“dont put down the reef”

The Reef Myrtle Beach
Ranked #164 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
knoxville tn
Reviewed May 13, 2005

me and my wife stayed at the reef about 20 times in the last 6 months the service is excellent and the rates are great .the reef is the best hotel in myrtle beach

• Stayed: January 2004

Brewster, NY
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We didn't believe the reviews we read before booking for April for 7 days, and we learned very quickly most of the bad reviews were right. Our room was on the 4th floor(non-smoking) & it was dirty:carpeting left our socks black , tile floors were dirty & sticky with unidentifiable stains, tub had 1/2 inch of mildew & mold on caulking, toilet had dried urine & what looked like pubic hair around the bottom of the bowl and hinges, and an overall smell that was not pleasant. I went to front desk and asked to have the bathroom cleaned. Their answer was to change rooms. Second one wasn't much better-didn't have any mold,though. Housekeeping is horrendous there. The people at the desk were useless for any of our questions. The indoor pool had an overdose of chlorine (never saw anyone cleaning it). The door leading to the street level parking was propped open with a sock by the party revelers. Great security!! I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.I'm still reeling from the bathroom in either room--NEVER have I seen one that dirty!

• Stayed: April 2005
Clifton Park, NY
Reviewed April 24, 2005

This was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in my life and I have traveled alot. My friends and I were ripped off...for 120$ a night we thought we were getting a 2 bedroom suite at an amazing hotel. The room was soooo small, way worse then depicted. The bell hop cart which carried our luggage couldnt even fit through the halls. The rooms were so small there was about a foot around each bed and we were expecting a 2 bedroom suite. I mean I am about 5 foot 7 inches and when i lyed across the room i could touch each wall it was pathetic. As we got there the hotel was disgusting...our room was gross... there was cheese in our refridgerator and our dresser drawers, it was gross. All the water from the faucets first came out brown and yellow...half of the things in the room including the lights, microwave, toaster, etc. were broken. They didnt even have normal hotel accessories. There was no paper no pens no alarm clocks, no toiletries in the bathroom. The hotel even lied to us. The flyer showed only a penthouse room for a picture and a picture of a bed so we were totally fooled. They said they had a lazy river little water park... no such thing existed..talk about false advertising. The next horrible thing was the service...even if we overlooked all the previous mentioned things the service was horrible...when we got to the hotel we complained and told them what was wrong with it so we wouldnt get screwed...they were sooooo rude to us everytimecalled the desk with a question or problem they couldnt give me the answer...the managers would always just act annoyed with us and say they didnt know to everything we asked. It was truly the worst experience. It was such a sketch ball place to stay. To make matters worse we were harrased by the maid everyday because we put a privacy sign up ( the maids couldnt even clean the room when we checked in so why would we let them in, not to mention we had a lot of cash lying around) they hotel was rude and wouldn not respect our request for privacy. Each day the maid yelled at us and said we had to let her in or we would not recieve our room deposit back. The whole trip was spent fighting with the hotel while everything broke. During our 8 day stay we went grocery shopping and bought about 150 dollars worth of food and right after our refridgerator broke which was a huge inconvience because we were going to lose our food the hotel didnt care and was very rude to us when we called. Basically this was the worst experience and hotel I have ever stayed at. I was tricked by the advertising that this was a resort which was why we were willing to pay 120$ a night when I could have easily stayed at a days inn or holiday inn ( which i saw while in myrtle) and that was paradise compared to our hotel and much cheaper. After we booked this hotel we looked at reviews on this site and I ingorned them and thought ohh they couldnt be that bad...DONT INGORNE THE REVIEWS THIS IS THE WORST PLACE EVER...

Lincolnton, NC
Reviewed November 27, 2004

The Reef is a terrible hotel to stay at. I do not recommend it! We stayed there for a week and throughout our whole stay both of the elevators did not work! We were on the seventh floor and had to take the stairs everytime we wanted to go somewhere which was alot!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
wothing,england
Reviewed October 16, 2004

earlier this year i went with my cheerleading squad to america to compete in canam it was the first time i had been to America and it was the best so much better than anywhere else like Spain,Italy,Greece when you go on these foreign holidays my only dream now which with any luck will be for filled is to be a resident in the beautiful myrtle beach, south carolina the hotel was brilliant and the staff there were kind polite and overall well presented i was sad to leave but even though that was my first time in america it certinly will not be the last!!! by the way if u look on the web on www.cheerleading.org and the first group i am the 1 on the far left in the air!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lawrenceville, GA
Reviewed October 10, 2004

My family stayed at this awful hotel October 8-10 2004. The internet pictures and brochure looked like they were taken when the place first opened. By looking at the condition of the furniture it had to be at least 20 years ago. We arrived late Friday night and checked into room 1002. The furniture was old and pealing, the loveseat had several holes and the stuffing coming out of it. There were several stains and burn marks on the carpet. I have a four year old and a 8month old who is crawling. I could not let them crawl or sit on the floor for that matter. The room smelled terrible and the kicker were the roaches that were crawling around in the kitchen and bathroom. Unfortunately, we did not notice this until we unloaded everything. We packed everything back up and went back down to the lobby and they were able to put us in another room which was on the penthouse level. It was nicer but nothing like how I thought a penthouse would be. It looked like what their standard rooms should look and smell like. The only problem was we could only stay in that room for the night because someone else had it booked for the next day. So we had to move everything the following day from the penthouse to a third room, room 902. This room also smelled and the furniture was old and battered. I did not see any bugs during the day but we bought some air freshner and bug spray just in case we saw some later that night. I'm glad we did because we saw more roaches later on that night. There weren't as many as the first room they gave us but there shouldnt be any. After spraying we did not see anymore that night but my husband and I kept waking up throughout the night checking on the children to make sure that roaches weren't crawling on them. The tub in the bathroom was clogged and one of the sink faucets did not work. There also werent any clocks in any of the rooms except for the penthouse. No alarm clocks or microwave clocks or oven clocks. I spent most of the weekend not knowing what time it was because neither me nor my husband wears a watch. I will never come back to this hotel nor will I advise any one else to visit this dreadful place.

Reviewed August 29, 2004

The brochure of the Reef Resort is very misleading. The staff was not at all helpful. I was not able to get my deposit back and had to stay. My "suite" was horrible! I had to go to the store and buy disinfectant just to be able to tolerate the smell of the room. The balconies were not at all private.....they were all recessed so you could actually see all the people on their balconies on your floor and the floor below. The parking was not at all acceptable. The bottom parking area was not well lit. The elevators were slow and they would come to SUDDEN stops that you almost would loose your balance. Also the elevators had a horrible smell. You could smell trash from the trash cans all over. All in all it was a horrible, horrible experience and I will never return to the Reef.

2  Thank Shellyfamily