“Decent and Quiet”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #47 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here for our summer trip in June 2013. We drove from the Atlanta area. It was a straight shot for the most part. It was only when we got close to the beach that we had to drive on state roads and make all sorts of twists and turns to get to the beach. But once we made it to Myrtle Beach the resort was easy to find. It was apart from the main hotel strip and proved to be quieter and more relaxing.

The standard hotel room contained two queen beds, a table with two chairs, a dresser, a microwave, full-sized refrigerator, and an in-room safe. It was clean and looked recently upgraded. There was a balcony with a great view of the ocean. All the rooms opened to the outside. The building we stayed in had a number of floors with elevator access. There is one building that is only two stories and has no elevator. There was also a parking garage.

We ate at the pier restaurant for breakfast one day. It was just ok and we did not return. The pier was long and we took a quiet walk to the end. There was plenty of opportunities for fishing.

We paid admission for the luau on Wednesday evening. It included an outdoor meal and show. I was entertained, but my husband wasn't that thrilled. The luau was run by a company contracted by the resort during the summer months. It was a bit too pricey for what we got.
We also tried the buffet for breakfast at the resort. I believe the food quality and taste were lacking. We chose to eat at local restaurants from then on.

My children enjoyed the pools. They especially liked the lazy river. The water was clean and not over-crowded. Each building had their own pools so that kept the use in check. The beach was clean and we didn't have to worry about anyone trying to sell us anything while we were there.

There were also resort activities and miniature golf, but we did not participate because we had tickets to other attractions in Myrtle Beach.

It was a nice, quiet trip. The hotel was nice and we would like to go again, but the food was lacking.

We booked this trip through the Pirates Voyage website and chose Springmaid from the list of approved hotels. Check in and check out went smoothly and the staff were polite.

Room Tip: Get a room in the building with the elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,854)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Had a good experience at the resort. I would not recommend Marlin's restaurant due to the price and food quality but it was not horrible. Staff was friendly and the bath is a little small but the sink and mirror ect. is on the outside of it which allows one person to be getting ready while the other showers. Works out well. Carpet is pretty worn but overall the room is pretty clean and nice. I would recommend it and will probably stay again. and there were "NO BED BUGS"! which was a big deal for us lol

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed here from July 28-31. First room was nice and clean, had to be moved to a second room the the second night because toilet overflowed causing water everywhere! A few of our things got wet. Second room not so clean. Multiple hair strands everywhere which grossed me out. Refrigerator was not as clean. Disappointed no word from management regarding toilet overflow and things getting wet, that's poor customer service. Other than that nice resort and descent rooms. Not sure if we will stay again. This resort is far away from Broadway. Round trip cap was 40 bucks. Not much around resort but their own eatery.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I surfed the web for days looking for the perfect hotel/resort. Finally, I asked a friend and they mentioned the Springmaid Resort. When I called the resort, the gentleman was very friendly and helpful in finding me the perfect room for our first stay in Myrtle Beach. Everything was better than expected. Any time we needed assistance, there were always workers around in some capacity to assist us. The area is very private and family oriented. We were right by the pier and the kids loved it. They were able to see a jellyfish and baby shark all in the same day.

1  Thank jdl1640
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I came here with my wife for her family reunion. I can honestly say that my room was clean and the service at the front desk was good as well, but that is where things stop. The customer service outside of the reception was poor. When I was in our room we asked for another set of towels, because we noticed a stain on a few towels, not a big deal. When the towels came we thought the would have been replaced. Instead we were giving a large bag of towels and the woman who dropped them off just left. Also, the food is horrible at all places on the resort. I have never tasted such bad food. We were in the conference center for a dinner for the family. The food was cold and lacked taste at times. They had pulled pork which tasted like feet. After the dinner, I had to wheel my wife's cousin in a wheel chair back to her room. The wheel chair was provided by the resort and it was of poor quality. The wheels did not work well. We saw a worker from the hotel on a golf cart. We were about fifty yards from our room. We asked him if he could give my wife's cousin a ride back to the room. He told us no. He may have had a good reason, but 50 yards for a 70 year-old woman does not seem like a daunting task to me. Finally, I accidentally left my phone charger and case in my hotel room. I called to see if I could get it returned. I was given a runaround and I left a voice message. I am still waiting to be called back.

Room Tip: Get a room that over looks the beach. It smells great in the morning. Be careful not to get a room t...
1  Thank kscorreia
Donald H, Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Kscorreia,

I'm very sorry that our resort & accommodations weren't to your satisfaction.After reading your review, I am very disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. We appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention, and we value your comments, feedback and your business with us.I understand that you are leery of returning to our facility based on your most recent experience, however with the improvements we are constantly making to better serve our guests I can assure you that if you decide to return your stay will be one with positive memories.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

For the price it definitely is not worth it. I typically don't write reviews but I felt I needed to alert the next family not to expect too much. I travel a lot and I must say this was the worst. Not sure if its because I booked on Expedia or what but this was a dirty hotel. Pictures online look really good but trust me, that's just a picture. Also you need to be one that don't mind the airplanes flying over...that along with the noisy maid service will be your early morning alarm clock.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Dtraveler01

Dear Dtraveler01,

After reading your review, I am very disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. We strive to accommodate our guests to the best of our abilities and I am sorry that we fell short in your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we work to make our resort one everyone will want to stay. We appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention, and we value your comments, feedback and your business with us.I understand that you are leery of returning to our facility based on your most recent experience, however with the improvements we are constantly making to better serve our guests I can assure you that if you decide to return your stay will be one with positive memories.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

When we used the resort it was perfect. If you are in your room you are not at the beach so in my opinion the amenities are irrelevant. Definitely purchase the early bird special. It will save a lot of money and their breakfast is great.

Room Tip: Stay as close to ground as possible. The elevator is really slow. There is one elevator for a pote...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Larry P,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and comments with us. We are excited to read your review and to hear that everything was perfect during your stay with us. We look forward in having you and the family back with us on your next visit to Myrtle Beach.