“Wonderful Vacation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
maryland
“Wonderful Vacation”
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Just returned from a 4 day stay at the SpringMaid Beach Complex. I stayed in the Cypress Building (the smallest of all the buildings) and was very impressed. The room was very clean, comfortable and spacious. Rooms had double beds, a 19" TV. Dressers and an Armoire. A good sized refrigerator and microwave. My only concern was that there was 1 sink in the room. You had to make that do for both bathroom and kitchen duties. This is a minor setback that I could handle as I have heard of and read worse "vacation horror" stories.

After reading previous reviews, I was very hesitant about choosing this site for my first vacation in years but I am so glad that I did.
I went to Myrtle Beach for the sand and water and that is exactly what I got. The fact that hotel room actually looked like the picture provided at the time of booking is a definite plus. The beach was never crowded. At times we were there by ourselves.

The exterior is very well maintained. The staff was professional and courteous.
I will definitely return to the Springmaid Complex in the future. We're already looking forward to next summer!

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank wicochic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
Reviewed August 8, 2005

First off, let me remind anyone reading this review that you will likely get pretty cheap rates at this ocean front resort. If you, however, are looking for a four star experience, do not stay here--and don't whine about it if you do. This isn't the Hilton and it never professes to be the Hilton.

This is an old resort (actually built by the owner of Springmaid as a resort for its employees). They have recently done some rennovation, but could do some more. The rooms are pretty large, but sparsely decorated and the furniture has seen some wear. Still, the beds were comfortable and the linens were clean contrary to some other reports. In addition, our maid service was prompt and efficient. Our room had a full sized refrigerator with an automatic ice maker, a little microwave, a coffee pot, and a very nice large safe.

I found the service to be above average (a problem with our TV was promptly corrected) and everyone was helpful and friendly. And the beach itself is not overcrowded. The resort sits on a pier and guests have complementary access. There are also multiple swimming pools and a lazy river. My 9 year old son had a great time in both.

Closer to Murrel's Inlet and Pawley's Island, but still a quick drive to Broadway at the Beach, this hotel sits far enough away not to be in the middle of everything--its the last resort on S. Ocean Blvd--but its close enough to get where you want to go--unless its North Myrtle Beach which is a good ways away.

As far as food, the food in the grill is reasonably priced--sorry, but I don't think a burger and fries for $4 is exhorbitant. The buffet that is served in Marlins restaurant is cafeteria fare, but at $8 for dinner and $6 for breakfast--and kids half price--it sure is a pretty good deal for a quick meal if you don't want to go wait an hour for dinner somewhere!

There are children's activities each day for the kids and the resort has a small putt putt course and arcade. I was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, I would stay here again in a minute. The price is right, and I generally don't hang around the resort for the ambiance--I come to Myrtle Beach for golf, shopping and (of course) the beach.

Don't be afraid to stay here--unless you prefer 4 star quality. If you do, go ahead and pay your $250 a night and stay elsewhere because you'll be happier. :)

• Stayed August 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2005

The location of this hotel was great, because it is on the beach and isn't in a crowded section of myrtle beach. It wasn't very clean but, it was ok since we weren't in the hotel much. Pray for sunshine cause you won't want to be stuck in this hotel

• Stayed July 2003
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I recently returned from a beach vacation at Springmaid with my family. I was leary after having read all the reviews from this and other sites. We were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was very clean and looked just like it did in the picture at their website. The pools and all of the grounds were clean. There was a lot of airport traffic over the hotel area, but it ceased at night, or we just didn't hear it. We really enjoyed the free access to the pier which also featured a small eatery and gift/tackle shop. All of the Springmaid staff were friendly and helpful. We really liked the privacy of the resort as it is at the very end of Myrtle Beach and away from the street noise and traffic. We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Don't waste your money on the Spring Maiden Beach Resort. The room was very dirty, over-priced, and totally unacceptable. When we called the front desk to complain, the staff was rude. We ended up checking out after only one night and had to scramble to find other accomodations.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
fayetteville ohio
Reviewed July 11, 2005

I am doing my civic duty in helping anyone wanting to stay at this hotel.
If you like dirty rooms, lousy maid service, dirty pools, hair clumped air conditioning units, black smudged hand prints on walls and around light switches, damp carpeting, tiny bathrooms, patios without ANY privacy, filthy stinking elevators, and last but not least, some kind of mystery matter smeared on the head board of your bed, all in a loud cheesey environment, then this my friend is your oasis. Never Ever Again.

• Stayed August 2004
11 Thank gillardorange
Reviewed July 9, 2005

I have never stayed in a place I hated worse. They promote the lazy river, well it was the smallest lazt river I have ever seen. I just told the maids to go away and then the quite time. I had two teenagers with me and no they weren't loud but we felt afraid to move or make the least little noise. I am taking my daughter to the beach at the end of the month and she said she didn't even want to go if we were going to stay at the springmaid. The elevators were broken half the time and it was actually quite depressing and I have never had that happen at the beach. I would never stay there again

Stayed July 2003
Royale Palms Condominiums by Hilton
Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center Hotel
Anderson Ocean Club & Spa, Oceana Resorts
The Patricia Grand, Oceana Resorts

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!