“Please Read Before Renting!!”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #37 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Candy Charlotte
“Please Read Before Renting!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2008

oh my GOD!! This resort is a joke. I looked at 3 different rooms and wasn't please with any oth them. I could say a whole lot of terrible things about the resort or hotel what every you want to call it but all am going to say is DON'T RENT FROM THEM YOU WILL BE WASTING YOU TIME AND MONEY!!!!! We ended up getting our money back and finding a room on our own that was a whole lot better.

Stayed September 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
Detroit
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My family stayed at the Springmaid Beach Resort from 8/29-9/2 there was a lot to do in addition to my wedding there were 2 or 3 other events going on. we had a lovely and memorable time. Yes compared to some of the other resorts Springmaid was a little "ordinary but the staff went out of their way to ensure our comfort and happiness. As a flustered Bride they asked me if there was anything I needed, or anything they could do for me. I was so glad that I didn't change resorts We all enjoyed ourselves and when we go back to Myrtle Beach we will definitely consider staying there again

• Liked — oceanfront
  • Disliked — poor cell phone reception in rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
knighdale, NC
Reviewed September 1, 2008

After reading online the reviews I was so scared to go to this "resort" that was made out on there own website to be spectacular. Let me say that that it was NOT. But it was acceptable. We stayed in the Cypress building. (the oldest, we didn't know this at the time of booking. It had been updated though.) There are three buildings, live oaks, cypress and palmetto. All total have EIGHT pools to choose from. Three for tots... two lazy rivers and one indoor/outdoor (2) pools and one large outdoor pool that was oceanfront and was the view from our room too. All rooms have a nice view of the ocean and resort pools and palms. The room is not 5 star... but neither is the price you pay. The pools and the beach more than make up for it. The breakfast however was typical buffet hotel garbage. Although was lots of fruit! :)

Cons The Pools Didn't Open Until 9am BUT MOST NOT UNTIL 10 AM!!! Too Late In The Morning.

The Rooms Buildings were dated. and no elevator in cypress (only three floors high, we were on the third floor though!)

Beach Chairs are available... but most PAY!

Pros Some of The Pools Were Open Late Until 11PM But Most Until 10PM!

The Decor Was Updated, The Towels Seemed New AnD WHITE! They had shower dispensers for soap/lotion/shampoo/conditioner. Instead of small bottles that are hardly enough to use.

The pier was free and open until 12AM ...

The Beach was quiet and CLEAN!

onsite mini golf

away from the typical colorful loud and not so family friendly myrtle beach strip.

All In all Good "resort" if thats what you want to call this place. Great beach access and use of pools. Our family of FIVE loved it... three kids under 4yrs old played in the sand and felt the ocean waves then got to play in the kid friendly pools.

• Liked — The Pools and Beach!!!
  • Disliked — No High Speed WiFi and a bit run down
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank threeisit4me
North Carolina
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We have been long time patrons of Springmaid Beach & have seen many changes over the 15 yrs we have been staying there. My family and I have stayed in both the Live Oaks building and the Palmetto building over the years. We have always liked the Palmetto building since it is the "newer" building. This time I took my teenage daughter & a friend and my teenage son and a friend for a quick "before school starts" mini vacation. We stayed in a 2 bedroom room in the Live Oaks building. While I could tell by the room they had spent time renovating the Live Oaks building (it has seen better days), I was still disappointed in the room. The bathtub was so clogged that water quickly filled the tub when you took a shower. It was disgusting. To add to the dismay of the clogged tub, the shower had so much water pressure that it actually hurt to take a shower. I tried many different ways to lesson the flow; however it didn't work. There was mold all around the top of the shower as well as around the bottom of the tub & in the door jam. The "new" vinyl flooring they put in the room around both the doors was curling up & pulling away from the doors. The carpet was dingy & didn't feel very clean. When we came back into the room after a few hours away with the air conditioning off, the room really smelled musty. While the room did have a full size fridge in the mini kitchen, it prevented you from closing one of the bedroom doors for privacy. The whole point of renting the 2 bedroom room was to give both sets of teenagers privacy in their own bedroom. Also, while they tout their great lazy rivers, the lazy river at the Live Oaks building was nasty. You could tell by the brown build up of gunk on the bottom of the lazy river, it had not been cleaned in a long time. I am diapoointed enough in this stay that I may not stay there again. I have long touted the benefits of this hotel to my family & friends....the great price, the nice pier, the cleaniness of the rooms (even though its obviously an old hotel) and the pool area but...after this stay....I don't feel I could recommend it anymore.

• Liked — the pier & the access to the beach
  • Disliked — the lack of cleanliness in both the room & the pools
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank stateecufan
NC
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We just returned from a long weekend stay at Springmaid beach resort . We had stayed there about 6 years ago and had looked forward to some peace and quiet since the resort is farther south from most of the hustle and bustle. Unfortunatelly when we called and booked the reservations a few months back, the operator forgot to mention that there would be a 4 day NCA cheer camp for 800 cheerleaders at the resort our entire stay. So from 6:30 am until close to midnight, we heard the booming music out on the lawn and cheer chants. We stayed in the Palmetto Building on Level One. The condition of the room was not as seen on the website.The room was very plain. The refridgerator was rusted from top to bottom on the left hand side. The bathroom door would not shut. I did not feel comfortable walking barefoot in this room. The beds were very uncomfortable and the pillows which were flat as a pancake & smelled like mildew.
The day after check-in, we went down to the pool area. The water was very dingy and I did not see anyone maintenance the pool area our entire stay (and our room was right over it) We decided to head to the beach instead. We returned to our room around 3 to find that it had not been cleaned, nor did we have clean towels, we called the front desk. At around 5, yes 5pm, a very unfriendly housekeeping lady came by & dropped off some towels, we asked for some extra pillows, she never returned with those. The rest of the weekend was pretty much the same some times they brought towels, making beds and vaccumming the room must be a thing of the past. The elevator broke one day while we were there and we had to use the stairwells, they were very dark and very smelly. We did not visit the restuarant, because the 800 cheerleaders had their meals there. We paid $169 a night for this room, I am very dissappointed with the quality of the resort. I don't really consider this a resort. We did call the front desk and complain and were told the manager was not there. I do not recommend this "resort"

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank usand2kids
florida
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I recently visited thespringmaid beach resort hotel in myrtle beach s.c from 07/31/08-08-03/08,. MY family and I were there for our 4th mitchell-vice family reunion.unlike the brochure we were sent ,there were a big difference in the rooms.The room was very deceiving.We had family come from all over the world to this dump of a hotel. I was so embarrassed. The registration office was very nice and clean.and to see the room p-114,wow what a difference. my entire group was placed in the palmetto blvd, which is across the street from a trailer park. we were all floored at the conditions of the rooms we were given.Please keep in mind that each room cost us from $145.00- $169.00 per night. the condition of the rooms were so bad i felt bad for the older members who were not able to take a bath becauseof the condition and the look of the tub area. the floors were very sandy and dirty carpet. I noticed crumbs were under the bed the first night we checked in and the same crumbs were there the second day after the maids had clean the room. The one dresser that was in my room only one drawer was usable. the bathroom walls were peeling and the tub had plumbing problems.this place was not suitable for a animal.If I could rate this property it would be a zero the lowest score possible. I did leave comments for upper management. i was robbed. thanks veronica nesbitt, lake mary florida.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank classylady54
javaman1501, Operations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 12, 2008
Dear Past Guest,

We would like to first take the opportunity to thank you for providing us with feedback about your stay. We are in the business to provide families with an afforadable and enjoyable vacation. After reading your blog on tripadvisor it is clearly stated that there were several issues or concerns that were not to your expectations. Prior to any potential group or convention bookings we offer them a site visit where those may view the property with any of our sales staff so that we may answer any questions or concerns that may arise. Again thank you for your time and feedback!
Atlanta
Reviewed August 2, 2008

If you value you or your families safety don't go there! Don't believe the website first of all! The website makes it look like a new resort and it was probably built in the 40's. I was really excited when I looked at the website and thought this was gonna be nice. What a dump! Rooms are disgusting! There was mold and rust around the bathtub and handprints and nastiness all over the walls. Each time that someone would come in and out of a neighboring room the connecting doors between rooms would rattle loudly like someone was trying to get into the room. Don't expect to get sleep if young people are next to you. The linens are gross and soiled. They advertise 6 pools which is bull! They count the kiddy pools and so on. There is really only 1 pool that you can swim in. My living room is probably bigger than the lazy river they advertise. The pools were cracked around the edges and missing tiles. I didn't see anyone clean the pool the entire time I was there which was a week. The inspectors should be called about their supposed indoor pool. You could get tetnis from it. It is true that it is convenient to the beach and pier. However those are the only positive things that I can honestly say. They didn't even have wireless internet in the rooms. This is 2008 right? U had to go across the street to the arcade to use it which was inconvenient. I would spend a little more money and find another resort! Trust me!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality of the resort
  • Stayed July 2008