“Very Accommodating Resort - Excellent Location, Good Food, Clean Beach and Property”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We have just returned from a 4 night stay (April 20 - 24) at this lovely resort. The staff is very pleasant and willing to satisfy needs of the guests. It's at the southern end of the "Grand Strand" and the location is perfect for relaxation and strolling along the clean grounds and beach front property.

Breakfast is a full buffet with the option of freshly prepared omlettes or waffles. There is a nice gift shop and cafe at the begining of the pier. The cafe features reasonably priced, simple foods and the gift shop sells fishing supplies as well as beverages, cigarettes, "fun in the sun" items and interesting souviners.

There are at least 3 buildings at this resort. The building where we stayed was called Palmetto Dunes and we stayed in room 501 that was perfect in all ways. It's a corner room overlooking the ocean (all rooms offer a view) but this room offers the sound of the ocean with the balcony door open. It was clean and the decor was calm and relaxing. Nothing fancy, but very accommodating with a large counter top to hold personal items on the outside of the tub/toilet area. Beside the window is medium sized table with 2 chairs and of course there is that fantastic view of the ocean.

The room offers a free safe (you decide your passcode) with unlimited access. A nice feature that gives freedom to enjoy your vacation without worrying about missing items or cash.

The pool areas were separated by clean walkways and this location does offer the opportunity to walk to Damons Restaurant (either by way of the beach area or by way of a street path with very little traffic).

There are dollies available beside the elevators to ease the burden of transporting luggage to your room. There is plenty of parking and the spots accommodate all sizes of vehicles.

All in all, it's a great resort, so pack your things and see if room 501 is available!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Love_Florida_Sun
Write a ReviewReviews (2,852)

Reviewed April 13, 2009

It has been a while since I have came onto TripAdvisor to find the need to really write a review. Since the last time, I have stayed at many hotels, but have not had the time to write a review. However, this time, I found it necessary to really take my time to let people know about this place. I am not a very picky person, and it does not take much for me to be please, so with that said I am writing the most honest review I can.

I booked a last minute resort for the Easter Holiday weekend, this trip is fresh so I still have everything on mind. After searching for the best rate online through every website imagined, I came across Springmaid and decided to book b/c the website pictures were pretty reasonable and it was near a pier which my husband absolutely wanted. I read the reviews from here and was very hesitant, to book, but at 2 AM, and trying other places that they all were booked, I said what the heck, lets book it. It was the Bed and Breakfast with the Hospitality Room for $360 for fri and sat night, check out sunday. What a rip OFF.

So, upon arrival, we pulled up to all 3 towers searching for the reservation checkin. It was late and already dark so we were looking for signs and everything to point us in the right direction. Needless to say, the check in was in a separate building across the street with nothing saying "CHECK IN HERE". The sign is in small letters that said Reservation or something to that nature. Strike one. Lucky, the check-in girl was friendly. That I can say was my only positive experience, the conversation with the check in girl, whose name I can not remember, however she was pregnant.

So, we got checked in and assured that all the rooms are updated. We parked the car, walked to our room and open the door. We had the hospitality room? What the heck kind of HOSPITALITY is it when the toilet does not work, there is NO bath TUB just shower that was dirty and the curtain looked like it had MOLD spots on it. There were no cups for coffee but a coffee maker...how ironic? The room was spacious I can say that, but there were two tiny Double Beds. I thought the website said Queen? Oh did I mention, 4 out of the 6 light lamps did not work? Strike 2.

I immediately called the front desk to advise them of the situation, all the stuff I indicated above, and that the website is very decieving. Of course I had to argue with the manager who really tried his best to accomodate me to another room. But, at the time, I have 2 small children age 4 and 18 months, and with the impression I already had, I was not going to risk wasting my time to get to another room. I demanded my refund, despite the policy, and left to seek another hotel. Strike 3.

If you have small children, like to stay at a comfortable hotel that is clean, or looking for a place that has the convenience of an efficiency with a stove, and on a budget, PLEASE DO NOT BOOK this PLACE! However, if you are people who are just looking to stay somewhere to crash and looking for a Motel 6 type of accomodation and like paying a lot of money for that type of stay, go ahead and book this place.

1  Thank lxayavong
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay in the Palmetto building. We had a wonderful view of the ocean. We enjoyed the location because it was quiet. The resort is a bit older but nice. Our room was clean and we received fresh towels daily. The hotel is located near the airport so planes flew over the building frequently. Took a little getting used to. Overall we enjoyed our stay here.

Reviewed April 10, 2009

I am still at the hotel as I write this review. It is fresh in my head so I needed to review this hotel. The stay was okay but if you wanted to be closer to the action of Ocean Blvd this is not the place to be. It is quiet on the beach which was nice for the wife and I. The two teenage boys had fun keeping busy.

We decided to sleep in Friday morning so had the do not disturb sign on the door. We called the front desk to let them know that we were in the room when housekeeping came by and wanted to let them know we would be leaving the room so housekeeping can come back and do what they need to do. The front desk person said not to worry, the room would be cleaned by housekeeping. We spent the whole afternoon and evening out and about tand all I wanted to do was to take a nice hot shower and hit the bed. We got back to the room and nothing had been touched. No clean towels nothing. So I write this review to tell everyone not to stay here unless you don't mind not having your room cleaned.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
javaman1501, manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2009

Dear Past Guest,

After reading your review I must apologize for the failure on our behalf. We try to schedule around what is convient for you but unfortunaly we did not follow up on our normal operating procedures. Please forgive us as we strive to make constant improvements to our facilities and our customer service. In the future if there is anything we can do to enhance your experience please let us know.

Reviewed April 7, 2009

I've had many great experiences staying at Springmaid. From renting just one room to a whole block, they are more than willing to work with you anyway they can. You are guaranteed an Ocean View with just about any room and can see water for miles. Not to mention the great green lawn, expansive beaches, wonderful pools, and a fabulous breakfast. Springmaid is the only hotel I stay at on the Grand Strand.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2009

This was just one of many times we have stayed at springmaid beach resort. every year when i was a little girl we always stayed at springmaid. it would not be a vacation without staying there. if we didn't it would feel like something was missing. we will always stay here it is a family tradition and this is one tradition that will never be broken. You never have to worry about your children there is something for them to do. i recommend anyone coming to springmaid beach resort. GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank spurds
Reviewed November 26, 2008

I have stayed at this property twice and had a great time on both occassions. I do not really consider this a "resort" but it is clean and in a good location. If you want something a little bit away from the main hotels this is a good choice. I liked the pool area and the pier a lot. Not spectacular but good for the price. I think this hotel is better for families with children to mid-teens.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends