My friends and I recently visited the reef, 8/6-8/11, and booked a 2 bedroom "suite".
First, when I arrived I was told that my room was not ready because I was there around noon and check-in was at 3. But lucky me the head of cleaning just cleared my room for check-in as I arrived, so started off on a good note! Now my brother and I have stayed at more expensive luxury hotels (The Breakers and the Anderson) so we went in having low expectations.
We received a room at the end of the hall on the 6th floor which was perfect. The first thing anyone notices about this place(and all agree with) is the speed of the elevators. They are pretty slow but still work. The room did smell very funny. Must have been mold mixed with beach residue, or what have you, in the carpet. Bedrooms were pretty small but you don't spend time in there anyways. Kitchen had the essentials. Everything is very dated, small, and uncomfortable, but so be it. The showers are a pain in the butt, the pressure is non-existent and the heads are much too low, and i'm not even 6 feet tall.
Now onto the good....the balcony and the view are seriously perfect! The balcony fits 4 people and chairs easily and has an unobstructed ocean front view! All of their rooms do!
This hotel's pool was by far the largest I have seen at any beach hotel. Its indoor/outdoor with 2 hot tubs and tons of seating. Never had a problem getting a seat and didn't have to "save seats". The DJ is there weather permitting and he plays your usual dance music and stuff, it makes the environment fun and really amps of the vacation feeling.
We did not eat at the restaurant, Mako's, connected to the hotel...but we for sure drank there. They have 20$ fishbowls(10$ for refills) that will really get the party going. I recommend The Big Orange, tastes just like a melted dreamsicle. The only thing is make sure you get Mal or Kasey as your bartender..do not order from Katie. She is mean and will not talk with you or make your drink properly. One annoying problem with this restaurant/hotel connection is that since the restaurant isn't affiliated with the hotel, they cannot charge things to your room. Therefore, you need your wallet and ID on you if you want to order drinks. Just a bit irritating but oh well.
Didn't have problems with parking. Only once did we have to park in the extra lot across the street.
Overall we had an amazing vacation. We probably wouldn't come back to this hotel simply because there are other hotels we haven't stayed at yet and want to try.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All our suites are oceanfront with a private balcony. Our comfortable well-equipped rooms have kitchens with microwaves, coffee makers and toasters. Our prime location along the grand strand of Myrtle Beach makes area attractions easily accessible. Award winning entertainment and dining surround you. You can shop at the nearby Coastal Grand Mall and newly built Market Commons. Amusement parks and incredible miniature golf courses thrill the young and the young at heart. It's easy to experience all the fun of Myrtle Beach while staying at The Reef. We also sell tickets to many area shows and attractions, packaging is also available! Oceanfront or indoors, The Reef provides a lot of water fun for everyone. Swim from our oceanfront pool to our indoor swimming area. There you will also want to indulge in one our two relaxing whirlpools. There are 1o swim attractions available to you, including a lazy river and large ocean front kiddie pools! Children will enjoy free daily activities during the summer months and their parents will appreciate a night out while the children are entertained by The Reef staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The Reef Myrtle Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reef At South Beach Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Reef At South Beach Myrtle