Message from TripAdvisor:

“The Palace was OK, but we will not stay there again”
Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #83 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
North Carolina
“The Palace was OK, but we will not stay there again”
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We arrived on Sunday and were able to check in with no wait. However, when we tried to get to the 15th floor the wait began. There are 3 elevators with a capacity of 12 each. With 200+ rooms, this is nowhere near the capacity needed. It took over 1 hour to get our luggage upstairs due to the wait. Our room was a privately owned condo and was in good shape. There was some general wear and tear from being a rental. It was clean with newer furniture and pillow top mattresses. We stayed 5 nights and received one mid-stay sheet change. The cleaning staff did an adequate job.
As for pools, the internet shows an indoor pool which is non-existent in the summer. There are 2 relatively small pools and a few hot tubs. There is also no kiddie pool, if that matters to you. As a plus, there is a restroom on the ground floor, so you don't have to go to your room for restroom trips.
Overall, our stay was nice, but it was overshadowed by the elevator waits. Before 11 am and between 3pm and 6pm, you can expect a long wait unless you are in condition to do the stairs. I waited for 5 elevator cars before there was room for me to get down (just me, no luggage) to check out (about 30 minutes). My husband started loading at 9am so that we would be done by 11, checkout time.
We would gladly stay in this particular room again, but we won't stay at the Palace because of the elevators and lack of pool features. We give our room 4 stars, the staff 3 stars and the Palace itself 1 star.

• Liked — Room was very nice and well kept
  • Disliked — Elevators are too few and much too small
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a low floor so you can use the steps
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank NC_mom_to_2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
cleveland ohio
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Can we say Bates Motel !!!! My wife and I did alot of looking for a great hotel boy were we fooled. The website made it look like a resort in the Carribean, Not ! Bates motel looks better. We walked into room #902 looked around, looked at eachother and
laughed in disgust. The room looked like it hadn't been cleaned ever and smelled really bad. There is not room to put your things anywhere.(no dresser or closet) The wall paper was ripped on all the corners of the room, and the kitchen was a mess. This room should be classified as a efficiency not a one bedroom suite!! After complaining the room was too small and a dump, we were asked how many people were with us. There were only two I replied, i was given a dirty look. The good think about this I was refunded in full within 10 minutes. We never want to see this Palace ever again. We went to Chicora Reality they rented us a beautiful two bedroom two bath side oceanview room for $4.00 more than the dump. Do Not look at the website and think thats what you get. Stay Away!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — dont stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank ericace21

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

NC
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Our stay at the Palace was the worst experience EVER - it was dirty and disgusting, the condo #1007 smelled of mildew and everywhere you looked there was dirt, the refrig was rusted the carpet was gross, we felt as if we were staying in a $10 a night hotel instead of the $182 a night resort we were lead to believe on the internet. These condo's are individually owned and The Palace must not have any standards in which they hold the owners to, we had some friends that stayed there at the same time we did and their room was about 100% nicer than ours, and we both were paying the same. I believe within their 23 floors you will probably only find a handful of units worth there price, but you never know which one you will get so in my mind it is NOT worth taking that chance. I WILL NOT EVER STAY AT THIS PLACE AGAIN AND I STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DON'T EITHER, there are way to many places to chose from to settle for the Palace (not a palace). It will take me a month to make up the sleep I lost due to the beds feeling as if you are sleeping on a squeeky, dirty ROCK. Be warned - DO NOT STAY AT THE PALACE !!!!

• Liked — NOthing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT STAY AT THE PALACE !!!!!
  • Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Bones1
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We stayed at The Palace Resort from 7/20/06 until 7/23/06. My husbands Men's Open League Softball team also took some rooms. To begin with we were originally assigned Room 602. It was AWFUL. The blinds were torn up, the sliding door blinds were missing several of its tracks, there was a urine odor in the whole room and the bathroom looked as if it hadn't been cleaned. I went to speak with the manager, I think Jim was his name, and he was VERY nice. He gave me the key to room 1806 which is privately owned. It is an angle oceanfront sunsuite. The room is VERY clean, non-smoking with a wonderful view. The PROBLEM with this room as you can see in the guest book is that the air conditioning unit is so noisy you can't sleep without EAR PLUGS which we did have to purchase as this was the only other room available to us. Nor can you watch TV at a normal volume. The hotel has contacted the owner about the AC unit twice and several guests who have stayed in the room complimented the cleanliness of the room and ALL that stayed in the summer months complained of the AC as did we. Overall the hotel is older. You will have to WAIT for (1) of the (3) elevators to get back and forth to your room and the only elevator to your car is in the parking garage and there is only (1) of them. So I am giving the Palace a (2) rating and that is only because we had no problems with the staff. However, I do know some of the folks did get the "I don't care attitude" from them on most things. Especially one couple with us who needed to go back down and get towels as the cleaning staff didn't leave them any after cleaning the room. SORRY!!

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Melissa B
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2006

My husband and I visited The Palace hotel for a weekend getaway with our children. As a resident of South Carolina, we visit the area quite often, but I never had an experience as bad as this one. We arrived late friday night, and were given a room on the top floor of the hotel. The air conditioning was broken in this room, and it was sweltering hot. We called down to the front desk and complained. A very friendly maintenance person came up with a large fan, and put it at the door. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but would you spend the night in a hotel room with your frount door wide open? We were not comfortable with this, especially since our three children were with us. We were told that the person who was in charge of fixing the air conditioning would be sometime the next day, and we would have to perservere.
Our room was also beyond nasty! I let my daughter take off her shoes, and when she crawled up in my lap, her feet were black with caked on dirt from the carpet. I washed her up, and wouldn't let my children take off there shoes again. The curtains and the wall paper were torn, the bed was filthy, to the point that I would not lie down on it. The sofa hide-a-bed was the final straw! There was no way any parent would have put their child on that stained, dirty, thing, plus, it was broken, and kept falling through the frame on the bottom. At around 3:00 am, we were tired of trying to tough it out in this dive, so we packed up and left to find another hotel. The mamagement were simpathetic, but they could not change our rooms. We were promised a refund , which we indeed recieved, but we had to make several phone calls to accomplish that.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank atollison1975
Ottawa,Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I stayed at the Palace Resort between July 2 and July 10,2006. I realized when I made reservations that it would be a busy time of the year to be in Myrtle Beach. However, I didn't expect to wait 10-15 minutes, in a line up to get on one of the three elevators. The wait time did get better as the week progressed.

I had reserved an angled oceanfront room for my wife and daughter. The mattress on the sleeper sofa was so thin that my daughter could feel the metal support bars. (I purchased a inflatable mattress the 2nd day we were there.)

The room itself was comfortable with all the basic requirements. However, everything was very dated. The building was built in 1978, the kitchen and furniture appeared to be of the same vintage. The side of the fridge had what may have been spilled soup running down the side and the floor between the end of the kitchen counter and fridge, extremely dirty, dust, food particules.

Upon entering the unit, the carpet was wet from the a/c unit that had leaked. We had to get the maintenance people up twice to vaccuum up the water. The room stank from the mould and mildew.

I had spoken to the office about moving units, none were available.
I cannot complain about the staff, very helpful and friendly, and I think they realized our frustration.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank OttawaTraveller04
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My family stayed at The Palace and had an ocean front suite. It was very nice and the decor through out the hotel was very pretty. Friends of ours had a 2 bedroom suite and it was like a nice little apartment and they were happy also. Unless this place has really gone down hill, the people that are critical are being ridiculous. The Palace was clean and the service was great. I would go back there anytime.

• Stayed April 2003