Message from TripAdvisor:

“Lovely Room - Great View”
Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #82 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 13, 2006

My husband and I stayed at The Palance for the Bike Rally in early October. 2006 We booked our room over the internet as upon calling the hotel, they had no vacancies....don't understand that. Upon arrival check in was fast though the clerks could be a little more friendly. They were not rude and it was 3 pm (check in time) and they were not busy yet....just rather passive. The room was loverly. It was clean and no odor at all. We did have to request towels as there were none in the room and my husband had to go get them but within 30 minutes more were delivered directly to us. We had a one bedroom suite with full kitchen. It was open and airy and colorful.....with our side view balcony we could see the ocean and hear the surf. Our room was on the fifth floor, room 511, and on the pool side and until later at night you could too easily hear the noise from the pool but that was not too distracting. Level 2 of the parking deck was reserved for motorcycles....the first day. The next day we were told to park on the ground level for security. That's a good thing. But when we came back to the hotel that night from dinner driving our vehicle we parked on the 2nd level (since the bikes are now directed to ground level). Here came two security folks making us move our vehicle because "level 2 is for bikes only"......ok...we moved. As we headed back to the lobby we saw TWO vehicles proceed to level 2 and they were NOT TOLD to move their vehicle. This was quite puzzling to us and did not make us happy as when we had to move to another level and the only place to park was on level 5. This was the only distasteful occurence during our visit. Maid service is great and they were very pleasant and cordial. All in all I would not hesitate to stay at The Palace again. Full sized refrigerator and stove in kitchen. Large TV in living room. Elevators are not the fastest on the planet but none ever are! You can meet the nicest folks in the elevator, too. Stay there. You will be satisfied, at least we were....would have preferred a room a little higher up for the view but my son and daughter in law were on the 10th floor and were not as pleased with their room at all. They stated that ours was much nicer and cleaner and more "modern".....some of their lights had no bulbs in them and wallpaper was peeling. So I guess it just depends on what room you get........we lucked out and were very pleased.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Dundette

Reviewed September 26, 2006

My family and I (Mother, Father, Son, Husband, Mother-In-Law & Father-In-Law) recently stayed at The Palace Resort in Myrtle Beach and we had a wonderful time! The rooms we rented were wonderful. They were very neat and clean and we did not have a bad experience at all. I did plan ahead and I gave a deposit over the phone before I read the reviews....to my surprise, the reviews were not very good. I called Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent (who was handling my reservation) and explained that the reviews were not very good and I was not sure if I wanted my family to stay at place that was not highly recommended. They assured me I would have a wonderful room and they were right. We had no complaints. The elevators were not a long wait at all. Of course, we were on vacation and not in any hurry at all. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and for the people who did not have a good experience at this hotel, I recommend booking through Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent next time because they really took good care of me and my family..

3  Thank jmwwcw
Reviewed September 16, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Palace for a long weekend (Thurs-Sun.) We actually stayed there about 7 years ago and remembered it being nice-WRONG! I really don't think they have done ANY renovations or maintenance since then. I really wish that we would have demanded our money back immediately and left, but we were so exhausted when we arrived that we let it go-that was a mistake. First of all the pools are NOT heated- they were freezing-so cold we didn't even get in, and this was only the 2nd week of September. The beach is quite crowded in front of the hotel-we didn't even stay out there. We drove to a less crowded section north ot the hotel. The elevators are HORRIBLE. All of the people writing reviews are NOT exaggerating-it is ALWAYS at least a 20 minute wait, and we were only on the 8th floor and ended up walking up and down 8 flights of stairs most days. No one handicapped or with children should stay here because of this.

That is not the worst part though-I haven't even started on the room yet.

First it just smelled old. I had Lysol because I spray everything down anyway so we thought we could deal with that. The floor was filthy-your socks will be black after walking a bit and the shower curtain needed cleaning.

Our sink smelled and I wouldn't have even thought of using their silverware or bowls.

About 85% of the vertical blinds covering the balcony door-which wouldn't lock-were missing, actually they were shoved under the bed. I had to clean the table tops because the housekeeper obviously didn't. The carpet and blinds needed to be replaced and the furniture was worn out-terrible bed. Don't stay here if you have a bad back. The TV was about a hundred years old- not quite, but I was surprised it even had a remote.

Our bedspread was dirty-but we don't EVER use the bedspreads anyway. The sheets were washed-I pray, they smelled clean-but had disgusting stains on them resembling blood. We didn't sleep under them anyway, luckily we had brought a blanket and slept on top of it.

The housekeeping was awful. They never just brought towels-we asked and they would say they had to bring them back later. Very fortunately for us I am a little wary of leaving valuables in any hotel room and we had taken my purse, my husbands wallet, our jewelry, ipod, digital camera, and digital video camera to the car with us when we went to the beach that Friday because the housekeeper that had to bring our towels later left our door OPEN. We left the hotel that day around 11 am and returned at @ 4pm. We have no idea how long our door was open. I was furious and was SO happy nothing had been taken.

I would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE unless you don't mind dirty smelly rooms, freezing pools, irresponsible cleaning staff, stained sheets, no blinds, dirty carpet and just feeling grossed out in general. There was not ONE SINGLE THING good about this hotel for us please stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sissy22
Reviewed September 13, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at the Palace several times over the last few years with relatively no problems until this year. Last year we took my mother with us and her bathroom shower had a problem which they couldnt fix till our stay was almost over with, which was a minor inconvience to us. The recommendation of the staff was to rent direct through the Wave Rider across the street because they always handle problems in a timelier manner. This year we did that and WILL NEVER DO AGAIN. First off we had to pay more for the exact same room as we could have booked through the Palace. Then we HAD TO PAY MAID SERVICE and take all our dirty linens across the street to get new ones. Most days they did not even have clean towels or washcloths when we took our dirty back. The maid service was sorry to say the best they did not even vacuum the room on 2 occasions. We had to pack our own trash out of the room daily because they would not! Last year our maids cleaned and took care of everything. Lastly there was a 100 deposit required which according to the Wave Rider has been refunded back to my bank debit card however my bank has NO RECORD of the transaction. I have tried 21 times since June to speak with a manager at Wave Rider but apparently he is to busy to call me back. I have verified with my bank on several occasions that t his transaction did not take place. Also when calling them to try and resolve this issue the only answer I can get is that they show it was and that there is no way that they could have messed up. I have asked for a approval code and they cannot provide me with a hard copy of any transactions. The palace itself is not the best hotel on Myrtle Beach but it does have a lot a ammenties that suite me and my family well. NEVER RENT OFF WAVE RIDER OR ITS ASSOCIATES THEY ARE DISHONEST and the PRICES ARE OUTRAGEOUS. YOU CAN GET THE SAME DEAL CALLING THE PALACE DIRECTLY!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank JustJess80
pgw9393, Property Manager of Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent at The Palace Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2006

I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with the service that you said that you received. We do try our best to handle all maintenance requests as well as customer complaints in a timely manner and I am sure that is why according to your statement, that the staff at the Palace told you to rent through the Wave Rider rather than the front desk at the Palace. The rates that we charge are comparable to that of the front desk sometimes our rate may be higher where as other times our rates are lower than that of the front desk, however all of our rooms are upgraded to a standard higher than that of what the front desk offers. The rooms that we manage at the Palace offer many upgrades, which may or may not be available through other rental companies doing business out of the Palace. For example all of our rooms have dvd/vcrs, irons and ironing boards, vacuum cleaners and hair dryers. These items are standard in all of the rooms we manage, in addition all of our guests have access to the amenities at the Wave Rider Resort which offers a lazy river, kiddie pool and playground, indoor and outdoor pools, a grilling area and a shuffle board deck. Guest who check-in through the front desk of the Palace does not have access to these additional amenities found at the Wave Rider.

Our daily maid service program is simple. In order to keep the rates we charge our guest down, we do not typically offer daily maid service unless the guest requests it. There is a minimal charge for daily maid service if the guest chooses. We try our best to inform our guest of this policy by having it available on our website, it is mailed to our guests in their confirmation letter, and at check-in the guests are also given a sheet that they must fill out saying whether or not they want maid service. We do allow our guests to exchange their linens at anytime during our normal business hours at no charge as long as they come by our office to do the exchange.

I am concerned about our guests interactions with us and if a guest calls and asked to speak with a manager I will speak with them, if at the time of their call I am not in the office my staff will leave me a message to call the guest back. We are more than happy to provide the guest with any copies of credit card receipts or refunds receipts that they request. I do not recall any guest that has repeatedly called me nor am I aware of any problems with a guest not receiving a credit back on their statement.

Reviewed September 5, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions and just as soon as I tried to bring out-of-town guest, they gave me the worst 3 rooms they had in the hotel. Not only did I plan far enough in advance to have the rooms on the same floor, I put in a request and was assigned room #'s only to get there and have the rooms on the different floors. OK we got past that and then I open the room door to find one Queen Size bed. I requested a room with 2 beds. They had an answer for that; the sofa had a queen bed... When it was bedtime (after a long day of travel with 2 children, my mother and my in-laws) I tried to pull out the sofa bed and how about the whole bed (frame and all) came out and fell on the floor. I caught it trying to get it back in there. I had to go to my mother's room and get the mattress out of her sofa bed and bring it to my room for my children to have a place to sleep...

By then I was completely done with this hotel. Everyone in my party had a complaint. My mother was under the sink in the bathroom fixing it because the stopper wouldn’t release the water. We requested a smoking room for my in-laws and they didn’t get one… So finally I called The Palace Resort (Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent) manager by the name of Greg Williams at (803) 547-2615 and asked him to refund the money for all 3 of the rooms so we could go somewhere else. He told me (and I quote) "I don't care if you leave but the other 2 rooms have to stay".... How would I look leaving my guest for the weekend in a dump and I go a nice hotel?

I don't even want to discuss the elevators, I was in room 1802 and it took a half hour to get to the lobby. I started just taking the steps as well as a lot of the other guest.. We passed some of them on the stairwell so often, we ended up making good friends with them and we will keep in touch if for nothing else but to talk about our terrible weekend at the PALACE!!

To make a long story short, if you ever run into the Palace or anything related to the palace, just know that you are going to be in a DUMP! If you are fine with staying in a Dump, then the Palace is the place for you!!

3  Thank smburgess
pgw9393, Property Manager: Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent at The Palace Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2006

This guest was part of a family reunion group that had reserved about six rooms with us. On the day of their arrival the group came in and said that they no longer needed two of the rooms and wanted to cancel them and another room that they had originally reserved for three nights they only needed for one. Even though it was labor day weekend and we had a three night minimum on all the rooms we canceled their rooms and gave them a credit and allowed the other guest to stay for one night rather than the three nights which they had reserved for.

I spoke to the guest who wrote the around 11:30 PM on the night of their arrival. She called to say that her sleeper sofa would not operate properly and wanted to know if we had a cot. I explained to her that all of our cots were already being used, but I would gladly switch her to another room. She stated that she did not want to be switched to another room and wanted a refund. I told her that I would give her a refund. She then wanted a discount / refund for all the remaining rooms that the various familys in her reunion had reserved. I told her that I would give her a refund however since there were no problems with any of the other rooms I would not issue a discount or refund on them.

After the guests departure, it was found that the sleeper sofa was not working properly and I placed a call to the owner of the room to let them know a new sleeper sofa needed to be ordered for the room.

Reviewed September 4, 2006

WOW. Upon entering the palace with friends, I was overtaken by the smell of urine and feces. It lead me wondering whether one of the nice guests had decided to use the lobby instead of the bathroom. We were able to count at least one drunk or drugged up person each day that we were there....whether they were actually a guest or just a crackhead using the facilities for the day was beyond me. The rooms...well, you can read the rest of the reviews to see that each room was infected with bugs, stains, odors and decorations from the 60's. Management...what is going on?! A big crappy sign on the front says "16 flavors of ice cream"...I wouldn't touch any food in that place with YOUR mouth...you couldn't give it to me for free. And how about we were enjoying a nice relaxing night on the balcony when all of a sudden shorts started to fly down from the balconies above...I have no idea what that was all about. Oh yeah and the security...is a seventy year old woman. Not to mention the fact that buses were transporting random people (possibly prisoners) about 3 times a day...yes, random people that were not even staying at the hotel....weird? I think so. But I'm not complaining because you pay about $100 a night...you get what you pay for...unless you really got screwed and they charged you more...than that sucks. And the beach at the Palace is nice...if your the type of person that likes to be so close to strangers that you can smell their body odors and see every hair on their nasty body. Overall, theres a lot of disgusting people and things here...DON'T DO IT. *Please note the photograph of the elevator that is clearly duct taped...very nice...* Management...how come you only respond to the good reviews...not the truthful ones? Please face the truth.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank johnClarkensen
Reviewed September 3, 2006

This hotel was nasty. The bed was made on top of wood pallets.Nothing for kids to do. Teenagers cannot be in halls or anywhere in the hotel by themselves. Dryer was broke the entire time we were there. No hair dryers in the room. There was only 3 elevators in the whole hotel. The wait time was horrible.