Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #83 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I was a walk-in.The clerk at the desk tried to charge me more than necessary. They had dial-up internet and the guy told me how to get it, but it was complicated, so and I had to do without-that was inconvenient. The room was a studio. The queen bed was in the far corner and if laying it it, the tv couldn't be seen. It had a full kitchen and had a very good view of the ocean. The bathroom lights were dim but working at least. The walls had a hole or two in them, but okay. The room was clean, though. The maid was very nice each morning. The elevators were slow, but working. Parking was in the adjoining deck of the hotel. A couple of times, I had to walk down the steps because I waited and waited for the car to come and it never did. Beach out front was good. The indoor hot tub looked dirty to me, it had trash in it. There were mosquitoes and flies in there also. I would book again, but if you're looking for top of the line this isn't for you. Overall a pretty good deal for the price. Could be a really nice hotel with a few renovations.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank CinR84
There are newer reviews for The Palace Resort

Reviewed October 14, 2007

During the week of Oct.5-13 I stayed at the Palace Resort. Upon arrival I gave them my debit card to pay for my room. Later in the week I tried to use my debit card at a restaurant and it was declined for insufficient funds. I knew I had the money in the bank. I contacted my bank on Oct 12 and discovered that the hotel had overcharged me. My bill due was $383.04 and they took $1767.00 out of my checking account (using my debit card). I went to the office and asked to speak to a manager. Her name is Angie. She said "Oh we did overcharge you. Sorry about that." She reimbursed the money to me through my debit card. I told her that everything I had used my debit card for had been returned by my bank, causing my card purchases to bounce. I already had $150.00 in returned checks. She said she would check on what to do about the $150.00. I waited about an hour and went back to the desk. She told me "I'm working on it." She had called my bank and they told her they have to charge $30.00 for each returned charge. She tried to get my bank to take off the charges and they said they don't do that. I contacted her 3 times that day and she never gave me a response. I talked to the night manager and he told me Angie had left town and wouldn't return until Oct. 14. I told him I had to leave on the 13th and needed my money returned to me. They left me stranded without any money and I was unable to get any money from my checking account because of my debit card. They admitted to it being their fault but refused to give me the $150.00 back. I asked the night manager to call Angie and he wouldn't. I asked for the name of the owner of the resort and they refused to give it to me. I told them I was there with 2 children and no money to get home on or to feed my children with. They said "We're sorry about that." I tried to explain that I didn't bring much cash with me and I still had to feed my children. They refused to give me any help. The next morning when I checked out, I asked about my money. They told me they were still working on it. I asked to speak to the manager again. I got a different person. They told me there is nothing they can do. I asked again who owned the motel. I was told they can't tell me who it is and then told me it's owned by several individuals. They refused to tell me. I told them I needed money to get home on and they refused to reimburse my $150.00. I told them I was contacting my attorney and the Better Business Bureau. They told me that was fine with them. I asked to speak to Angie again and was told she was "out of town." Thankfully, I ran into someone I knew and they let me borrow enough money to buy gas and feed my children for the remainder of my stay. I was treated very rudely and they were extremely inconsiderate of what had happened to me. I still can't use my checking account because it takes several days for the money refunded to get to my bank. Now I am at home, with the same kind of problem. I can't even go to the grocery store because I can't use my checking account. This not only affected my vacation, but my home life as well. They admitted to being responsible but won't take the proper responsibility. They humiliated me and caused extreme stress on a vacation that was supposed to relieve me of stress and be a fun time with my children. Not only did they take my money, I had a light bulb out for 3 days before they would replace it. The motel doesn't have an ice machine because the refrigerators have ice makers in them. On my first day there, I asked for it to be looked at. I was told "It is broken and needs to be replaced. I can't replace it this week because it's bike week. You will have to buy ice if you want it." I was then told they would fix it on Wednesday. I had someone else come up and look at it and he acted like I was stupid. He said "You have it turned off." The ice maker wasn't turned off, it was broken. So I spent the entire week without ice. When I pay that much money for a room, I expect
I expect the Palace resort to reimburse me for the $150.00 fees from my bank and any other fees that are incurred as a result of their overcharging me. I also want to know the name of the owners of the resort so I can contact them personally to let them know how their business is being run. They told me I'm not the only person that has had this problem. It makes me wonder how much money they have stolen from other customers. I think they owe me an apology and my money returned. I am talking to my attorney about suing these people. When you spend that much money for a room, you expect a lot better service and you don't expect to have your checking account cleaned out by them.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank macbo2
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed 8 nights at the end of Sept and beginning of Oct. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Room 1908 had been updated I believe from other posts I've read. It had a very nice kitchen area. The bedrooms were on the small side from what I have stayed in before but we weren't in the room much anyway. The people at the Palace were very friendly. Shirley our maid took really good care of us and the room. She was a delight.
We left just as the bikers came in and sad to say as soon as they got there our stay was tainted. The last two nights were hard to get any sleep because of all the motors reving in the parking garage which had the lower level reserved for the motorcycles. Obscenities appeared on one of the elevator doors which we didnt care for since our daughter was with us. It's a shame adults choose to act that way.
Overall it was a nice stay and we will be back next year. Hopefully the bikes won't be.

1  Thank MeccTech
Reviewed October 7, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights in unit #1706. Very outdated, floors dirty, carpet dirty (afraid to take my shoes off!), water dripped from a/c vent in the ceiling onto the carpet. The bed was supposed to be a queen but was instead a very uncomfortable full size. The television cannot be seen from the bed. The wallpaper was peeling off in places and the chrome in the bathroom was rusty. There was a musty odor in the hallways and always a long wait for an elevator. I never even saw a maid, much less having any maid service in our room. The beautiful indoor pool on their website? If it exists, I never did find it. This was my first and last time at this hotel...I will go back to their sister property next door for my next trip, The Landmark Resort.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2007

The Palace Resort is not even close to a palace or a resort. It was more like a terrible low budget movie that you can't stop thinking about! We (myself,wife,daughter) arrived on a Friday evening around 5pm to one of the nastiest rooms we have ever been in. We were there long enough to discover the counters were filthy, the floors were sticky and appeared as though a cleaning service had never stepped foot in this room along with a stench in the air.
We immediately left in search of another hotel. Luckily we found a vacant spot for the weekend. We called The Palace Resort and explained the situation to management on our way back to pick up our things. They met us in the room and claimed it was in great shape. We explained the room was nothing like their website advertised. The staff was not friendly about the situation nor did they try to correct the problem. They were more interested in refunding the money than trying to fix the problem. We were not even offered an apology during this entire ordeal! Do not go by their website advertisement or the pictures displayed online.

Reviewed September 8, 2007

Having stayed at The Palace about 12 years ago, we were excited to stay again- at that time ( I was a teenager) we thought it was an awesome hotel- wow, things have changed! The hotel is very outdated, I think that everything is the same since our last visit. Compared to the newer hotels with more water features and amminties, they are lacking. We stayed in a two bedroom suite and our beds were really hard, the room not clean and our TV in the den did not work. The elevators had exposed wires and was quite slow and the couch in the lobby is the dirtest I have ever seen- it was gross! The crowd at the hotel was not what we expected. For the money we should have stayed somewhere else. We will NOT be staying at the Palace agian!

Reviewed August 26, 2007

We booked the room for 6 nights but we left on the 5th night. We couldnt take the dirty bed sheets, dirty carpet (that made your feet black from dirt) Also the room and the entire hotel is in need of remodeling and TLC.. Our room had 80's wall paper that was falling down and DIRTY carpet.. By far this is the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at! Only 3 elevators for 23 floors and the day we checked in only 2 were working so when you ddi get an elevator eveyone had to pack on there ... Not a good experience at all.. I would really think about staying in a different hotel. The view from the 18 floor was great but that was it. I also think that the 2 pools where way to small for such a big hotel. Hope this helps!! but I really wouldnt stay at this hotel if you like CLEAN ROOMS & SHEETS!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple