Message from TripAdvisor:

The Palace Resort
Ranked #82 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Worst Hotel Ever!!!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2004

I have never stayed at a more disgusting hotel. The floors looked like they had not been cleaned or vaccumed in years. While we were at the hotel we stayed in three different rooms. The first room had a couch from the 1950's that had holes in it and was so outdated that you felt like you were stepping back in time. Then when we asked to switch rooms we had a room that had had a leak and the floor was soaked. After a day the odor was evident in that room. After two days the odor was so bad that you could smell the room from down the hallway. When we asked management (off property rental agent) to fix the problem they came over and sprayed; however, that did not eliminate the problem. Again we switched rooms, and the room was nicer, but still had an odor. I do not think that they ever really clean thier rooms. The restaurant was not well maintained and the staff was not friendly. This was by far the worst vacation I have ever been on. I would NOT recommend this resort to anyone. Also, if you rent with off property renters beware that they do not give refunds in any circumstances. The hotel itself also will not assist you if you are not renting with them. Do not rent with this resort, there are a ton of better places.

• Stayed June 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Reviewed June 25, 2004

The Palace Resort was a filthy dump. I looked at two different rooms. I would not stay in either one of them. Management would not return my deposit, so I told them to keep it, and hire a maid to clean the nasty place. I had to take my family and search for another hotel.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed June 21, 2004

I've stayed at the Palace several times over the past few years, and every time it just gets progressively worse and worse. Here are some of my complaints: It takes FOREVER to get on one of their 3 elevators. The pool is TINY. The cleaning staff are rude (they walked in on us TWICE during our 2-day stay!!!), the halls are filthy, and the bartenders in the downstairs restaurant are horrible. However, here are my fairly positive comments: We stayed in room 1404, and it was fairly clean and had everything you could need to make you feel at home. We got the room for super cheap. I like the fact that it's more 'south' on the strip, and not in the middle of teenie-boppers around the pavilion. The pizza downstairs is GREAT. :)

Hope this helps!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2004

I chose this hotel by the pictures on the internet and also in the myrtle beach stay and play book. The pictures are deceiving. The Palace is a dump. We checked in on 6/13/04. When we got to the room, I was almost in tears. Everything was nasty. The carpet was beyond nasty. The glass in the room was smeared. The room stunk. I went back down to the service desk and asked if they could show me another room. They had us in a smoking room and we asked for nonsmoking. The service people were rude and not very helpful. They would not show me another room just said they would give me my money back. They did give me credit for all I had pain even the deposit. But we had traveled 8 hours. We did leave the Palace and went down the street to the Bluewater Resort and this was to our liking. I want anyone who reads this to understand that this is from someone who has really been at the Palace and this is not a joke. I read several messages on this site before our trip to The Palace and just thought the bad remarks were made by someone who just got ticked off at them or maybe another hotel. But they were right it is a dump.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2004

We stayed at the Palace from June 12th through June 19th, 2004. We rented a two bedroom unit from the front desk. I recommend renting from the front desk in case you have problems with the room. For example, the first unit we were given was awful. It was unit 1508. The carpet was filthy,the walls were dirty, the furniture was breaking apart , the beds sunk in the middle, and the television was so old that it looked like one that was made when tv's were first invented. When we made our reservations we specifically asked for a unit with three televisions therefore we went back to the front desk to complain. The front desk personnel accommondated our request and gave us another unit. We were given unit 2307 which was in much better condition. The only complaint was that the master bedroom matress was too hard. I can honestly say that the pictures on the internet and the outside of the resort looked much better than it really is on the inside. The elevators are dirty and slow at times. The interior hallway carpets are dark, old, and drab. I believe they were supposed to be green however looked black since the hotel is not well kept. We did have daily maid service and the unit did have all utensils necessary to cook a meal if you wish. All personnel at the Palace were friendly. The pool areas are well kept. In matter of fact, I was pleasantly surprised to see the outside pools so nice after seeing the hotel's interior. Our family will probably not stay there again. However, if you don't care about the quality of your accommodations and just want a clean bed to sleep in than this resort may work for you.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 16, 2004

Rented my room from the Wave Rider across the street......it was nasty.......furniture was old and run down......never saw the maids. Don't waste your money on this one.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
marion va
Reviewed June 15, 2004

We stayed at the Palace the week of June 6, 2004. After reading the reviews I didn't know what to expect. When we arrived we found it was clean, everyone was friendly, and yes the carpet wasn't real clean but it was sand not dirt. We will stay there again.

6 Thank luckycatMarionVa