“poorly maintained”
Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #82 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 21, 2005

I just came back from a week at the Palace and I will not be returning. I stayed in a sunsuite with my husband which was a good size for us however the room was run down. The television was so old that we had to change stations manually. The remote had no batteries and after we asked the front desk for some they still havent shown up yet. Our comforter had rips and wholes. The front desk brought up a blanket and told us a new comforter would be their tomorrow. I'm still waiting for it. The front staff was nice just tomorrow never came. The elevators that everyone complains about is very true. Sometimes you have to wait 10 minutes for an elevator. The day we were coming home my husband put our things in the car at 6am so that we could get an elevator. At certain points of the day they have people operating the elevator. I dont know what the do but take up space. The palace is run not expecting repeat customers. I think they believe that myrtle beach attracts so many people that those who stayed one year will be replaced the next by the next set of fools who stay at the palace. I liked myrtle beach but I will stay some where else the next time I return.

• Stayed: July 2005

Hodges, SC
Reviewed July 21, 2005

We stayed at the Palace during the State Firemans Convention. After reading all of the horrible reviews, I was afraid of what we may be in for. We booked our room through Myrtle Beach rooms for rent, they were all very nice and helpful. We stayed in room 1708, it was very clean and spacious. We had no complaints at all. The elevators were a bit slow, but we are talking about a 23 story building?! The Palace staffed each elevator with an employee during the hours of 10am-6PM to speed things up, it really helps. We loved the room servive, there is only a 5% delivery charge and they deliver until 3am! The pools and hot tubs were very clean, lots of sunning room around the pool. Thanks for a great stay, we will be back and bring our family.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2005

The second room was better than the 1st. 807 needs some updates. 2213 was great. Nice ocean view. Staff very friendly and professional. Elevators needs to be added as only three for 23 floors. Weekend waits to use them. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank clprender
Meadowview, Virginia
Reviewed July 11, 2005

This hotel was fairly decent. We stayed on the 19th floor.....the elevator was slow and stinky...the last night we stayed there they had karaoke in the hotel restaurant...while a man was singing "Woa, Black Betty" a middle aged woman was chasing a giant cockroach with her chair..finally after a few attempts a elderly man hit the cockroach with his shoe!!!!When I was going to go back up to my room(on the 19th floor) the elevator was out and i had to go up all 19 flights of stairs! The day we were leaving we had no towels for our showers, so i got my daughters to go ask the maids for some towels...they got mad at them and wouldn't give them any towels because it was 9:30 and we were supposed to be out by 11:00(they said we didn't have time to get ready)......Definetly not going to stay here again!!!!The next year we stayed at Boardwalk Beach Resort staying there again this year!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2003
Reviewed July 7, 2005

i would like to warn everyone that is thinking about staying in this resort. And I use the work resort lightly. My daughter wrote a review titled "run as fast as you can". She did a great job in describing our vacation. She did however leave a few things out reguarding Greg Williams who rents thru Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent. I spent $80 in cleaning supplies and new blankets etc. so we could survive the week. The blankets on the beds were full of hair. We asked the "maid" for new clean blankets and was advised she did not have clean ones with her. I spent a half hour trying to cross the street to the "main office" and they didnt have blankets either. I left several messages for Greg Williams and he never returned my call. I finally called the desk again and he happened to answer the phone. You can only imagine how upset i was when he asked why I waited till the second day to call him. I advised him I had left several messages for him to call me etc...etc. Things just escalated from there and after I let him know I was going to buy cleaning supplies and blankets and that when I got
home I would report this mess to anyone on the internet that would listen , and I have , he just said OK. This man is a real piece of work and should be arrested for theft by deception. He practically ruined my first vacation in four years and my first and last time to Myrtle Beach. Hope this review keeps you from making the same mistake. Dont forget my daughters review, please read it. It's all true. I almost forgot, dont ask the front desk in the lobby for help . They will quickley tell you "GO ACROSS THE STREET". Like we didnt have enough problems, the fire alarm went off and we had to exit the building. We were on the second floor in room 207.. My husband is disabled and uses a wheelchair which he flew down so he could bring it. We couldnt use the elevators so my son happended to be the only one there with us at the time, helped him down four flights of stairs. When we were told we could go back in the building I ask the front desk if they could help me with a wheelchair to get him back in the room. Guess what they said!! You guessed it! GO ACROSS THE STREET. Needless to say my son helped him get back to the elevator that we had to wait a half hour for and my husband spent the rest of our vacation in bed trying to recover enough to fly back home. Thanks for listening. If anyone has had a worse time than this at this "resort" I would like to hear it.And just think, I paid him $931 for this "great time".

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank redky
Reviewed July 4, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Palace Resort from June 4th-June 10th. Our room was so filthy when we got there that we didn't even shower because the tubs were dirtier than we were. There was pubic hair all over the bathroom floors and bathtub. The carpet looked like it had not been swept in months. We had a glass dining room table and a glass end table and both had old food smeared all over them. It was late when we arrived so we called the front desk(which is across the street...and a whole different problem)and the girl said she would see to it that it would get cleaned the next morning. So the next morning here comes the maid and her exact words were.."I didn't get to clean this room yesturday but someone only stayed in it one night so I didn't think it would be that dirty" They put us in a dirty room that no one had cleaned yet! The maid did a horrible job cleaning, even while we were watching her! Then we were given "clean" towels that had dried blood all over them. When we went to get new towels we were told we were not allowed to have anymore! We rented from Greg Williams from Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent. He was rude and offered nothing to help reslove our problems. Reported him and the company to the South Carolina BBB. This does not even skim the surface of the problems we had there that week. Would not even recommend this dump to my worst enemy.

2  Thank missamy1978
Tennessee
Reviewed July 3, 2005

We just came back from a 6 day stay at The Palace. There were 2 adults and 1 six year old child in our group. We reserved a sunsuite which was small, like a hotel room, with a balcony that did not have chairs or really room for chairs. The other family that traveled with us had 5 total and they reserved a 1 bedroom. It had quite a bit of room, but more for a 3 person family.
First of all, our room was 1605 (theirs was 1611). When we arrived, we asked to see the room and were told we could not get in because it was not ready (it was 2:30pm). Just behind us were realty people who were going to see this particular room since it was for sale (bad for us because someone apparently quit taking care of it). We went up with them to see the room and upon first glance it looked okay (and I mean glance). We got to check in at 3:00pm and started taking our things up. Yes, the elevator waits are long, not just at check out and in. Our room was failry clean, the carpet was so dirty that my feet were black after I had been barefoot for 1 hour in there. I cleaned the room, kitchen, bathroom (especially) with clorox I brought and was fairly satisfied.
The cleaning service offered us clean linen every morning and emptied our trash, but never offered to vacuum or anything else. As I said earlier, the balcony was 2 person small without furniture to sit on, so we used the chairs from the dining table. The bed was in a small nook that you could barely walk around. There really was not any walking room once the sofa bed was pulled out.
Our friends' room had wallpaper falling off the walls, nasty carpet, and a musty odor (as did ours).
The pools were okay, needed to be larger for the size of hotel/building. They had 2 and 2 small hot tubs outside and a small kiddie pool.
We also did not like having to ride the elevators down, then go outside the hotel to get on other elevators to take us to our cars. This took a while since the elevators were slow.
My parents stayed in the hotel next door which is small The Gazebo. Their room was larger than ours with 2 double beds and kitchenette and they paid half of what we did. Actually, they stayed 8 nights, got to leave 2 hours later than checkout time and paid less than we did for a 5 night stay. I have made reservations at the Gazebo for Sept.

• Stayed: June 2005