“I have to agree...there are better places to stay”
Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #82 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I stayed at the Palace Resort between July 2 and July 10,2006. I realized when I made reservations that it would be a busy time of the year to be in Myrtle Beach. However, I didn't expect to wait 10-15 minutes, in a line up to get on one of the three elevators. The wait time did get better as the week progressed.

I had reserved an angled oceanfront room for my wife and daughter. The mattress on the sleeper sofa was so thin that my daughter could feel the metal support bars. (I purchased a inflatable mattress the 2nd day we were there.)

The room itself was comfortable with all the basic requirements. However, everything was very dated. The building was built in 1978, the kitchen and furniture appeared to be of the same vintage. The side of the fridge had what may have been spilled soup running down the side and the floor between the end of the kitchen counter and fridge, extremely dirty, dust, food particules.

Upon entering the unit, the carpet was wet from the a/c unit that had leaked. We had to get the maintenance people up twice to vaccuum up the water. The room stank from the mould and mildew.

I had spoken to the office about moving units, none were available.
I cannot complain about the staff, very helpful and friendly, and I think they realized our frustration.

• Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank OttawaTraveller04
Write a ReviewReviews (1,235)

Belmont, NY
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My family stayed at The Palace and had an ocean front suite. It was very nice and the decor through out the hotel was very pretty. Friends of ours had a 2 bedroom suite and it was like a nice little apartment and they were happy also. Unless this place has really gone down hill, the people that are critical are being ridiculous. The Palace was clean and the service was great. I would go back there anytime.

• Stayed: April 2003
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Aynor, Sc
Reviewed July 6, 2006

My husband and I stayed with our daughter for spring break. We reserved an angle ocean view one bedroom suite. The room was very dated. The windows had vertical blinds but many were missing leaving virtually no privacy. The curtains on the balcony door were torn...literally shredded from the bottom up and very dingy. The carpet and furniture were not clean. The mattress was little more than thick foam. One of the lamps in the bedroom did not work. We were given clean towels and the trash was emptied. I would not recommend this "resort". Myrtle Beach has a multitude of hotel choices. It is worth paying a little extra to have a nicer stay.

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Our stay at the Palace was a very pleasent despite the fears we had after reading the reviews. We asked to see our room before we checked in as we had been suggested to do. The lady at the desk was very nice, she gave us the key and told us to take our time. When we got to the room, we were almost scared to open the door after all we had read on here, but to our surprise we were very impressed, the room was spacious and very clean. So we went back down and told her we liked it. The maids were also super nice, they cleaned our room everyday and were very friendly. The Palace gets the heat for thier privately owned rooms that are rented out by different places. Why should they take care of people that are not getting the rooms from them, it's not thier job! We had a great vacation and we would stay here again!! Some people are just way too critical of this place!!

2  Thank rich40701
Reviewed July 2, 2006

Shocking for a place called the palace, The one bed in the suite had a comforter that looked like it came from a yard sale. Not to mention a torn bedskirt pinned to the mattress.
On the pull out sofa, the mattress looked as if rats had been chewing on it. We found many old food items in it such as french fries, cheetos and hairs stuck all to the blanket.
The sheets on the beds were see through they had been used so much. Upon compaining to management I felt like I was in another country where americans were hated. We had our money refunded after a few hours and left.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2006

First the bed we had was an approximate 4 in. mattress on a wooden box. No support whatsoever. Very uncomfortable we were expecting a lot nicer room. At the least a real bed after traveling. The blinds were bent and coming apart.The refrigerator was only cool would not keep anything cold no ice. Brownwater runing out from under refrigerator, reported and complained several times after a wk stay nothing had been done. We had to go buy a cooler just to have cold drinks an sandwich stuff for snacks. And had to pay $2.00 dollars a bag for several bags of ice because no one cared to repair the frig. The only thing the maid did was throw the bed up, changed it once the whole week. Brought in clean towels. She did no cleaning whatsoever. Tile was coming loose in the bathroom, floor dirty, carpet dirty. Over all the room was maybe worth 50.00 dollars a night (but not to us), not to mention how much we really paid. Way over priced for the accomodations. The only plus the palace had, was their security, Very polite, friendly and on the job continuosly. Our motorcycle had a nicer place to stay than we did, funny huh! I would not recommend this motel to anyone that wants a nice clean room in full working order. Thanks for letting me air my complaint this was the worst hotel i have ever stayed in.

Washington, DC
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I should have listened to those who said stay-away! I thought if I asked to see the room first like some of you suggested, I might be one of the blessed ones. Well, I was wrong. I went in to see the room and let me tell you, at-a-glance it looked fine...but I did not notice the lighting in the room was extremely poor which gave a false appearance.

Once I went back to the lobby to say ok...I'll take it, and gathered my family and bags, and went back to the room to settle, I realized that I made a mistake. Although there wasn't any visible trash, you could see the filth within the fabrics of the furniture (sofa and bed spread). I took extra sheets and towels just in case, and I'm glad I did that...I put sheets and towels on everything. I was so glad I only stayed for two days. I tried really hard to stay out of the room as much as possible. The price was right, and if that is what you need then make sure you take plenty of sheets and towel and flip flops for everyone...don't touch anything. I was hoping I could say that I was one of those who had an alright experience. Sorry...not me!

Washington, DC