The Palace Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Beachwalk Motel(Myrtle Beach)
  • Pool
Twilight Surf Motel(Myrtle Beach)
Landmark Resort(Myrtle Beach)
View Hotel
Wave Rider Resort(Myrtle Beach)
Waikiki Village(Myrtle Beach)
View Hotel
Summer Sands Motel(Myrtle Beach)
1,245 results
All reviewssun suitebedroom condoocean viewpools and hot tubsfull kitchenebonyboardwalk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 9, 2004

My review is somewhat dated but I thought I'd comment since I happened to stumble across a web site for this place again. We rented from Greg Williams (at thepalaceresort website) about two years ago and were not happy with our accommodations, to say the least. First of all, we made a grave error in choosing one of the biker weeks as our vacation time (end of May). We came in at the end of the week making the first two days of our vacation a virtual prison sentence. Leaving the building meant putting your family at risk and a half hour wait for an elevator. I asked Greg several questions about the Palace, when I was booking it, and he never mentioned bike week, even though he new I was coming with my family. Anyway, I digress. The restaurant he states on his website as being in the building is not there and hasn't been for years! When we were there it was a one-man show serving bar food and having no liquor license. The unit we rented was old and dirty. The beds were cheap and felt like we were sleeping on plywood. The couches were worn and filthy. The airconditioner was noisy and the whole place looked tired. If you have a complaint, and we had several, you have to go across the street to a hotel and leave your information with someone at the desk. Then someone might call you. I say might because they don't usually call back and if they do, they just make excuses and hang up.
In spite of the room and bike week the remainder of our time at Myrtle Beach was nice. To be fair, I can't say that all of Greg's units are like the one we had but it doesn't appear that our room has changed much, based on the pictures he has of it on the web site.
Finally, after our vacation was over I sent Greg an email telling him about our experience. I didn't ask for my money back, I just let him know about how I felt. At no time did I yell at him over the phone or do anything to give him cause to ignore me. I got no response. Nothing! Once he has your money, he's gone. Need I say more?

6  Thank Tspanky
Management response:Responded January 10, 2005

The person who wrote the review stated that he stayed at the Palace 2 years ago. I honestly do not remember this person but would like to respond to his comments. Two years ago I was brokering rooms (referring guests to a rental company for a commission) for several rental companies who do business out of the Palace. The Palace is a condo complex and each unit in the building are individually owned and because of this each room is decorated according to the homeowners tastes. Since I do not know the reviewers name, I’m not sure which rental company I set him up with. Two years ago there were two rental companies across the street from the Palace along with about 5 other rental companies who rented rooms at the Palace. His assessment of the restaurant was correct. However the restaurant now is ran by a different group and is much improved. They are open 7 days a week serving breakfast lunch and dinner. They now have their liquor license and frequently have entertainment such as live bands and karaoke at night and during the day by the pool deck. The biker week that the guest stated his vacation fell on is a busy week for us. We typically are 100% full for the week. Even though the reviewer stated I did not inform him of the event, it is ultimately up to the person renting to choose their vacation dates. We do tell the guest of the events; however we cannot negatively comment about the event due to potential litigation from the event promoters.

About a year ago I took over as property manager of Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent, Inc, which manages about 40 units at the Palace Resort. Our office is located within The Wave Rider rental complex located directly across the street from the Palace. When I took over, there were several units originally on the rental program that was substandard. I immediately did an inspection of each of the rooms and compiled a list of action items that each of the homeowners had to do to their room in order to keep the room from being removed from the rental program. Over the past year we have worked hard to renovate each of the rooms we manage and I believe that we offer our guests rooms which are upgraded to a standard which far exceeds most of the rooms which are available for rent in the Myrtle Beach area. For starters most of our rooms have been completely renovated within the past year. All of our rooms include a dvd/vcr, cd player, alarm clock, wall mount hair dryer in each bathroom, and a vacuum cleaner. In addition we offer our guests free high-speed Internet access, and access to all the amenities of our sister resort located at the Wave Rider Resort. We also have monthly cookouts for our guests where we offer free hotdogs / hamburgers.

I am concerned about each of our guests’ experiences that is why we have worked so hard over the past year to update and renovate our properties. We are the only company doing business at the Palace who places current photos of each of the rooms on our Website (commercial URL) and (commercial URL). Please take a look at each of our rooms and I believe that you will find that the reviewers comments are not accurate.

Reviewed October 25, 2004

Needing a place for a 4 night stay, I began looking on the net for a place. We have been going to FL for the last 7 years but the hurricanes caused too much damage for us, so we returned to Myrtle. As I read various reviews, I decided it was best that we give it a shot at look and see. When we arrived, we were told of all the activites taking place while we were there. None the less, I took my list of properties and began a look an see check. Of the four properties with vacancies, The Palace ranked last. The front desk people were nice enough to give us 2 rooms to look at, both failed on being not clean but there is a need for a major...... major renovation. We stayed at the Boardwalk for $7 more/night, well worth it!

2  Thank tactical
A TripAdvisor Member
Lexington, SC
Reviewed October 24, 2004

We stayed at the Palace Resort this past weekend.October 22-24, 2004.
I was horrified to what I might find once I got there after reading all the reviews people have given this particular resort. I made my reservations through WaveRider two weeks before we left and I bet after reading some of these reviews I called these poor people 100 times. I arrived early on Friday with the plans on looking at the room and going somewhere else. I arrived at 4:00 pm got the key to room 107 and went up to the room. I read about slow and nasty elevators which I did not find true at all. I got to the lobby of the hotel and was shocked when it was clean, didnt smell like smoke, and the fountain was absolutly beautiful. I looked at my husband immediatly and said " I am shocked at the appearance of this hotel." I went to get on the elevator and what do ya know, I pushed the button and bam there was an elevator. I was getting really antsy by this point. My luck is not one you would even call luck, if it is going to happen I will be the one it happens too. We got off the elevator and went to the room. I put the key in the lock and let out a huge sigh. I turned the key and opened the door. I was FLOORED this room was completely clean and smelled clean. I walked through the room with a fine tooth comb looking for bugs and any imperfection. I FOUND NONE.
I am not saying that there werent the normal problems but by far this is the best place in Myrtle Beach we have ever stayed. We had an issue with the dishwasher that was taken care of in a prompt manner.

I would recommend anyone staying here. We enjoyed ourselves completely and will now be loyal guests of this hotel.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 23, 2004

If you are looking for the perfect hotel in Myrtle Beach...look no further. We stayed on the 5th floor in a "Sun suite". The major thing I noticed right away was the cleanliness of the room.We were met with a hassle free check-in,and they let us see the room before checking in.The room was designed very nicely, and offered a great view from the balcony.I saw nothing I didn't like about this hotel. The hotel even has a security officer patrolling the parking deck.It has a jacuzzi on the 22nd floor, and numerous jacuzzis outside. The hotel even offers a cafe/bar, lazy river, pools, arcade and sauna. I highly recommend The Palace.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 9, 2004

We paid only 776.88 for 6 nights for a two bedroom condo with two bathroom. This is very cheap for a condo on the beach downtown Myrtle Beach...

But each condo are individualy own... some are well maintain... some not...

Our was had no A/C... found hair everywhere on the floor... some wallpaper was missing in the main bedroom... door of the second bedroom was broked...

The elevators are the worst. We actually waited for about 20 minutes on an elevator.

If you go there please ask to view room before to check in... i know some are nice...

Staff is helpful...