DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #43 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We arrived early on the day of check in-before lunch time. We were able to check in immediately and go right to our room before hitting the beach. Great location. It is very close to the airport, but flights stopped at a decent time at night and didn't start until 7 am. Great views of the pool area and ocean. The cafe on the pier offered good sandwiches and fries for lunch.

2  Thank mel100204
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed August 28, 2009

I was there for a family reunion that lasted for about 4 days. I was impressed with the hotel in genral. It is basically a private property at the end of the strip. Some of the things that impressed me the most was the pools, and the beach area. The hotel has about 6 pools, indoor and outdoor and 2 lazy rivers. I stayed in the Palmetto Dunes building, which was the most the " most luxury." It had a great view of the ocean and the room was nice and spacious. The only downside if you can call it that, is that the bathroom setup is a bit odd. The sink to the bathroom is outside of a the actual bathroom. They also dont have bar soap. They have dispensers, which in my opinions was a pretty good idea. One other problem with the room was that our a/c unit went out. I called the front desk and within 10 minutes they sent someone up to fix it. Next the beach is the best part. The springmaid pier seperates you from the other hotels, and you basically have a private beach! very nice. The conference center was very nice with good food and desserts. They also have security guards that patrol the hotel all day and night. In conclusion if you want a comfortable kid friendly hotel with a private beach area stay at springmaid!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank noopsky13
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I just got back from a trip with my sister, brother-in-law, 3 year old nephew, and 1 year old niece. It was a pretty cloudy/rainy couple of days but we still got some beach and pool time. When we first got there we checked in and went straight to the beach without checking out our room because the rain was coming and we wanted to get to the beach before it hit. When we got to our room we were on the 1st floor of the Live Oak building and there was a huge palm tree right in front of the balcony so we couldn't see anything. I went to the front desk to request a change in room and as I was waiting in line the power to the whole place went out! I talked with Ric and he told me that when the power came back on he would try to change our room but wasn't sure if he could. When the power finally came back on I went back and stood in line for awhile and got the room changed with no problem. The staff handled the power outage very well and were all very friendly and helpful. Our new room was great and pretty clean. I loved being able to wake up in the morning and sit up and see the beach right out our window. The 1st night when we got back to our room we called for a crib for my niece and to see if someone could come fix the flickering light in our bathroom. They were up to the room within 10 minutes! The pools were clean and the baby pools were perfect for my young niece and nephew. They loved it! We didn't eat in the restaurant so I can't comment but the cafe at the pier was good. Overall, the hotel staff was very helpful and the hotel is great for families traveling with young children. I would stay here again.

3  Thank sskibinski
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Springmaid is a fabulous place for families and couples. It is not a posh, snobby, over priced resort - THANK GOODNESS. Our little guys just loved all the pools, the pier and the beaches that were NOT crowded. The room had a flat screen TV and full size refrigerator. Our room had a beautiful (romantic) view, was super clean and freshly refurbished. Some of the reviews have stated that the hotel is old - I really didn't even notice because we were so busy enjoying ourselves on the pier and the beach. If you're looking for a nice, economically priced, quiet, clean place to stay OCEANFRONT then this is the place for you. We are planning to come back next year and stay at Springmaid. Oh yeah ... Springmaid is right next to the state park so that is why the beaches are not crowded.

2  Thank LibraryGirlVA
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I stayed here a few days with my grandparents. I think they were impressed with it, so I won't knock the hotel too much....but in my opinion, I wasn't 'feeling' it too much. This 'resort' is very old and seemed to be outdated to me. The room was decently clean. But in my opinion I don't really associate cleanliness with old and rusted, ya know. They do have several pools here, one of them I was impressed with. It was clean. This hotel is right on the oceanfront and does have a pier right in front of it. If you are an older person, please make sure you get a room next to an elevator!!! My grandfather is on oxygen and there was just sooooo much walking for him to have to do!! ****and make sure if your room IS next to an elevator, that they assure you it is a working elevator!!****
There is a cafeteria style restaurant on location. Price-wise, I can't really comment on that because I don't know what they paid for the stay, but if I am vacationing with my money, I would certainly not have chosen to stay here no matter how much of a deal it was....(but I don't actually think it was a 'deal')

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2009

When I booked our stay at this hotel, I was skeptical about it because of some of the reviews. We were going down to Myrtle Beach to visit my son and couldn't wait to get there. Some reviews made you think twice but so did reviews about all the other hotels that we stayed in. Not one hotel that we checked out on the internet had all great reviews, but this hotel had the least amt of "questionable" reviews and the price that we were able to get for 6 days was better than what the others offered. We arrived in Myrtle Beach and when we got to the hotel, the front desk people were very friendly and helpful. We went to our room and I was happy to see that the room was clean along with the bathroom and the refridgerator and microwave that were there for our use. We were able to see the ocean from our balcony and even from outside our entry door. The restaurant was very clean and the food was good and even on the pier - there was a cafe that served all the food that the kids wanted. The only thing is if you go out for the evening, you may not have a parking place when you get back. They do have a parking garage and on site parking lots, but they seem to fill up at night. I think it may have been because other cars were there that didn't show the parking pass in the window. The security should be on that a little better. We eventually found a space on the property but it was marked no parking - oh well... Other than that, everything was fine, the pools available were clean and enjoyable, the food was great and the people (guests) and staff were very friendly. We can't wait to go back again next year and yes we will stay at the Springmaid Beach Resort. Great time had by all !!!!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank airbrusheast
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I just got back from 4 days at the Springmaid Beach Resort with my husband and 2 small children. My husband and I were a bit disappointed overall. We found it quite laughable that they call themselves a resort. This should really be called a "motel on the ocean" because that is all it was. There are no hotel services to speak of. If anyone decides to stay at this property, make sure you bring your own towels since there will be none provided by the pool. Also make sure you have a car, since you will need to drive if you want to eat. Even though there was supposedly a restaurant on site, I never saw anyone in it or smelled any food coming from it. I also recommend a trip to a grocery store to buy beverages and snacks since I swear I only saw 1 vending machine during my entire stay. And finally make sure you bring a small cooler with you since you will not be able to get a drink anywhere by the pool, unless you go to the vending machine or feel like walking to the pier. Be prepared to have to hike back to your room if you have to visit the bathroom while you are by the pool since there are no facilities at ground level. Now for the positive comments about our stay. Our room was in the Live Oak building. Our room itself was fine. The room was clean and appeared to have been renovated recently and contrary to other reviews I have seen, we did have free wireless internet in our room. The bathroom itself was clean, but very outdated. There was no place to put any of your essentials since there was only a sink with no counter space at all. We also had a very nice view from our balcony of the ocean and the pier. But the balcony was in pretty sad shape with peeling paint and this rather gross carpet. I do not know what possessed them to carpet the outdoor areas like balconies and outdoor walkways? I would have been happier to see concrete rather than the ugly matted blue carpet. The pools were also nice. The water was warm and my kids had a blast in all of the pools we visited. We also saw people service and clean the pools ever morning, but by the end of the day, there was always sand and plant debris in the pools which can only be expected. We also loved the location on the beach. It was very quiet and clean with lots of shells to collect. We also enjoyed walking on the pier a few times too. I am not sure if this "service" had anything to do with the hotel or if it was from an outside source, but we were surprised to see beach chairs and umbrellas to rent for the day from the life guard. The cost was $30 for the day? I guess any other resort I have ever stayed at had these services provided for free. This price was also ridiculous since my husband inquired about the rental at about 3:00 in the afternoon so the day was basically done. Overall, I guess if you are looking for basic accommodations with a nice beach, then this would be a great choice for you. If you are looking for something that is more of a resort, then I suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family