“great value”

Ranked #152 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Hickory, North Carolina, United States
“great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

although this is an older hotel, it was very clean. the staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to help` with all of our request. the view is beautiful.the pool was warm inside and an easy walk to the beach. ocean front. extremely low cost. located close to family kingdom amusement park and minutes away from Broadway at the beach.

Room Tip: `we were in the two bedroom suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy C
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Cindy C,
We appreciated you staying at the Reef. Thank you for noting our close proximity to the Family Kingdom Amusement Park and Broadway at the Beach. Our location is really ideal to many of the popular destinations. Hope to see you soon. Come of down and celebrate the holidays with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
norton, oh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have been going to Myrtle Beach for 20 years and The Reef is the best value. Rooms are clean, the staff is friendly and the view is spectacular. All rooms are ocean front with private balcony. The front desk people are always such a big help with any questions that you have. I would recommend this place without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank James D
Hi James D,
We were delighted to welcome you back to Myrtle Beach, and thank you for writing a review of your experience at the Reef. Thank you for mentioning that every room has a full oceanfront view. We will look forward to seeing you again soon.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a great experience at The Reef. Our room was clean with a beautiful view of the ocean. All rooms are oceanfront and the price is very reasonable for the accommodations. The staff was very friendly. William, John, and Nikki answered all questions regarding the resort and the Myrtle Beach area. The pools were clean both inside and out, as were the hot tubs. Maid service was on time every morning to empty trash and provide clean towels. The balcony overlooking the ocean was quiet and provided a great view both day and night. My son stated that this was one of the most relaxing vacations that he had ever had and we all agreed. There are some property improvements that I can see are being worked on, but if you want to stay at the Four Seasons, then pay the price. As far as my family goes, we had a great time and are returning to The Reef for Christmas break. I know that you'll read mixed reviews after this one, but some people are too busy being critical instead of just having fun. The elevators worked fine, who cares about clocks when you're on vacation, and kudos to the staff for a great experience! See you guys in December!

J.H. - Greenville, SC

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jay H
Dear Jay H,
Thanks so much for staying at the Reef. We are so glad that your vacation was restful and hope that you left the beach restored. Thank you for mentioning that the hotel is not new, nor is it comparable to a Four Season. The Reef would not meet the expectation of a guest looking for the Four Season experience. It was so gratifying that you mentioned our wonderful team members. Christmas is just around the corner, so we'll see you soon.
Clarkesville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was very pleased with this hotel....yes it is outdated and showing some wear and tear, but if you want an affordable room with great amenities and friendly staff, then this is the place for you. I really have nothing negative to say....if I had to say anything bad at all, it would be that the shower could have a little more pressure, but I am spoiled because my shower at home is awesome. I will stay here again, and definitely recommend to others!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trinybug
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Trinybug,
Thank you for booking your oceanfront Myrtle Beach vacation with the Reef. We appreciated your business and also your time to write a review. Your pictures were great and really show a great panoramic of the beach! We hope to see you soon.
Lincolnton, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I checked in on 8/15 I paid and every thing about 3pm I ask the guy a young chubby guy is it non smoking he said no. I said well I need a nonsmoking room he said shure he would get a room cleaned out just unload your stuff and have a seat. I waited about 30 min he never said nothing so I went up ask the other guy is my room ready there supposed to change my room he looked at me like I was dumb or something he said who told u that I said that guy over there. He said we can't do that so the guy said go check out the room he got smart and said oh most people cant even tell it if a smoker has been it. with money tied up not able to change rooms I was stuck with it. Never able to get towles they pick them up and don't drop off towles the front desk would not even give bath towles with 5 people 2 wich being to teenage girls I needed clean towles. The elevator was junk once it broke a man had bad heart they had to pry it open several times I waited forever had to just go down the stairs. WILL NOT BE BACK!!!!!

3 Thank Brandon G
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef at South Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Brandon G,
We regret that you were disappointed in your accommodations. The entire staff of the Reef strives to provide excellent guest service, and we are sorry that we didn't achieve this. Our elevators are not old, and were replaced within the last 4 years. We carefully monitor elevator issues and the service is provided by a Thyssen Krupp. Again, we regret that our hotel was not suitable for your stay, but do hope that you will return to the beautiful Myrtle beach area again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I loved the Reef and my family did too. The staff (front desk, maids, etc.) was friendly and the price was right. I was spoiled by the oceanfront view. No complaints. Close to everything. We are already planning our trip for next year and this place is at the top of the list. May consider the penthouse. We meant to get info on the rates, but we forgot.

Room Tip: Higher floors-less noise. Only draw back is waiting for the elevator.
1 Thank beachmama6757
Dear Beachmama6757,
Thank you for staying at the Reef and for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that the staff exceeded your expectations, and appreciated you mentioning that there are full ocean views from every room. Fall rates go on sale after Labor Day. Hope to see you soon!
AUGUSTA GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the price and available amenities for an ocean front room in Myrtle Beach. Allow me to say that I DID NOT expect this to be a 5 star resort and was totally prepared for outdated furniture, slow elevators, and everything else an older beach hotel might offer. I have been to Myrtle Beach too many times to count and have stayed at MANY hotels...some great and some not so great. I KNOW about older hotels and was not in anyway going blindly into this one. I read maybe 100 reviews here on TripAdvisor about this hotel prior to booking. I knew I was taking a risk, and I was just crossing my fingers and hoping the positive outweighed the negative. It didn't.

Please remember this review is based on MY experience with this hotel- it is MY opinion of MY experience.

First, the positives. The price was very good for the type of room we got. Unbeatable really. I looked for several days and this was the best price I could find anywhere. I booked directly through the hotel's website. Not sure if I just hit it on the right day or what, but the price went up significantly the day after I made the reservation. The staff was also very nice and accommodating- if not brow beaten. I could tell they were used to be scolded and hassled by the guests. I told one of the employees "thank you for being so nice" and she responded with..."its hard sometimes to be nice when you always have to be ready for people coming at you." I know working in customer service is difficult, but this hotel has so many issues that its almost not fair (if not impossible) for the employees to have to defend it to the guests. I know I could not...so kudos to those people who work here...you earn your paycheck! I can't think of anything else positive, so I will move on to the negatives.

The parking garage is very small and will not hold many vehicles. It is so small I almost could not maneuver my small SUV around in it. It fills up quickly, and the overflow parking is ACROSS THE STREET AND DOWN A BLOCK. This requires crossing a side road and the main road to get back to the hotel. Not great if there is a lot of traffic or if you have small children. The hotel has a restaurant attached to it, I believe it is independently owned, but nonetheless, it is still housed within the hotel and is an offered amenity. We ate pizza at Makos the first night and sandwiches from there the last day for lunch. The food is fresh and is OK. I would suggest calling and getting it to go though. It does not have comfortable tables or a dine in friendly atmosphere in my opinion. Ok, back to the hotel. I was able to get past the shabby furniture, old tv sets (with few channels and poor reception), and cosmetic damage in the bathrooms, carpet, etc.-However, I could NOT get past the abundance...and I do mean an ABUNDANCE of smoke and strong odors in our room and throughout the building. We had a non-smoking room. That is truly a misnomer in this hotel. There is no such thing. The vent in our bathroom pipped smoke into our room daily from another rooms bathroom. We could not sit on the balcony for smoke blowing in our faces from adjoining balconies. We could not sit by the pool for the smoke. We could not sit on the beach for the smoke! There was NO WHERE you could go to escape the smoke! I would say if you are a smoker, you may enjoy this hotel. It is definitely smoke friendly. Our room reeked of old smoke and a musty, mold smell the entire time. The room had an overall dirty feel to it and was just not what most people would find relaxing and comfortable. The air conditioners were cold, but blew out a stench smell as well. The refrigerator never really got cold and smelled like one that had been closed up and unplugged for a long time.

If the things I mentioned above don't bother you, and you are on a budget...this might be a great place for you to stay. I will never stay here again. It was not worth the money I saved to have had such a negative experience. I would have preferred to stay home than to vacation here. We did not leave the hotel in search of another room because we just didn't have any more money to spend on a better place. We budgeted our vacation around this hotel, took a gamble and lost.

Let me also say that at no time did we complain to management about our issues. What would be the point? The place is what it is. There is truly nothing tje manager could have done to make things better for us. Poor guy. This hotel needs to be updated and some of the money it makes needs to be spent on improvements before it ends up being torn down due to being dilapidated. I'm sure in its day it was a beautiful place, and could be again if someone cared about it enough to fix it.

1 Thank HATINAUGUSTA
Dear HatinAugusta,
Thank you for being a guest of The Reef Myrtle Beach. We regret that you were disappointed in your stay. The Reef isn't the right fit for every guest. As we have noted throughout TripAdvisor, the hotel is not a new property, and does not offer the amenities that new oceanfront properties have available. We appreciated you noting that the rates were on value for an oceanfront location. Maintenance and renovations are always an ongoing process and improvements are constantly being made. Again, we are sorry that you were disappointed in the accommodations.