the view of the ocean from the balconies.The pools were fine during the day but after a certain time if night after the underage drinkers came downstairs it became almost impossible to swim because they would take over the entire downsatrs and the elevator. There was definitely a very underage pary going on in the Pent house and they would even apear at the pool drinking beer and obviuosly high and drunk. One night one of these kids fell down on the ground and they were vomiting in the outside pool. THe managment simply said that the security would be down soon.Nothing more was done about it. The elevator was extrelmly slow. there was only one elevator for 13 floors. you were lucky to get an elevator within 15 minutes. Just about every time I got on from the 4th floor I had to ride all the way up to the top floor and back down.Sometimes my floor even got skipped even though i pushed 4.When the elevator stopped it was sudden and made you lose balance or feel very sick.The staff outside of the desk clerk was friendly but the desk clerk was very rude and seemed not to know what she was doing.Several people was complain about the hotel while riding the elevator.Several people asked for their money back. While in the inside pool if you lay in the deep end then look up you can see everyone waiting for the elevator,sometimes 10-15 people and most of them wearing skirts or bikinis so a pedophile or --- offender could easily pick prey especially young children,as they are usually unattended. Also the doors to to the balcony were very hard to open usually taking all my strength to get it open,hopening I would never have to get out in an emergency. I do not recommend this hotel. Stay away and spend your money on something better. It's not worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2005