“Excellent view but needs some work”

The Reef Myrtle Beach
Ranked #165 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My friends and I recently visited the reef, 8/6-8/11, and booked a 2 bedroom "suite".

First, when I arrived I was told that my room was not ready because I was there around noon and check-in was at 3. But lucky me the head of cleaning just cleared my room for check-in as I arrived, so started off on a good note! Now my brother and I have stayed at more expensive luxury hotels (The Breakers and the Anderson) so we went in having low expectations.

We received a room at the end of the hall on the 6th floor which was perfect. The first thing anyone notices about this place(and all agree with) is the speed of the elevators. They are pretty slow but still work. The room did smell very funny. Must have been mold mixed with beach residue, or what have you, in the carpet. Bedrooms were pretty small but you don't spend time in there anyways. Kitchen had the essentials. Everything is very dated, small, and uncomfortable, but so be it. The showers are a pain in the butt, the pressure is non-existent and the heads are much too low, and i'm not even 6 feet tall.

Now onto the good....the balcony and the view are seriously perfect! The balcony fits 4 people and chairs easily and has an unobstructed ocean front view! All of their rooms do!
This hotel's pool was by far the largest I have seen at any beach hotel. Its indoor/outdoor with 2 hot tubs and tons of seating. Never had a problem getting a seat and didn't have to "save seats". The DJ is there weather permitting and he plays your usual dance music and stuff, it makes the environment fun and really amps of the vacation feeling.

We did not eat at the restaurant, Mako's, connected to the hotel...but we for sure drank there. They have 20$ fishbowls(10$ for refills) that will really get the party going. I recommend The Big Orange, tastes just like a melted dreamsicle. The only thing is make sure you get Mal or Kasey as your bartender..do not order from Katie. She is mean and will not talk with you or make your drink properly. One annoying problem with this restaurant/hotel connection is that since the restaurant isn't affiliated with the hotel, they cannot charge things to your room. Therefore, you need your wallet and ID on you if you want to order drinks. Just a bit irritating but oh well.

Didn't have problems with parking. Only once did we have to park in the extra lot across the street.

Overall we had an amazing vacation. We probably wouldn't come back to this hotel simply because there are other hotels we haven't stayed at yet and want to try.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fuertea
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Fuertea,
Thank you for staying at the Reef and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciated you noting that every room is oceanfront and that the balconies comfortably seat 4 people. The Reef does offer an oversized oceanfront pool. We are not the newest oceanfront hotel, nor do we claim to be. We appreciated your business and hope that you will visit Myrtle Beach again soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

The reef is not what you would expect, tiny rooms dirty, mold I would not let a dog sleep there. I will never step foot in that place even if it was for free,parking is horrible the elevators are slow and the place is very outdated. There are other places in MB that are cheaper and alot better. Beware!

8  Thank dlupino
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Dear Dlupino,
In keeping with Trip Advisor guidelines of keeping posts and responses revelant, professional and courteous, I am unsure of how to address your comments. We regret that you are disgruntled, and recognize that every traveler has a free choice of where they choose to stay.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Thank you Reef Hotel for your kind service and accomodations extended to us . The management staff-maintenance-front desk and everybody were so friendly. It was a great location and we loved it! Our room was very neat and clean and we will gladly stay again.
Thank You again!!

Pam A. Lane
NC

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PALane
Reef2101, Manager at The Reef Myrtle Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear PA Lane,
Thank you for staying at the Reef, and for taking the time to post a review. We hope that you and your family made many good memories at the beach and that you will return soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Year after year myself and family have stayed at the Reef Resort and each year is just as good as the first. The management, staff, front desk, housekeeping, maintenance, and security all go beyond their job descriptions. Everyone at the hotel is always very very friendly and makes sure that we are happy with our stay. The rooms are very large and clean, and the view from the balcony is spectacular! The pools and hot tubs are clean and well maintained, and there are pool towels for the convience of guests. The DJ is out by the pool everyday from 1pm-5pm. with games and contests for children and adults, and there is also karoke.The hotels restaurant Makos is awesome. We ate there several times during our week long vacation and it is absolutely delicious. Thanks to the manager Aaron,and the many others for making our vacation wonderful each and every year. Cant wait till our next vacation at The Reef!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank karen w

Dear Karen W.,
Thank you for posting a review and for returning to the Reef. We appreciated you recognizing the staff's efforts and we hope you can return soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

First, the beach and the hotel's location to the beach was great. There is also 2 little mini marts across from the hotel, which can be helpful. But if you want to go to the boardwalk or Broadway at the beach, you will have to drive there.
Second, front desk customer service was great. I had no problems with them, and in fact they were quite helpful and friendly, while there and before we got there when I called to ask them for help with booking a room for my Mom and Step dad and asking other general questions.
Third, the rooms were nice in that there was plenty of room, you had your own balcony and there was a kitchenette. BUT I don't feel that they were kept clean like they should have been. I often thought to myself, "I wonder when the carpet was last cleaned". Our beds weren't the best either. My nieces found all kinds of goodies under the beds, football, old towel and a stuffed animal. The second day we were there, we didn't even get clean towels or washcloths (we only stayed 3 nights). They also tell you not to take towels to the pool because they provide them, but there aren't any by the pool area, you have to ask at the lobby and if you don't want to wait for the elevators you aren't going to stop there. The bathroom in the arcade area, also one closest to pool, was disgusting the first night we got there. I went to the lobby to notify them and they said that they didn't have any cleaning people working but that they would tell them first thing in the morning. My mom's room LOOKED much cleaner than ours and the beds were much nicer BUT they had some roaches visit. I'm assuming because it's on the ground floor and we were on the 8th floor that we didn't have problems in my room. We used to live in Florida, so we know a roach or two might get in, but it's still unnerving to find one or two daily inside your room.
We thought about leaving the hotel the first night, but unless you want to pay $400 a night, there isn't really too many other places with great reviews in Myrtle Beach that you can find online. If we would go there again, which we probably won't, I think we would try one of the small "family owned" motels. Their signs advertised much cheaper prices and they looked like they were in as good of shape or nicer than the Reef and some of the other big hotels. My advice to anyone trying to book in Myrtle Beach is call their tourism office and try to compare to tripadvisor. Also, try to get more in the center of the beach, where the boardwalk is.
I just want to add, that we didn't have huge problems with the elevator or the parking. On our last night, we had to park across the street, but really, it's like a block away, if that. The elevator is slow, but no more slow than when going to other super touristy areas.

1  Thank Fademist
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stains on the sheets,wet carpet ,clogged toilet,clogged sink ,clogged bathtub, hairs in the bed ,loud noises from trash compactor that is beside the bedrooms, dirty pool,pathetic manager,old outdated elevators,no parking,balcony door broken,rooms are small,dirt dirt dirt,worst place to stay at myrtle beach and I would not stay there i was homeless !!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Mattskilove

Dear Mattskilove,
We were quiet concerned when we read your review, as these lodging room events are quiet serious, and I could not find an incident report noting them. I regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I stayed there for 4 days. Wed thur Sun. There was NO PARKING. You have to go down the road and park. And when you do get done parking and walk to the hotel you have to wait at leasr 20 mins for the elevators. The most time that was spent waiting on an elevator was 1hour and that was the day that we went to check out. The morning that we went to check there was NO CARTS AT ALL!!! We had to carry everything by hand. My brother went across the street to get the truck for us to load all of our stuff into. While we was on the 10th floor riding the elevator down and it stopping on every floor. So my brother was in the front parking spot waiting on the family to get off the elevator with all our things, a man that worked there told him that if he didnt move right then than the hotel would call the police and make him move. My brother explain to the man that his family had waiting on an elevator for an hour and was on there way down. The man didnt care and started yelling at him to move from his parking spot .As the room goes there was waterbugs and the ALL the appliances as VERY OUT DATED!!! Also when we checked in they took a copy of my mamas drivers license and forgot to give them back and they didnt tell her intill 3 days later. We decided to move down the road to Paradise Resort and we LOVED IT there.

Room Tip: Go look at the room before you pay for it! I would go next door to Paradise Resort. Its a little mor...