Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #83 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I vacationed with my friend and her family, and found these accomodations unacceptable! The front desk staff was rude and unhelpful! The rooms were dirty and in disrepair. I definately would not return or reccomend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for The Palace Resort

Reviewed July 28, 2007

This was our 1st and last time at the Palace resort. We stayed in room 711. Although we had a nice room, there were things that should have been fixed or removed before it was rented out to us. The leather recliner had several rips in it. The blinds were broken and the dishwasher was half way hanging out from the counter. Not to mention the 3 elevators that all 23 floors had to use. It took us 10 minutes just to get to our rooms each time we came back from the beach. The rooms are simply not maintained the way they should be.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed July 21, 2007

I've stayed at the Palace several times over the last 15 years and unfortunately it seems to go down hill everytime. This was definitely our last stay there as there were just too many problems. It ranged from no batteries in the remotes to 15 years of dust in the blinds. I understand that all units are individually owned and it seems that the owner of our unit is just cashing thier monthly paycheck and hasn't updated the room since it was built about 20 years ago. The carpet was on the verge of gross although it had been vacuumed. The countertops had big chunks missing from the sides and the lamps didn't have working bulbs. The light fixture in the bathroom had a short and constantly sounded like it might spark a fire at any moment. There was not daily maid service unless you paid extra and you had to exchange your dirty towels across the street. Then they counted the towels like you were going to steal one of their Big Lots discount towels. We couldn't even get an extra towel when we asked and we didn't get a bath mat until the last day. The elevators (both in the lobby and the parking deck) were constantly broken. We were on the 18th floor, so taking the stairs with a 2 year old just wasn't an option. We waited in excess of 25 minutes some days to get an elevator. My husband constantly had to take the stairs in the parking garage to come and get my son and me because, again, we couldn't climb all those stairs just to get to our car. I guess this sums up our stay... and yes, it was the last.

2  Thank Dancingwithfudge
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My review is specific to unit 1413, booked through MyrtleBeachRoomsForRent. Paid about $220/nt w/ taxes. Stayed 7/17 - 7/22.

Based on reviews on this site, I opted to book through the rental agency. Their website seemed to indicate that their units were in better shape compared to those managed directly by the hotel, and going through them was fine.

However, our unit really was not that great. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
-- GREAT two-bedroom layout, although our two bedroom unit was only oceanview and streetview -- not oceanfront (I was aware of this upon booking, but I still like oceanfront better)
-- all appliances were clean and in working order
-- dishwasher and disposal
-- HOT water and great shower pressure
-- interior corridors (the first I've seen at Myrtle Beach personally)
-- Wave Rider lazy river, kiddie pool (loved having the kiddie pool), and regular pool were better than hotel pools and less crowded
-- hot tubs on property were bubbly and hot
-- elevators were NOT slow-moving
-- Blue Wave restaurant is a great option for a quick, light lunch
-- no housekeeping provided -- yes, this is a pro -- we didn't have to worry about hiding our valuables or straightening up so that the maid could do her job effectively. Trading in our towels each day was no problem at all.

CONS:
-- our carpet was F-I-L-T-H-Y -- our feet were black within minutes of walking on them -- I insisted my children wear socks or shoes the whole time and laid towels on the floor if they insisted on laying there; there was thick hair and lint along the baseboards -- there is NO WAY that carpet has been thoroughly vacuumed or steam-cleaned in ages. When I brought it to the rental agency's attention upon checkout, her response was a flippant "Well, they get alot of wear". This carpet was NOT worn; it was plain FILTHY. They claim to personally inspect each room and have it professionally cleaned after each departure; their inspection efforts get an F because anyone would notice the dirty carpet within minutes.
-- the room had a bad, stale odor (probably due to the carpet and old furniture) -- good deoderizing cleaners or plug-ins would have helped, which to me says they were not used
-- sofa and chairs were old and uncomfortable; the sofa bed, when pulled out would sink quite low when sat upon
-- bedrooms had only light-filtering blinds, making the rooms VERY bright at night. After a fitful first night in the bright room, I took a Tylenol PM to ensure that I slept well the other nights, and I used an eye mask to block the light.
-- very poor lighting in the room itself for the size, although all did work
-- very old TV in the main bedroom -- it worked but the cable reception was horrid -- on par with rabbit ear reception
-- only three elevators service 23 floors -- while they move quite quickly, lots of people use them so you do end up either waiting for one to come or stopping on several floors to pick people up, making the trip take a while -- but the elevators are not actually slow; however, the parking garage elevator moves slow! Peak elevator usage seemed to be in the mornings around check out and in the evenings when people were packing their cars for checkout the next morning.

We were late arrivals to our room -- after 10:00 pm. We didn't have any other options for our stay, so, even being not very pleased with the room, it wasn't worth it to us to drag all our stuff back down to our car to go to a different hotel or repack everything to get a different unit -- so we didn't request that option. Management might have accomodated that request, but we didn't pursue it.

I suspect that if you're going to stay at the Palace that booking through MyrtleBeachRoomsForRent is probably the safest bet, since they do have room pictures online. Although, given the number of other options to stay oceanfront, it will be worth it to me to spend another $50-60 a night for a newer or more recently renovated hotel on the strip. The Palace is not high on my return list, and I would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 29, 2007

My family has stayed at the Palace several times over the last few years and it has continued to go down hill. I really don't have anything positive to say about the unit we stayed in. The floors were
filthy and didn't look like they had been mopped in months. The toilet wabbled and the caulk around it was loose and brown. The bathtub had an accumulation of mildew in the recessed areas that ran down the sides when I sprayed it with disinfectant bathroom cleaner.
I called the rental office two days in a row about the toilet and it took 3 or 4 days after that for them to have someone look at it. They
were also supposed to have someone clean our room but they never did. The kitchen counter was chipped up. The dishes in the cabinets were dirty. All the furniture/appliances/wallpaper appear to be original which must date back 15-20 years. When we went to get towels
and sheets from the office at the waverunner, one of the workers brought them to us. He wasn't wearing a shirt and he was clutching the towels against his sweaty chest. The elevators were always slow and the hallway carpets were filthy. A portable fold up bed sat in our hallway the last 4 days of our stay and as far as I know is probably still there.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank scoalltaycal
Reviewed June 25, 2007

My boyfriend, son, and I stayed in 1705 for an entire week and loved EVERY minute of it. The room was a smidge smaller than I imagined, but we still were comfortable. The staff at Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent was great as was the staff at The Palace Resort. Our only complaint was the elevators. There were times that they were very slow and some people rode them up and down forever before getting to their floor or the ground floor. Our stay was very enjoyable, my only complaint was that about half way through our vacation, we had a group of teenagers come in next door and they wanted to party all night and sleep through the day. I called the staff and they assured us if anymore noise, they would be put out.

The Palace seems to attract a lot of younger people who come to the beach to get away from Mom and Dad to have "freedom", but they get crazy with it. If we stayed anywhere else, that would be the only reason. I plan to go back next year, but this time get a larger room and hopefully enjoy it even more. To Greg and your staff....UR THE BEST!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Anuknowthis
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Prior to staying there I read the reviews and to be honest, I was worried that we would have a terrible stay. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed the lodgings and terrific view of the ocean. I saw in other reviews that the rooms were not clean and during our visit the room was clean and smelled great. One thing I hope can help other readers is that the rooms are owned by individuals so the quality and decor will vary. Also of course this means that some appliances and fixtures are a little dated but if your goal is to find a decent room you should be fine. Regarding the elevators and lack of luggage carts, I agree with the remarks posted. Considering the size of the hotel there should be more luggage carts and faster elevators, One thing I did notice is that they have people monitoring the elevators, which has helped minimize the long waits.
One thing that could also help is more realistic name and promotion. It's a decent mid-range hotel but not the resort it purports to be. We stayed in a angle-oceanview one bed-room w/a queen-size sofa-bed and price and quality it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family