DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
GreenLeadersSilver level
Shelby, NC
“Golden Oldie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed at The Springmaid Dec 26-30. Although it is an older property, the staff has worked at keeping it clean and updated. We had a new flatscreen and updated microwave and fridge. The staff is awesome and the breakfast is the best. Are there more fancy motels in the area? Sure. Are there any cleaner, better values in the area? Not that I've found.
You know, I enjoy seeing the big planes flying by. I look foward to my next trip to the Springmaid!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pier.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 4, 2012
Dear Past Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! We work hard on our customer service and providing a clean, updated property. Thank you for joining our family and we look forward to seeing you soon.

SMB Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

I'd read all of the reviews, negative and positive - trip advisor can be rather mean and I've learnt to take them with a pinch of salt.
My partner and I enjoyed this so much that we actually extended our stay - check in and check out were handled quickly and really well. When we extended our stay the receptionist was very helpful and spent several minutes to find me the best rate.
We had a great view of pier and beach, as well as the grounds.

There is no ice machines as some reviewers complained but the freezers in the rooms have an icemaker - just turn it on. Very convenient as I hate roaming corridors in the middle of the night looking for an ice machine.

The indoor pool was a little chilly but not too bad. We stayed in for some time though.

There were a few maintenance issues that I noticed but staff were seen to be working on other projects so I'm sure that these would also be resolved during the off-season. Room was very clean, bed was really comfortable.

Basically this was a great resort for the price and we will be staying again.

Room Tip: If you're fussy select one of the newer buildings, we stayed in palmetto but would guess live oa...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tanithw
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for listing your positive and negative comments on your recent stay. I am glad that after reading all the reviews, you decided to take them with a pinch of salt. We do listen to our guests and take everything that is said to heart. Sometimes we are able to take what was written and make it happen. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Ottawa, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

Location was awful unless you love listening to huge airplanes fly over every 5 mins.. located way too close to the airport.. check-in is across the road which took us a while to figure that out. There were NO ice machines anywhere or vending machines and the ones they did have were out or order. The place smelled, the carpet in the halls was disguisting! When we got to our room we found out it was a handicapped room so everything was extremely low including the shower head which was very inconvenient! I would never stay here again.. They act and look like a fancy resort in hawaii but it is far from it. We left after only one night!

Room Tip: Do no stay here..
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jessica M
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Dear Past Guest,

After reading your review, I am disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. Being located directly across the street from the airport has its advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately the disadvantage is the noise all the airplanes generate. I would like to apologize for the room that you were in. We would have gladly moved you from the handicap room to a regular one. Thank you for sharing your comments and I hope that in the future you will give us another chance to leave a positive lasting impression.

SMB Management
Conway, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

This is the 2nd year we have stayed here during the winter for a mini-vacation. This time we invited friends from out of state and we all had a great time. Very kid friendly. The indoor pool area was in better shape than last year but it could have used more heat although the kids didnt seem to mind! The staff is always friendly and helpful and reserving a room directly with the facility is very easy. We didnt have any trouble with any part of our stay and look forward to returning!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BBoyles2005
Dear Past Guest,

Welcome back and thank you for sharing your comments with us. It is always wonderful to hear how our guests’ vacation went especially during the winter months. We work hard on our customer service and it is always wonderful to hear that our efforts continue to pay off. Thank you for joining our family and we look forward to seeing you again.’

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

okay where do I start , they say we have an indoor heated pool and while this maybe technically true, pool water temperature is 84 and the room temperature is 64. They claim to have wifi, but even after calling the desk we had no connection for 4 days. There are no ice machines located on the resort floors and we were told that this was for sanitary reasons and that is why we had a ice maker in our refrigerator. The only problem was the ice maker did not work ,but a nice gentleman from the front desk brought us up a bag of ice. The bed was rather hard and housekeeping was very nice and brought us a couple of extra blankets for padding. There was a hole in our bathroom ceiling, should I say our tiny bathroom.
the bathroom is so small that you have to step into the bathroom to the side of the commode just to be able to shut the door. We had a 2 bedroom efficiency in the live oaks building . The view of the ocean and the pier from our room is fantastic with the sunrise b n right behind the pier. Last but not least on our last night there was an explosion in the maintenance room on the third or fourth floor. fire alarm went off about 3 in the morning and we evacuated the building . We went back in about 345 am. At check out the lady at the front desk was very nice discounted our last night off our bill. Even though ouro vacation was still great I do not believe I can recommend this resort to any of my friends.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank sdhendric
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed 5.5 hours. No water. No toilet after water repaired. No hot water ever. Staff unable to place me and pet in room with these amenities. Management completely unresponsive to problem. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank anne l
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Past Guest,

I am sorry to hear that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. You stated that you were here for 5.5 hours with no water. I do apologize for that. We had a pipe burst and had to shut down the building to fix it. During that time, we offered you the use of a different room till the problem was fixed. We could not relocate you to a different building because you were traveling with a pet and we have to be strict on the location of our pet rooms. I am truly sorry that you feel that management was not responsive to your situation. We feel that we did the best that we could by refunding you your deposit. Thank you for sharing your comments and I hope that in the future you will give us another chance to leave a positive lasting impression.

Monroe, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have been a guest of Springmaid for as long as I can remember and it is by far, the best resort in Myrtle Beach! I've stayed at other resorts in Myrtle, North Myrtle and Cherry Grove and nothing compares to the quality and ammenities that Springmaid offers. If you are looking for a nice, quiet family atmosphere, this is your place. Springmaid is its on little town! With beautiful grounds, putt-putt, arcades, a pier and restaurants..everything you need is right there for people of all ages! My family and I have traveled there for over 30 years and hope to make it another 30! The staff goes beyond the call of duty to assist you and with improvements being made regularly, I can promise you, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family