“I'll NEVER book ANYWHERE else!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Palms

The Palms
Ranked #94 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Farmville, Virginia
“I'll NEVER book ANYWHERE else!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

WOW!! What a GREAT experience!!!! Arrived 12/26 at about 2:45. Was allowed to check in, and I was a bit nervouse, having booked their sister hotel (The Palace) for summer. WHAT A SUPRISE!!!!!! More than 3 times the space that at the other place. Much, much more friendlier (ESPECIALLY WENDY at the front desk). Upon check-in, noticed broken cord on phone. In LESS than 10 minutes, phone was fixed!!!! The cleaning staff (and they came in EVERY DAY!!!!) was EXCELLENT !!!!! Super clean carpet, bathroom and the beds were comfortable. For waht I paid for the 5 nights, I got MORE than what I paid for!!! Already booked for our SUMMER 2010 vacation, and will have the same room. I can't figure out why ANYONE could trash this place. Stay in some of the other places, and you'll come back to the Palms!!!!!! One problem: if I recommend this place too highly, I may NOT get the room I want next December!!! LOL!!!!!!! GREAT PLACE BY FAR !!!!! I've stayed in 5 places over the past 6 years, and this place puts the others to shame!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

We have just completed a 2 month stay at the Palms. We rented from a private owner & we were generally pleased. Our unit was clean & comfortable, but wasn't equipped for long term renters. The local owner always said to contact him if there was anything we needed. The view is to die for, morning coffee with the sunrise is awesome. The complex is a bit dated, but the staff works hard to clean up after inconsiderate guests. The pools & hot tubs were cleaned daily & the temps were great. The location is perfect, walking distance to alot of local bars & restaurants. The driving distances to other attractions in North Myrtle & Murrels Inlet is ideal. Kudos to WENDY at the front desk. She went out of her way to make us feel welcome, we even spent Thanksgiving with her family (great touch). She goes out of her way to make everyone feel welcome, Thanks Wendy!! All in all I would recommend the Palms to those folks who don't find fault with every little detail. We will definitely be back next fall.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sln477
truestatements
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

The pictures online are deceiving. The rooms are individually owned and the one I rented should be condemned. I had to walk right out and ask for a full refund and then drive around to find somewhere else to stay for my vacation. The carpet was dirty and ripped up, the fridge was all rusted, the bed covers were torn and tattered - very old, the couch was supposed to be blue but had more black on it than blue from dirt and scum. I could not open the balcony door without assistance. The corners had dirt and cobwebs. I cried when I arrived in the parking lot and lobby that this was not a resort feel but a motel feel. It was an awful experience. I can guarantee that it would not pass a health inspection. Please don't take your chance on this resort (more like a motel 8) and have your vacation ruined, keep searching online for other places and READ ALL REVIEWS & FOLLOW YOUR GUT!!! THE PICTURES ARE NOT ALWAYS TRUTHFUL!!!!! I am not writing this to be mean but to warn you and keep you from an awful vacation experience. It's just not worth the chance. DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR STAY ANYWHERE UNTIL YOU LOOK AT THE ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank truestatements

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Roanoke, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

MY family and I stayed at this hell hole of a hotel labor day weekend. I booked a 3-BR Penthouse it was on the 17th floor the view was "Awesome" the carpet was dirty and old, matter of fact everything was old even the elevator it broke down twice. The only thing I liked besides the view is how close we were to the beach, the roominess of the penthouse and parking was very convenient. Everything was so outdated I could not believe that they charged so much for this place I wasted $820.00, it was ridiculous. The housekeeper and Linda was nice the person that checked me out which was Tony was ok. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this place, we're planning on going back next year for our vacation but we will stay somewhere else NOT the Palms (it sucked).

Sharon

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank sharon0608
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

Lobbies filthy
Windows haven’t been washed all year
No lights on the 16th floor walkway
Sliding door to balcony next to impossible to open and close
TV in bedroom hardly worked
Asked for a “Do Not Disturb” sign -- unavailable
Requested not to have maid service during my stay and the first day they entered room
Second day -- they came again and finally they got the word to not come to room
Balcony hadn’t been swept -- had a black substance on it that got on feet if you walked in it
Bathroom was small and had a piece of unpainted plywood on the vanity
Shower hardly worked
Hot water ran out halfway through a shower
Elevator broken for 3 of the 7 days
No “Check Out” time posted in room
Telephone had no directions on it -- just pushed “O” in hopes of getting desk
Lighting throughout (especially in bath) so low you could hardly see
Wireless internet down 2 days and then very poor connection thereafter

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2009
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Fatboyeez
austintown ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

The staff at the front desk Wendy, Bob, Tony, and Linda all went that extra mile to make you feel welcome. They were awesome. Joyce, head of housekeeping and her staff especially Denise, who cleaned our room everyday kept everything very clean. The maintenance men were always available if needed. Everyone was extremely friendly and we will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

We booked a one-bedroom condo for my "senior" parents and a three-bedroom condo for ourselves and our four 20-something kids and significant others (22, 23, 26 & 27). I was very pleased with the rates we got, especially on the three-bedroom unit, for a summer weekend. The location is excellent, balconies overlooking the beach, not too far from many restaurants, shopping, and Broadway at the Beach.

Prior to arriving, the desk staff (Katie and Linda) were very helpful and provided great customer service. We had a bit of an issue with the balance remaining to be paid, but I didn't complain because it was to OUR advantage!

The ONLY complaint about our three-bedroom unit (north tower #1501) is that I woke up the last morning there with multiple 'bites' and reported it to the front desk. Otherwise, it was very clean, partially updated (great bathrooms & kitchen; bedrooms and living room need updated furniture). Also, the "third" bedroom near the door is extremely tiny with two twin beds, but is certainly adequate for kids or adults who don't need to sleep in the same bed.

The one-bedroom unit was in serious need of updating and I felt badly for sticking my parents there. It was clean for the most part, but very run down (south tower #905, I believe). Cracked woodwork, desperately needing fresh paint, old furniture, etc. Apparently each unit may be owned by someone different so there is no uniformity to the furnishings or decor in the units - thus the HIT OR MISS title of this review. You could luck out like we did with the larger unit, or end up with one that has not been well cared for - all for the same per night rates.

Parking is very adequate, although most of it is across the street and you have to be very careful crossing, especially at night.

We did not use the indoor pool, but the outdoor pool was spotlessly clean when we were there, and the hot tub seemed to be okay also. Plenty of lounge chairs on two grassy areas also, and a wood boardwalk access to the beach.

Our kitchen was pretty well stocked with dishes, glassware, cookware, utensils, toaster, coffee maker, and electric can opener. Full-sized, clean fridge with ice maker, washer & dryer, disposal, dishwasher, full-sized stove/oven and microwave. The only problem was that there was not much empty cabinet space to stock food and other things we brought along. Also, the top drawer of the counter would not open because it ran into the handle of the oven. Also, we had to obtain dishwashing detergent because that was not provided. Luckily we brought along a couple of rolls of paper towels because there were none in the kitchen. The second day there housekeeping gave us one towel and one dishcloth.

Balconies were great - especially the double balconies for the three-bedroom unit. Outstanding view. Slider units are a little old and hard to lock and unlock.

"Free" high speed internet was pretty much only accessible in the lobby since they said they had some problem with the electrical stuff getting wet.

OVERALL worth the money for location and the roomy area in the three-bedroom so all eight of us could eat together and socialize without crowding. But the exterior and many common areas, as well as some of the units are very dated and in need of upkeep, painting and repair. If you want to take a gamble for the location and price, go for it. If you want to be ASSURED of top notch accommodations, then pay more and go somewhere else. I would go again, but if given one of the run down units would request a change or some type of compensation for the condition.

Recommended with all the "disclaimers" mentioned above!

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family